Wondrous Nature

LamilLerran

Chieftain
Wondrous Nature adds additional natural wonders to Civ V. The initial release includes Mount Everest, Salar de Uyuni, and Giant's Causeway.

Wondrous Nature is designed to be as lightweight as possible while addressing the reality that adding natural wonders involves fooling the Civ V graphics code, and therefore absolutely requires a DLL. Nonetheless, the DLL changes are quite short, and my hope is that people who use a different DLL mod will find it easy to add my changes to their DLL code.

My hope is that people can extend or fork Wondrous Nature with their own natural wonders. As such, I am also posting a tutorial on how to add a natural wonder to Civ using Wondrous Nature.

Wondrous Nature is currently only compatible with Brave New World, and will never be compatible with vanilla CiV. I am not certain whether I will or even can release a G&K version.

How I Did It
The Civ V graphics code does not handle natural wonders particularly elegantly. If a feature is tagged as a natural wonder in the XML, the graphics code seems to have some sort of hardcoded list it checks against to determine the terrain. If you use this tag for a custom wonder, you typically get out Mt Fuji (or a distorted version of it).

So, I added a PseudoNaturalWonder tag in SQL, and then modified the DLL so that when it checked whether a feature had the NaturalWonder tag set to true, it also checked whether the PseudoNaturalWonder tag was set to true. Thus, WondrousNature makes the core game code think a feature is a natural wonder, while making the graphics code think the feature is not a natural wonder (for which the graphics work mostly fine).

This means that if you add a feature, tag it as a PseudoNaturalWonder, and give it a graphic in essentially the same way you would for an improvement or a resource, you get something that acts in game as a natural wonder.

This does show a limitation of the technique: graphics for improvements / resources are different than graphics for terrains; in particular, you can't change the contours of the land, so the 3D model has to sit on top of the land. I have been able to work around this when designing my natural wonders, but it is a limitation.

Adding Your Own Natural Wonders
Adding your own natural wonder in Wondrous Nature takes about the same amount of work as adding a brand new resource with brand new graphics. This is a moderately large amount of work, especially to create a new 3D graphic. This tutorial is intended to help you do all the necessary steps to create your own natural wonder.

A new natural wonder will require you to add several files to Wondrous Nature and to modify several files in Wondrous Nature. The files you need to modify are:
  • WNArtDefines.xml in the XML folder
  • WNGameData.xml in the XML folder
  • Each of the five NaturalWonderAtlas*.dds files in the Art folder
The files you will need to add are:
  • A feature_*.fxsxml file in XML
  • A *.gr2 file in Art/[WonderName]
  • A *_diff.dds file in Art/[WonderName]
  • A *_sref.dds file in Art/[WonderName]
  • Possibly a *_h.dds file in Art/[WonderName]
  • A sv_*.dds file in Art/[WonderName]
If you are doing something elaborate or unusual, you may need to add additional files. If you are reusing files (from Civ or another mod) you may be able to omit the reused files.

For most wonders, the most complicated file to create will be the gr2 file, which contains the 3D model and associates that model with the appropriate textures. Fortunately, this works the same as creating a model for an improvement or resource, and similarly to creating a model for a unit. These threads give helpful instructions for this process. When creating a model, you will also create the textures, which will be saved as "*_diff.dds" (for the main texture), "*_sref.dds" (which determines shininess; it's reasonable to make this purely black for most models), and possibly "*_h.dds" (a heightmap; it's only effective if the model is following the terrain though, see Salar de Uyuni for an example).

Now you need to create a feature_*.fxsxml file to tell Civ to put the textures you created on the mesh you created. It should look like the following:
Code:
<Asset>
	<Mesh file="feature_*.gr2" source="Max" />
	<Texture file="*_diff.dds" source="Max" />
	<Texture file="*_h.dds" source="Max" />
	<Texture file="*_sref.dds" source="Max" />
</Asset>
Be sure to replace the filenames with asterisks with the filenames you're actually using. If you don't have a *_h.dds file, omit that entire line. If you are doing something fancy like adding effects, you'll add additional things here relating to that.

