• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Wonders obsolete after any player has developed a technology which obsoletes given Wonder

rahorvat

Warlord
I have come across an interesting part of the code...

For example if I as a Player have built Pyramids, the benefit from given wonder obsoletes after any Player develops the Communism.

I have thought that: Player which has built, for example, Pyramids has to develop Communism and at that point Pyramids are obsolete!

But, according to manual:
"However, the benefits of the ancient Wonders and most of the Wonders of the Middle Ages may not stand for all time. Objects and accomplishments that awed the ancients may not similarly inspire the people of the Industrial Age. The achievement of later advances may end the benefits of later Wonders, regardless of whether your civilization or another makes the cancelling advance."

So, the first holds true, if any Player (not just Player which possesses the Wonder) has developed a technology by which a given Wonder is obsolete, it cancel's it's effect completely.

Last edited:
Yes, that is how it is, but only for wonders becoming obsolete. That is actually quite an exception to the rule. There are much more civ-specific variants of similar game logic, like how only the civs that have mysticism get the temple bonus, and how only the civs that discover gunpowder/combustion get their barracks sold, etc.
I always kind of liked the idea of technological and philosophical advances causing distress around the world, like religion taking away the effects of the oracle, communism canceling the chapel and so on. They could be more global. For example, besides canceling the chapel, communism could also shave down each cathedral down by 1 happy face, or cause unhappiness in civs under monarchy/republic/democracy, or increase the likelihood of riot events.

Yes, that is how it is, but only for wonders becoming obsolete. That is actually quite an exception to the rule. There are much more civ-specific variants of similar game logic, like how only the civs that have mysticism get the temple bonus, and how only the civs that discover gunpowder/combustion get their barracks sold, etc.
I always kind of liked the idea of technological and philosophical advances causing distress around the world, like religion taking away the effects of the oracle, communism canceling the chapel and so on. They could be more global. For example, besides canceling the chapel, communism could also shave down each cathedral down by 1 happy face, or cause unhappiness in civs under monarchy/republic/democracy, or increase the likelihood of riot events.
Yes, but then, it wouldn't be original Civ rules?
That's why I'm planning for a possibility of behavior plugins in OpenCiv1, so people can modify and create their own rules... :)

Last edited:
Upgrading of barbarian units is working in the similar way, btw.

@rahorvat

Is it one of those strange situations of believing, for many years, that the rule is a certain way based on common sense, before you determine through empiricism that the rule is something more along the lines of what the rumors said. But then when you look it up in the notoriously-inaccurate ancient text, the ancient text was right all along and is what caused the rumors!

I feel like this has happened to me a bunch of times in retro games and options pricing theory

Top Bottom