1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wonders ...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by M_85, Dec 5, 2013.

1. M_85

M_85 Chieftain

Just "wondering" :crazyeye:

Trying to complete the "The Wonder Years" Achievement - Says I have to discover all the wonders -

A little searching shows several "types" - World - Natural - National and Special.

My question is, which "Wonders" are actually required for this achievement ?
    Searching finds very informative lists of ALL the Wonders, but no one seems to have "defined" what is specifically needed for this "Achievement".

Thanks !

2. CaptainPatch

CaptainPatch Lifelong gamer

If its a matter of _discovering_ Wonders... Just checked and saw it says "build" all the Wonders, not "discover". If it's building, then that rules out the Natural Wonders, as those don't get built. So that straightforwardly means, build ALL of the available build-able (World, National, and Special) across any number of games. That also means that at least some of your games have to play out to the bitter end in order to game some of the Information Era Wonders. (Most of my games are done by @1950 A.D., so I haven't gotten around to all of those late-game Wonders.)

3. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

the easy way to do this if you just want the achievement is to fire up a Settler difficulty game with the Inca (The Inca are by far the best wonder whoring civ), set the advanced setting to 3billion years, continents or Pangaea, dry, arid, mountain ranges. You should get a map with a lot of perfect terrace farm spots, and an AI that does not compete.

You should be able to build every wonder in the game with 3 or 4 cities in one shot so you do not have to figure out what wonders you have never made.

4. CaptainPatch

??? I would have thought the Egyptians would have been the best, given that they have a +15% Production when building Wonders as their UA.

5. BlakeTheDrake

BlakeTheDrake Warlord

That achievement simply requires you to have built all of the World and National Wonders at some point... however, it's an old achievement from Vanilla CivV, so that line comes with a few caveats. No wonders that were added in later DLC or expansion-packs are needed - which, thus, includes the 'Special' Wonders. And more problematically, a wonder that was REMOVED in Brave New World is still required for it - so you'll have to roll back to Gods & Kings at least to get it.

The wonder in question is The United Nations, BTW... it kinda' got lost in the 'World Congress' stuff.

The list of required wonders, straight from the game's own log-files:

Angkor Wat
    Big Ben
    Brandenburger Tor
    Chichen Itza
    Christo Redentor
    Eiffel Tower
    Himeji Castle
    Machu Picchu
    Notre Dame
    Pentagon
    Sistine Chapel
    Statue of Liberty
    Stonehenge
    Sydney Opera House
    Taj Mahal
    Colossus
    Forbidden Palace
    Great Library
    Great Lighthouse
    Great Wall
    Hagia Sophia
    Hanging Gardens
    Kremlin
    Louvre
    Oracle
    Porcelain Tower
    Pyramids
    United Nations
    Hermitage
    Heroic Epic
    Ironworks
    National College
    National Epic
    Oxford University

6. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Is the Utopia Project included in this?

7. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Doesn't look like it; here is the list needed:

[733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_ANGKORWAT = 13
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_BIGBEN = 21
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_BRANDENBURGGATE = 7
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_CHICHENITZA = 10
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_CRISTOREDENTOR = 23
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_EIFFELTOWER = 27
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_HIMEJICASTLE = 2
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_MACHUPICCHU = 10
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_NOTREDAME = 21
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_PENTAGON = 6
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_SISTINECHAPEL = 19
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_STATUEOFLIBERTY = 23
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_STONEHENGE = 13
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_SYDNEYOPERAHOUSE = 26
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_TAJMAHAL = 23
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_COLOSSUS = 5
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_FORBIDDENPALACE = 7
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_GREATLIBRARY = 10
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_GREATLIGHTHOUSE = 3
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_GREATWALL = 2
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_HAGIASOPHIA = 26
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_HANGINGGARDENS = 5
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_KREMLIN = 5
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_LOUVRE = 13
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_ORACLE = 11
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_PORCELAINTOWER = 37
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_PYRAMIDS = 4
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_UNITEDNATION = 7
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_HERMITAGE = 37
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_HEROICEPIC = 56
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_IRONWORKS = 56
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_NATIONALCOLLEGE = 80
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_NATIONALEPIC = 67
    [733088.727] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_OXFORDUNIVERSITY = 45

8. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

15% of nothing is still nothing.
    There is no civ that can come even close to matching the Inca for raw production.
    Inca >> Egypt for wonder whoring

9. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

Does this mean this achievement is now obsolete?

10. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Egypt's UA gives 15% production bonus when building wonders.
    Picking God of Craftsmen gives 1% production with populations of 3+.
    Picking Religious Community gives 1% (15% max) production for each follower.
    And making production improvements or buildings gives 1% - 3% production.
    If I'm calculating this right, all of these would be around 30% - 50% production.
    But it depends on how many cities and followers you have, and the terrain and you.

11. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

It basically means if you didn't build the UN before you got BNW that you'll need to disable BNW in a game in order to build it if you want this achievement.

The achievement save thread might also have a pre BNW save game the turn before someone completes the UN.

12. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

even if you skip that with the Inca, the Inca will still outperform Egypt, and since you can get all that with the Inca, the Inca end up that much better.

You are seriously underestimating the Power of Terrace Farms. Sure, Egypt will give you a boost very early in the game for early wonders on high difficulty, but even Egypt will not get the GL on Deity. There is a reason why the Inca are one of the preferred civs for CV, not only do they get stupidly big cities, they get the production to go with it.

Ever notice that it is the Inca that end up with all the wonders rather than Egypt in most games.

13. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

In my current game as Portugal, I was building the Uffizi (cultural victory only) and had 1 turn left on it. Then Egypt wondermongered it and I went all-raged and obliterated Egypt. I also had a game where I played as the Incas before BNW, dunno if I'd built wonders or not. I will need to go back and check.

14. CaptainPatch

Not in the games I played. As Egypt, I usually ended up with @90% of ALL Wonders that were built. [Much of that had to do with also being the clear tech leader. I already had most Wonders under construction before other civs acquired the necessary tech to start construction.]

15. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

you guys need to move up a difficulty level lol.

@CaptainPatch - I meant when Egypt and Inca are in the game and you are playing someone else.

The reason the Inca are a top tier civ and Egypt is mid-tier at best is because of the Terrace Farm. The Inca get huge growth and huge production. Probably the only civs better for SV are Korea and Babylon with the Shoshone (and possibly the Aztecs) as a near match, not only do you get to the required tech's faster than any other civ, you have the hammers to build wonders - this makes the Inca about ideal for CV.

I played the Inca almost exclusively on Immortal for a long time, I had countless games with 4 cites above 40 pop, and I simply ran out of things to make during the Industrial era and would just pull things off science focus when I reached a new tech. Egypt just cant do this unless you waste a ton of TR's on food, and even then getting that big is not easy - the Inca just do it naturally.

Seriously, fire up an Inca game and settle with an eye to terrace farms (you will settle spots you would reject with other civs), and see what happens.

16. georgie

georgie Warlord

This only applies if there is a nice mountain range.

17. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

Probably the only civs better for SV are Korea and Babylon with the Shoshone (and possibly the Aztecs)

What's so near top tier about the Aztecs for Science?

18. pvtjava

pvtjava The Grey Cat

@josh - "you guys need to move up a difficulty level lol."

Not trying to be a jerk or anything but, some of us may play lower difficulties because it's more fun. I find it way more fun and satisfying to beat Prince in under 300 turns than Deity. On Deity I just feel like I'm only trying to win, not really "playing," i.e., doing it the way I want to, not the way I have to. Prince = Freedom

Edit: Oops, just saw a post where you satd basicslly the same thing. Now I really feel bad.

19. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Warlord

The floating gardens give a 15% food bonus (not growth) so you can grow huge, fast!

20. CaptainPatch

Well, that might have had something to do with it. Nearly all of my Egypt games were at Prince level. Since BNW, I've worked up to Emperor, while trying some other civs. First with Songhai, and now with Venice.

Left-handedly, I'm finding that with a Patronage-focus making Allies of all the CSs, it doesn't matter which civ I play. Having all of the CSs (all 41 of them, on a Huge map in a Marathon game) just piles on the advantages. I can't play Diplo anymore, otherwise the game is over by the start of the Modern Era. Science is inevitable. Domination is neutralized because no other civ wants to tangle with me AND 41 CS Allies.