Wonders

Trekkie Spice

Chieftain
Hi Everyone,

Can you tell me which three or four Wonders of the World you consider the most important to build. I daresay it varies depending on your ultimate aim. I usually play either for world domination or to build the space ship.

Merry Christmas
Trekkie Spice
:confused: :confused: :confused:

1. Marco Polo (for conquest and landing). In my opinion the best wonder. Great way to get AI-maps and trading not discovered needed techs.
2. Shakespeare (only for landing). Is a must when building a super science city. With this wonder it's easy to grow large with early celebration.
3. Michelangelo's (for both). Hapiness control at the higher levels with this wonder.
4. Leonardo's (for both) Upgrading units for free. Only to discover the tech.

There are more I like. e.g. Copernicus, Isaac Newton are important for early landing but I think the 4 above I like best.

Without a doubt, the most important ancient wonder for either style of play is Marco Polo's Embassy. In Early Conquest (EC) you need it to get their maps so you know where to go. In Early Landing you need it to trade techs and maps so that the AI is a more useful researcher (and to reduce your research costs). For early Conquest the lighthouse and Hanging gardens are also invaluable for happiness and trireme usage (Peaster, please correct me if I'm wrong). For landing games, aside from the obvious Apollo, I'd argue that Marco Polo early is the most important wonder, followed by Collossus, Copernicus and Newton for an SSC. I'd argue that for landing games, if your economy is flowing well, when you get into the modern era you can probably buy all of the wonders you want. I think in the last GOTM in my landing game I ended up buying about 8-10 wonders in the 6 turns or so after I launched while waiting to land. For other styles of play many can be useful.

It could also vary depending on your map, for instance if you have a map with lots of islands then Lighthouse becomes the best wonder. I am beginning to understand that Lighthouse is one of the top wonders anyway. Whether you play for conquest or landing, early trade routes with the AI can really make a difference not only on your funds but on your research for that next great tech.

I defintely agree with Magic on the others.

There are, without exaggeration, tens of threads about this topic. It has been discussed ad nauseam.

My opinion is that it depends heavily on your chosen strategy (Early Landing, Early Conquest, High score, OCC, ...) and the map. The latter is often underemphasized by most people because they tend to mostly play on game created maps which are called random but are anything but.

Remember 'overall'.

It also depends on the level. I only do Emperor so the Pyramids are important to me. I don't want the grass to grow, it's for the people instead.

Cathedral, and Leo's Workshop I have to agree with. And probably the two best in all of Civ games 'Overall'. Imagine all your citizens unhappy, you would have to take away from trade. #1 Cathedral.

Top Bottom