At this point, you only have two art assets to go, and they're both 2D. One of them is an icon for your wonder. Copy one of the black circles out of NaturalWonderAtlas256.dds (it is best if you copy a 256x256 square centered on the circle; this will include a fairly wide transparent border). Then draw an icon for your wonder on this circle without changing the alpha channel (transparency). Save this icon and copy it back into NaturalWonderAtlas256.dds on top of the black circle you started from. Now take your icon, resize it to 128x128 (assuming you started at 256x256 as recommended), and paste the result over the corresponding circle in NaturalWonderAtlas128.dds. Continue this process, resizing to 80x80, 64x64, and 45x45 for the NaturalWonderAtlas80.dds, NaturalWonderAtlas64.dds, and NaturalWonderAtlas45.dds files respectively. It is critical that you paste over the same circle in all five files.

The last art asset that remains is sv_*.dds, which is the strategic view image for your wonder. These images can overflow the hex (see, for example, mountains), so compare to an asset like sv_ice.dds from the base game assets to get a model for the size of your strategic view image.

Now you're done with art! What remains is the coding modifications to WNArtDefines.xml and WNGameData.xml. We'll look at WNGameData.xml first.

First, we need to add a Row to the Features table. It will look like this:
Code:
<Row>
	<Type>FEATURE_*</Type>
	<Description>TXT_KEY_FEATURE_*</Description>
	<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_FEATURES_*_TEXT</Civilopedia>
	<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_FEATURE_*</ArtDefineTag>
	<Movement>1</Movement>
	<Impassable>false</Impassable>
	<InfluenceCost>-3</InfluenceCost>
	<PseudoNaturalWonder>true</PseudoNaturalWonder>
	<NoImprovement>true</NoImprovement>
	<Rough>false</Rough>
	<YieldNotAdditive>true</YieldNotAdditive>
	<PortraitIndex>#</PortraitIndex>
	<IconAtlas>CUSTOM_NATURAL_WONDER_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
</Row>
You will replace the asterisks with your natural wonder's name (in all caps with underscores for spaces). Also, replace the # sign in PortraitIndex with the number of the circle you replaced with your icon in the NaturalWonderAtlas*.dds files, which you determine as follows. The circles in the NaturalWonderAtlas*.dds files each have a number, starting at 0 in the top left, then counting up first from left to right then top to bottom (reading order). Thus, the first row is 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7. Find your icon in the file, count up to find its number, and replace the # in the above code with this number.

You can make additional changes here as well if you like (e.g., you might add
Code:
<InBorderHappiness>2</InBorderHappiness>
as well), but this is a good basic setup for a natural wonder.

Next, we need to add one or more rows to the Feature_YieldChanges table of the following format:
Code:
<Row>
	<FeatureType>FEATURE_*</FeatureType>
	<YIELDTYPE>YIELD_PRODUCTION</YIELDTYPE>
	<Yield>#</Yield>
</Row>
Here * is your all-caps-and-underscores natural wonder name, YIELD_PRODUCTION could also be YIELD_FOOD, YIELD_FAITH, YIELD_GOLD, YIELD_CULTURE, or YIELD_SCIENCE, and # is a number that says how many of the indicated resource you want your natural wonder tile to provide.

It's polite to put a comment like
Code:
<!--Your wonder name-->
at the beginning of your YieldChanges rows to make it easier to see where each natural wonder's code starts in this section.

