1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wonders of the Ancient World as next DLC?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Pouakai, Jul 3, 2011.

1. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

It seems this will be my favorite DLC. It's like a dream.
    I absolutely love ancient civilizations, and especially Sumeria.

Also, Babylon and Sumeria are two completely different things, so I think it would be an outrage to combine the two in a scenario.

2. fat_tonle

fat_tonle Prince

Then it should be a free scenario if it goes along with Babylon. Or sold at a reduced rate... $2.99 tops.

3. eazyseeker

eazyseeker Warlord

What I mean is that they update the Babylon DLC with this scenario so that you will get it if you buy Babylon, and will get it for free if you already have it. :)

4. fat_tonle

fat_tonle Prince

Yeah, I'll take it. Babylon was kind of a jipp to begin with. Didn't really bring any new game play into the fray. Wonder how they will add the other civs. The ones in the Denmark are just stills if I am not mistaken. Polynesia just used other Native American civs as Polynesian civs. I don't want to see Ghandi filling in as Gilgamesh. Egypt and Babylon would obviously keep their animations but maybe they will use stills for Hittite and Assyrians.

5. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

It seems Babylon isn't a civ in the scenario. There are Victory achievements for Greece, Persia, Egypt, Sumeria and Hittite. That means the scenario isn't an expansion of the Babylon DLC.

6. eazyseeker

eazyseeker Warlord

Indeed, Babylon, as overpowered as it may be, is still pretty lame.

And I don't think they will make new leader renderings just for this scenario, so I guess they'll just use stills :(

And while I do admire what the devs are trying to do - that is, adding something worthwhile to the Babylon DLC - I would've preffered 2 new civs/leaders entirely to go with this scenario - I am fed up with Nabuco's whining :mad:

EDIT: damn it art grin, you got me :p Yes, I see there's no Babylon in it, but making this scenario accompany the Babylon DLC & just using Babylon 'with another name' in the scenario seems like a rational probability, kinda like they did with Denmark. Harald Bluetooth wasn't even a leader in it.

7. Revoran

Revoran Prince

We can only hope. I'm totally down with an ancient Mesopotamia scenario / add on the babylon dlc / whatever it will be - but a new Korean civ would make me happier.

That does sound like a good idea. I can't imagine that they would sell a scenario on its own - i sure wouldn't buy it just like I didn't buy any maps.

8. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

Hittites and Sumer were culturally very distinct for Babylon, especially the Chaldean period that is represented by Nebuchadnezzar. I think both would be incredible additions to the main game.

AS for the scenario, I prefer well-done 2D leader pictures instead of having to talk to someone like Napoleon. It really ruins the immersive nature of the scenarios to bargain with Hiawatha, leader of the Maori.

9. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

I am still waiting for the day we can build cities on the sea on a Civ game.

10. BobDole

BobDole American Leader in Civ VI

Yeah, I'm glad they took this step for the Viking scenario (even though there was no diplomacy at all). It's just really dumb trying to pretend that some guy that looks just like Hiawatha is some great Polynesian leader. He's in the damn forest! Montezuma is just as bad, too. Hoping for future scenarios they go the picture route unless the leaders actually fit appropriately.

11. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

What? Hiawatha is the leader of Iroquois, Kamehameha is Polynesian!

12. Kimuyama

Kimuyama Prince

But in the Polynesian scenario certain civs (Polynesian civs at that, might I add!) were substituted with the Iroquois

13. fat_tonle

fat_tonle Prince

Still Babylon was part of that era. Not sure why they wouldn't include them. Who built the hanging gardens in the first place? Or maybe Nebuchanezzar will fill in for Gilgamesh? Maybe Harun would fill in for the Hittites and all their Arabic glory... :lol: Pretty lame, but what else can you expect? I think they want to sell things without hiring people to come up with the new art work, ideas, and designs.

On the other hand, if this was a comprehensive wonder, technology, and resource pack, Copper resource, new techs (since the Classical Age is WAY too short), buildings, and Wonders, I'll consider it.

But for the love of God, just patch that stuff in for free, because I don't see these civs being added full time. Right now I want Korea, Indonesia, Zulu/Ethiopia, Carthage, Dutch, Portugal, and Maya.

14. Becephalus

Becephalus King

More stuff does not make a better game. I don't know why people get so jazzed up for more content when what the game needs is better balance/mechanics/ai.

More content is what nearly turned civ4 into the bloated mess it was by the end (still fun, but horribly out of balance and a useless ai).

15. fat_tonle

fat_tonle Prince

No... the balance should be a given and we shouldn't be charged for it. Content is what fans should pay for. Now if the excess content screws up the balance, then beg for your money back.

16. Becephalus

Becephalus King

The balance is rarely a given? How many computer games have you bought 3? I have been buying turn based games for 20 years and I would say the majority of them were never balanced.

Not to mention the fact that balance IS content. They are the same thing. It is all just code and I would rather the coding work go into improving the game then to adding clutter. I would rather have meaningful choices between A B and C then meaningless choices between A-Z. That is why the original star-craft was such a hit. Instead of 8 samey factions like every other RTS you got three very distinct ones. Or sword of the stars. Don't just add more content to add content.

Chess isn't necessarily a better game if you expand the board and add two new unit types. Granted it COULD be a better game, but so many people on these and other computer game forums seem to take it as axiomatic that it MUST be a better game. They just want more and more widgets with no concern about how it all hangs together until after they are frustrated and bored with it 10 days later. A lot of them never even make the connection.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

17. fat_tonle

fat_tonle Prince

Well if you are asking me what I would rather have.... yeah I want a balanced game with solid game play. But we just got a patch that addressed that. Granted, it's not perfect, but what else can we expect at this point? A patch like that every month?

Contrast to that, the patch has helped but I am disappointed in the fact that there is little immersion in the game for me. I need more weight. Different techs so I can diversify my strategies. More strategic resources. Different wonder paths, so on and so forth. Just not enough yet. And the city state diplomacy is a turd as we all know (haven't tried the mods), but I would like a couple more options than "Help me kill my enemies and give me money". You need more content. I like the random events and natural disasters in Civ IV. Need more of the same here.

Plus I don't think adding more options and diversity has anything to do with how good the AI is in tactical combat. It will still be a horse manure. I'd rather have that code be used to fix the AI if it can't be used elsewhere, but as long as it doesn't slow the game down significantly, I want more content as well. You can't have expansion material reserved just for new civs unless an expansion was never intended to begin with, and I am not sold on that yet.

18. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

ah, so. Well, never played scenarios :p

19. snarzberry

snarzberry Emperor

I welcome a few more wonders, I especially think a powerful early era wonder is needed in the bottom of the tech tree to act as a counter-weight to the porcelain tower. If severe imbalance is the end result of these additions then never mind, we will come up with the appropriate solutions soon enough.

20. SHaW1986

SHaW1986 Prince

we gotta keep this one alive! I am REALLY not looking forward to Korea. I want to see Sumer in the game dammit!