Wonders... What the heck I'm building?

This is not world of warcraft.

Lore is the background story of a universe, WoW may be one of the games with a huge lore, but that doesnt mean that other games dont have lore
beyond earth is a universe in which people left earth and are on a strange new world, you need lore to explain the aliens and stuff or it doesnt make sense...

...but that doesnt mean that other games dont have lore
At this point, it's just a generic word because it's shorter and neater than saying/typing out "background story" or "worldbuilding information" and so on, lore is short and neat. :)

Also, I made some quick mock-ups of what I think tech pop-ups and wonder splashes should roughly look like:

Something like that fits easily in the existing UI, space-wise, and would give everything just a bit more context. Basically, just a one sentence addition to explain what exactly things are.

Lore is the background story of a universe, WoW may be one of the games with a huge lore, but that doesnt mean that other games dont have lore
beyond earth is a universe in which people left earth and are on a strange new world, you need lore to explain the aliens and stuff or it doesnt make sense...

nah lore was popularized by wow nerds as a word to describe how 'deep' made up stories make thier choice of game superior
Moderator Action: Posts that appear intended to draw negative reaction from others (in this case, those that play WoW) are strictly prohibited.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

nah lore was popularized by wow nerds as a word to describe how 'deep' made up stories make thier choice of game superior

so why say nah? The word has been used by people in WoW a lot (which is actually used a lot by pretty much all rpg's since its an easy way to say background story. But we are gping off topic:p

I do miss wonder movies, but i like the wonders and the civilopedia entries. It takes some time to read sure, but if you dont have the time to read it all than you probably dont have time to play civ to, cause lets be honest, its not like your going to sit down to play civ if you know you only have 5 minutes...

Conveyance. Not that I want to constantly compare it to SMAC, but SMAC wonders had names that conveyed their purpose fairly well. The Merchant Exchange sounds like something that would boost my economy, and wouldn't you know it does exactly that.

What the hell is the Daedalus Ladder? A new Kid Icarus game?

magma, i get your point, though just out of curiosity, what kind of names would you use for wonders in a sci-fi kind of setting? cause im having trouble thinking of good names.

if you would call it merchant exchange than people would call it unimaginative, maybe we need a suggestion tread for wonder names:p

p.s. funny that you comment on a icarus game while daedalus was icarus father

You are wasting valuable turns and resources. Wonders are by and large not worth building. The game needs some serious balancing.

I don't really care if the names are science-fictiony, as long as I can get a reasonable idea as to what something does from the name. Quantum (Super?) Computer is a good example, sounds related to science, gives a free tech.

I don't really care if the names are science-fictiony, as long as I can get a reasonable idea as to what something does from the name. Quantum (Super?) Computer is a good example, sounds related to science, gives a free tech.

I don't know if keeping flavor aspects 'as simple as possible' is neccessary a good thing. Definitely not as an end in itself, though. They decided to include aspects that can't be explained in three words, which is actually a good thing in science fiction. As long as you don't do it just to do it of course. And I think this is not the case here.

At this point, it's just a generic word because it's shorter and neater than saying/typing out "background story" or "worldbuilding information" and so on, lore is short and neat. :)

Also, I made some quick mock-ups of what I think tech pop-ups and wonder splashes should roughly look like:

Something like that fits easily in the existing UI, space-wise, and would give everything just a bit more context. Basically, just a one sentence addition to explain what exactly things are.

I Like that Tirian.

At the very least though, a link to the pertinent civilopedia links would help.

The initial technology used to improve human's biological bodies, if i remember the flavor text correctly. The name is really quite fitting, imho.

Something called the Daedalus Ladder could just as easily refer to a device that harvests He3 from the sun, a space elevator, or a thing that accidentally kills both of your sons

Something called the Daedalus Ladder could just as easily refer to a device that harvests He3 from the sun, a space elevator, or a thing that accidentally kills both of your sons

To me, after reading Civilopedia entry yet again, it could also be a monument to human DNA history, showing all changes that were done to improve humans in form of ladder.

@Lord Tririan, very nice designs. The wonder screen is so much improved compared to just having that meaningless quote only.

I like Lord Tririan's designs, too, and there's no harm in reiterating info, but should that descriptive information ideally come before you choose to research the tech or build the wonder? Wouldn't those details be more useful in the respective tooltips?

I like Lord Tririan's designs, too, and there's no harm in reiterating info, but should that descriptive information ideally come before you choose to research the tech or build the wonder? Wouldn't those details be more useful in the respective tooltips?
If it's kept to one sentence in length, I think it'd comfortably fit into most tooltips as well. Would help to tie together the techweb as well, I think, as it would feel less like a random collection of bonuses and would allow you to actually "see" how things progress along certain lines.

Just didn't make a mock-up because the transparency of the tooltips made it harder to make a quick mock-up that doesn't look like a mess.

Top Bottom