Next, we add a Row to the Natural_Wonder_Placement table. There are many possibilities here; I'll show an example, but you can see other fields by looking at the Natural_Wonder_Placement table in Assets/DLC/Expansion2/Gameplay/XML/Terrain/CIV5Features.xml
Code:
<Row>
	<NaturalWonderType>FEATURE_*</NaturalWonderType>
	<OccurrenceFrequency>10</OccurrenceFrequency>
	<AvoidLandAdjacentToOcean>true</AvoidLandAdjacentToOcean>
	<AvoidFreshWater>true</AvoidFreshWater>
	<ChangeCoreTileToFlatland>true</ChangeCoreTileToFlatland>
	<CoreTileCanBeAnyTerrainType>false</CoreTileCanBeAnyTerrainType>
	<CoreTileCanBePlains>true</CoreTileCanBePlains>
	<CoreTileCanBeDesert>true</CoreTileCanBeDesert>
	<CoreTileCanBeAnyFeatureType>false</CoreTileCanBeAnyFeatureType>
	<CoreTileCanBeNoFeature>true</CoreTileCanBeNoFeature>
	<AdjacentTilesCareAboutTerrainTypes>true</AdjacentTilesCareAboutTerrainTypes>
	<AdjacentTilesAvoidGrass>true</AdjacentTilesAvoidGrass>
	<MaximumAllowedAdjacentGrass>0</MaximumAllowedAdjacentGrass>
	<AdjacentTilesAvoidSnow>true</AdjacentTilesAvoidSnow>
	<MaximumAllowedAdjacentSnow>0</MaximumAllowedAdjacentSnow>
	<AdjacentTilesCareAboutFeatureTypes>true</AdjacentTilesCareAboutFeatureTypes>
	<AdjacentTilesAvoidForest>true</AdjacentTilesAvoidForest>
	<MaximumAllowedAdjacentForest>0</MaximumAllowedAdjacentForest>
	<AdjacentTilesAvoidJungle>true</AdjacentTilesAvoidJungle>
	<MaximumAllowedAdjacentJungle>0</MaximumAllowedAdjacentJungle>
	<AdjacentTilesAvoidMarsh>true</AdjacentTilesAvoidMarsh>
	<MaximumAllowedAdjacentMarsh>0</MaximumAllowedAdjacentMarsh>
</Row>

The last change to this file is adding a pair of Rows to the Language_en_US table (or a corresponding table for whatever language(s) you're localizing into). These are the in-game text for the name of your natural wonder and the civilopedia description of your natural wonder:
Code:
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_FEATURE_*">
	<Text>[wonder name goes here]</Text>
	<Gender>neuter:no_article</Gender>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_FEATURES_*_TEXT">
	<Text>[Civilopedia text goes here]</Text>
</Row>
(For the most part natural wonders don't take an article (e.g. "Mount Everest") but some do (e.g. "The Grand Canyon"), so change that line accordingly.)

Only one file to go!

In WNArtDefines.xml, you first add the following Row to the table ArtDefine_Landmarks:
Code:
<Row>
	<Era>Any</Era>
	<State>Any</State>
	<Scale>1</Scale>
	<ImprovementType>ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_NONE</ImprovementType>
	<LayoutHandler>SNAPSHOT</LayoutHandler>
	<ResourceType>ART_DEF_FEATURE_*</ResourceType>
	<Model>feature_*.fxsxml</Model>
	<TerrainContour>1</TerrainContour>
</Row>
Then in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes add
Code:
<Row>
	<Type>ART_DEF_FEATURE_*</Type>
	<LandmarkType>Resource</LandmarkType>
	<FriendlyName>[human-formatted wonder name]</FriendlyName>
</Row>
and finally, in ArtDefine_StrategicView, add
Code:
<Row>
	<StrategicViewType>ART_DEF_FEATURE_SALAR_DE_UYUNI</StrategicViewType>
	<TileType>Feature</TileType>
	<Asset>sv_salar.dds</Asset>
</Row>

You now have all the files done! You now need to import all the new files into the WondrousNature project. Once they're all in, set "Import into VFS" to "true" on all of the *.dds files, on the feature_*.gr2 file, and on the feature_*.fxsxml file. Now build the project. If it all works, open up Civ and run the mod!

If you're really lucky, everything is now working! More likely, you'll have some debugging to do. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Implementing Wondrous Nature in Your Own DLL Mod

If you have a DLL mod (either that you authored or that you have the source code for) that you want to use with Wondrous Nature, you will need to merge the source code and compile a new merged DLL. Fortunately, the DLL changes in Wondrous Nature are quite short and straightforward, so you should be able to do so without too much trouble. I've attached a git patch file with the necessary changes relative to the base BNW C++ code (ready for compiling as described in this thread).

Note: You can add the Wondrous Nature code to your DLL and still choose not to use Wondrous Nature; the code will sit inactive and nothing will go wrong. Thus you can put the WN code in your DLL and then turn WN on or off separately from the rest of your mod. This can also allow your mods' users to choose whether or not to use Wondrous Nature with your mod. Note that if you do this, you will need to delete the file 'CvGameCore_Expansion2.dll' from Wondrous Nature so that it will work with your mod. I recognize that this manual deletion is an imperfect technique, and I intend to release an alternative version for easier compatibility.

