1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wondering about missionaries

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lewsir, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Lewsir

Lewsir Chieftain

Basic question (I am still just fiddling around with the demo, waiting for Christmas for the game :rolleyes: - so I don't have the manual...)

But anyway I can't quite figure out how the missionaries work. I've tried send off a couple into cities and nothing seems to happen. Is there a certain percent chance of them succeeding? Or is it just that they set in motion a tendency for the city to flip religions? I presume they are more effective against cities with no religion, but do they work against cities that already have a relgion?

Thanks for any hints...

2. mitsho

mitsho Deity

How to use missionaries:

1. Move them in a non-converted city (need open borders)
    2. Press the 'convert' button (on the bottom of the screen, where all the other buttons are too (for example dissolve, go to, group, etc.
    3. The missionary now tries to convert the city, the chance is connected to enemy civics (theology) and mostly the amount of religions already present in the city.
    4. the missionary vanishes...

Clear? ;)

3. Lewsir

Lewsir Chieftain

Okay thanks, but when you say "unconverted" city, do you mean just that it doesn't already have your state religion, or that it doesn't have any religion? Can you convert cities from their state religion to yours?

And how do you know if you were successful? Does the religion change instantly?

Finally, any sense of probabilities would be welcome (i.e. how various factors influence success rate, if indeed any do).

4. Lewsir

Lewsir Chieftain

Sorry, double posting and can't figure out how to delete this one...

5. Skippa

Skippa Noble

OK here is a Missionary 101

1/Missionaries are units used to spread religion (though religion can spread without Missionaries)

2/A Missionary can go to any city on the Map that is within your borders or part of a country that you have an open borders agreement with.

3/A Missionary can attempt to spread its religion in any city that it can reach unless the civilization has Theology. In that case only the state religion of that civ can be spread (I believe that you can still spread all religions within your empire but Theology prevents others from spreading a non state religion in your civ and you from spreading a nonstate religion in another civ)

4/If a Missionary can attempt to spread religion here is the basic process.(This all happens instantly so you'll know whether it worked or not during the same turn. A Red message appears in the log if you fail to spread the religion)

i) for a city with no religion you are guaranteed to spread into that city.

ii) As the city gains more religions the chance of spread is decreased so it may take many attempts to spread into the city. I find that if a city has 1 or 2 religions I'm upset when a religion spread doesn't work. If it has 5 or 6 I'm not surprised if the next religion doesn't spread.
    But remember this is about probabilities so you may spread the 7th religion in one shot but have to try 4 or 5 times to get a 3rd religion in a city

5/
    I don't like to use the word conversion in reference to cities because, while you are converting population to the new religion in a sense, you are really just spreading the new religion to the city. As the game is coded once a religion spreads to a city it cannot be removed (unless the city is destroyed :D )

An entire civilization(as opposed to cities) can be converted, however. The leader picks this based on diplomatic deals and the population percentage that practices that religion. Basically if Montezuma has 5 cities total, 2 cities with Judaism and 4 with Hinduism he'll probably choose Hindu as the state religion (population size of cities and population distribution between religions in cities with both religions all factors into this).

So in light of all of this an uncoverted city that mitsho was refering to is one without the religion that you want to spread. And you can spread any religion to a city as long as the Civ doesn't have Theology and a State religion different from the one you are spreading.

6. Lewsir

Lewsir Chieftain

Hey great, thanks so much. Extremely helpful.

Only remaining question is: does a successful conversion always happen immediately? If you hit the convert button and nothing changes in the city, does that mean the missionary has failed? Or is there a chance of change 1 or 2 turns after?

7. Amourek

Amourek Chieftain

Conversion happens right away. You will see a little message at the top left of the screen that will tell you if you suceeded or not. Also, the more religions in a city, the lesser chance your missionary will succeed.