Wonders Grouped by Requirements

isau

Deity
I've been looking at what it takes to plan wonders in Civ VI. I'm not yet at the point where I can scan the map and say "That looks like a great spot for X!" So I took the list of wonders from Well of Souls (http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ6_cities.html) and organized it by immoveable terrain. I figured it might spawn some discussion.

The first thing I noticed is that virtually every wonder will require planning of some kind. Two stand out as being particularly easier to acquire than others: the Oracle (any hill), and the Hanging Gardens (any river tile). I expect competition for these two to be very high, if only part because the AI is likely to easily be able to satisfy the requirements. I'm unsure how good they'll be at some some of the others.

Flat (any terrain)
(adjacent to campus w/ library) Great Library
(adjacent to entertainment complex) Colosseum
(adjacent to city center) Forbidden City
(adjacent to city center) Eiffel Tower
(adjacent to Holy Site + you have religion) Hagia Sophia

Hill (any terrain)
Oracle
(next to Encampment) Alhambra

Grassland or Plains
(adjacent to an Encampment district) Terracotta Army
(adjacent to Campus w/ University) Oxford University

Coast
(adjacent to a Harbor district w/ lighthouse) Great Lighthouse
(adjacent to a Harbor district) Colossus
(adjacent to Industrial district) Venetian Arsenal

Next to River (any terrain)
Hanging Gardens
(adjacent to Commercial district w/ bank) Big Ben
(adjcent to Industrial Zone w/ Factory) Ruhr Valley

On Flood Plains
[NOTE: Most wonders that can be built on Flood Plains can be built on at least one other terrain type]
Petra (also buildable on desert)
Mont St. Michael (also buildable on marsh)

On Rainforest
Chichen Itza

On Woods
(adjacent to Holy Site w/ Temple) Mahabodhi Temple

On Lake Tile Adjacent to Land
Huey Teocalli

Flat Land, Desert (including flood plains)
Pyramids
Petra

Flat Land, Adjacent to Stone
Stonehenge

Hill Adjacent to Mountain
Potala Palace

Unknown
Cristo Redentor
Sydney Opera House
Maracanã Stadium
Broadway
Bolshoi Theatre

On Flood Plains
[NOTE: Most wonders that can be built on Flood Plains can be built on at least one other terrain type]
Petra (also buildable on desert)
Mont St. Michael (also buildable on marsh)

Flat Land, Desert
Pyramids
Petra (NOTE: can also be built on Flood Plains)

Pyramids can be built on Flood Plains OR flat Desert as well.

Pyramids can be built on Flood Plains OR flat Desert as well.

Are you sure? I grabbed this based on text from Well of Souls which may not be completely up to date. I know that Egypt can build it on flood plains because that's part of their UA that was mentioned specifically. I'll update the list if so.

Also, I added the Bolshoi Theatre to the list based on its appearance in a recent city menu.

In terms of observations now that things are listed this way, I see there are exactly 3 Wonders that are built on coast (maybe Syd Opera House is too?) All of them require a District adjacent. So that right there creates some interesting strategic rules.

Also I'm kind of unsure about how Egypt fares in all this. Their UA requires building next to a river. But then all these rules for adjacency to districts mean you'd need to be really aware of what you're doing to score them.

Are you sure? I grabbed this based on text from Well of Souls which may not be completely up to date. I know that Egypt can build it on flood plains because that's part of their UA that was mentioned specifically. I'll update the list if so.

Also, I added the Bolshoi Theatre to the list based on its appearance in a recent city menu.

In terms of observations now that things are listed this way, I see there are exactly 3 Wonders that are built on coast (maybe Syd Opera House is too?) All of them require a District adjacent. So that right there creates some interesting strategic rules.

Also I'm kind of unsure about how Egypt fares in all this. Their UA requires building next to a river. But then all these rules for adjacency to districts mean you'd need to be really aware of what you're doing to score them.

According to Well of Souls:

http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ6_cities.html#wonders

Great Pyramids
Requires: Masonry
Yield: +2 Culture
"Grants a Free Builder. All Builders can build 1 extra (???) improvement. Must be built on Desert (including Flood Plains) without hills."

Also, the Egyptian Sphinx doesn't need to be built next to a river. I think you are thinking of the French Chateau....

Ok I just updated the whole Flat Land, Desert category to Flat Land, Desert (including flood plains) since it appears all the current flat desert wonders include flood plains.

Also, the Egyptian Sphinx doesn't need to be built next to a river. I think you are thinking of the French Chateau....

Just saw this. The Sphinx is a unique tile improvement, not a wonder. But Egypt can buid Wonders faster on river tiles. It's just that in order to do that, in a lot of cases you'd need a specific District adjacent to a river tile with the right terrain type, which could be very tricky, so I'm curious to see how it works out in practice.

It still does not have stuff that is already revealed even in the past few weeks.

Ah, thanks for noting that. See, I never intended to compete with Arioch's brilliant site; that will be redundant and pointless.
My aim was to provide word-by-word definitions for every stuff without any bias and to let the community discuss the effects whether you all will like it or loathe it.

It's true that I haven't put definitions for older stuff like Varu or Hoplite because there were no tooltips revealed back then. Sometimes I try to add gray highlights for item seen but without tooltips - this has been inconsistent, though. Right now I'm trying to stream the last night video and we'll see if we can get tooltips for all those revealed stuff. I'll keep my eyes on the Pyramid tooltips as well.

Top Bottom