Reuse
I encourage people to adapt, modify, or otherwise reuse any or all of Wondrous Nature for their own projects. If you are working on a Civ V mod and your mod is compatible with the CC-BY Creative Commons license, all you need to do is add the contents of license.txt to your own license information (although some of that license releases my part of the work into the public domain -- you probably want to delete that bit). If one or both of these is not true, you may still use my work in your own project, but some of this work has other or additional authors, and those files have additional restrictions.

Specifically: The DLL file, the modinfo file, and all of the XML and LUA code are all directly related to the main Civilization V code, and may not be available for use outside the context of Civ V. The NaturalWonderAtlas*.dds files are based on a Civ V template, and include an image (for Salar de Uyuni) derived from a work by Martin St-Amant published under a CC-BY-3.0 license. See here for the work and its license: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salar...yuni_Décembre_2007_-_Centre_de_Nulle_Part.jpg. All other art assets (those files which appear in the Art folder) are wholly my work, and are available in the public domain and so may be used for any purpose.

Thanks for reading. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or bug reports!

Attachments

• 0001-Added-PseudoNaturalWonder-feature-type.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 358
  • Wondrous Nature (v 2).civ5mod
    1.9 MB · Views: 403
  • Wondrous Nature Steam Everest Detail v3.jpg
    Wondrous Nature Steam Everest Detail v3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,732
  • Wondrous Nature Steam Salar de Uyuni Detail v3.jpg
    Wondrous Nature Steam Salar de Uyuni Detail v3.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,860
  • Wondrous Nature Steam Giant's Causeway Detail.png
    Wondrous Nature Steam Giant's Causeway Detail.png
    493.5 KB · Views: 1,722
  • Wondrous Nature Steam Full Salar de Uyuni Civilopedia.jpg
    Wondrous Nature Steam Full Salar de Uyuni Civilopedia.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,349
  • Wondrous Nature Steam Full Everest Discovery.jpg
    Wondrous Nature Steam Full Everest Discovery.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,230
This is really good stuff and very promising!!! The civilopedia entries look sweet with nice bonusses on the new NW. Now building scouts like crazy to find them... :)

Will you consider to make the mod part of Steam community? Easier with updates and all...

Please keep up the good work! (very curious what will be next..)

This is really good stuff and very promising!!! The civilopedia entries look sweet with nice bonusses on the new NW. Now building scouts like crazy to find them... :)

Will you consider to make the mod part of Steam community? Easier with updates and all...

Please keep up the good work! (very curious what will be next..)

Glad you like it! The mod is now also available through the Steam workshop.

I just discovered Salar de Uyuni, love it! Few thoughts:
- I didn't get a notification on discovering a natural wonder and how many are left to discover. Do the new ones count towards the total or does the game not take them into account? Would be nice to get similar alert.
- There are some vague square black lines visible around the tile. Also, the NW feels quite small on the tile, perhaps room to make it bit bigger?
- By chance, there's actual salt resource next to it, which made me think it would be neat if somehow salt resource could be part of the yield (but can imagine difficult to create)

- I didn't get a notification on discovering a natural wonder and how many are left to discover. Do the new ones count towards the total or does the game not take them into account? Would be nice to get similar alert.
- There are some vague square black lines visible around the tile. Also, the NW feels quite small on the tile, perhaps room to make it bit bigger?
- By chance, there's actual salt resource next to it, which made me think it would be neat if somehow salt resource could be part of the yield (but can imagine difficult to create)

Hmm, the wonder discovery notification I had specifically tested for (they are supposed to work like any other wonder) and the square lines sounds somewhat like a heightmap issue that also shouldn't be there. When I'm back at my development computer I'll take a look.

As for the salt resource, I considered that but did not find a way to suppress the salt resource graphic, which looked rather ugly with the Salar. If someone knows how to do this, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Can I have permission to suggest this to be added to Community Patch? Also, tiny request: Can we have a screenshot of the 3 wonders (I haven't have access to ciV in ages!)

Absolutely you can suggest this for the community patch!

In general, anyone is welcome to use, adapt, build upon, remake, etc this work in any way I am legally capable of granting. (In particular, if you want to use some or all of this in a civ mod, all you need to do is include the CC-BY credit for the salar de uyuni icon, which is based on someone else's creative commons work.)

I'll put up screenshots when I'm at my development computer.

I'm going to use your dll code just for Giant's Causeway... My scenario already has Skellig Micheal, but another Irish wonder will be welcome.

Wonderful!

I cannot reproduce this bug. Can you give me more information about your setup? What other mods, what DLC, did you use a custom map script, or anything else you think I should know?

Also, if anyone else is experiencing this bug please let me know so I can try to narrow down the cause.

I have updated the mod and fixed this bug; I had been using an old version of the heightmap file :crazyeye:

Also, tiny request: Can we have a screenshot of the 3 wonders (I haven't have access to ciV in ages!)
Screenshots are now up on Steam; I'll get some posted here as well.

Will this work with world builder... I'd like to know if it'll be okay with custom maps. I take it that it works okay with scripts as well?
It works in the worldbuilder but the new natural wonders don't have worldbuilder graphics, so they show up as the same red checkerboard as Bison and Cocoa. Other than that worldbuilder works fine though.

And yes, it does work ok with scripts (well, unless they override the natural wonder placement algorithm).

I cannot reproduce this bug. Can you give me more information about your setup? What other mods, what DLC, did you use a custom map script, or anything else you think I should know?

Also, if anyone else is experiencing this bug please let me know so I can try to narrow down the cause.

Thanks for the first update! I have all DLCs, no custom map script but use quite some mods:
- CP
- CID
- EXCE
- Enlightenment Era
- Historical Religions
- A lot of civs (Tomatekh, JFD, DMS, CL, More, Tarcisio)

Thanks for the first update! I have all DLCs, no custom map script but use quite some mods:
- CP
- CID
- EXCE
- Enlightenment Era
- Historical Religions
- A lot of civs (Tomatekh, JFD, DMS, CL, More, Tarcisio)

Ah, the problem is almost certainly CP; that's a DLL mod and unfortunately it is necessary for Wondrous Nature to also be a DLL mod to allow Civ to consider the added natural wonders as real natural wonders and also handle their graphics correctly. So apparently what happened is the DLL in Wondrous Nature never loaded, so it considered Salar de Uyuni to be a generic feature rather than a natural wonder. Hence no "Natural Wonder Found!" message box, no natural wonder happiness boost, etc.

If you know how to code, the necessary changes to the CP DLL source code are quite small and described in the "Implementing Wondrous Nature in Your Own DLL Mod" section of the original post. In this case it would be important that CP is loaded before Wondrous Nature, but that seems to be happening anyway so that's fine (and if it stopped working like this, you could just delete the WN DLL and then WN would work fine with the modified CP DLL).

As for the salt resource, I considered that but did not find a way to suppress the salt resource graphic, which looked rather ugly with the Salar. If someone knows how to do this, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

I don't know, but maybe you can make a new salt resource, that has not the texture, but gives on improvement the normal salt luxury resource?

Ah, the problem is almost certainly CP; that's a DLL mod and unfortunately it is necessary for Wondrous Nature to also be a DLL mod to allow Civ to consider the added natural wonders as real natural wonders and also handle their graphics correctly. So apparently what happened is the DLL in Wondrous Nature never loaded, so it considered Salar de Uyuni to be a generic feature rather than a natural wonder. Hence no "Natural Wonder Found!" message box, no natural wonder happiness boost, etc.

If you know how to code, the necessary changes to the CP DLL source code are quite small and described in the "Implementing Wondrous Nature in Your Own DLL Mod" section of the original post. In this case it would be important that CP is loaded before Wondrous Nature, but that seems to be happening anyway so that's fine (and if it stopped working like this, you could just delete the WN DLL and then WN would work fine with the modified CP DLL).

Right, got ya... I'm afraid I'm not much of a coder and also since CP gets updated quite frequently it might not be the most efficient route. But instead I will pray this becomes part of CP really soon :)

Do you also take requests for new NW? Have some ideas but can imagine creative process is half the fun...

I don't know, but maybe you can make a new salt resource, that has not the texture, but gives on improvement the normal salt luxury resource?

You can do this with a little lua... in my mod, I have a city install a free monastery if a NW is within the city radius. There is no reason a dummy building providing a salt resource cannot be introduced in a similar way. I am not home now, but I can provide the lua code later.

Hi friends,
I've integrated your code into my branch of community patch (along with supplementing the other missing parts for the AI). I'll talk to Gazebo about adding it into the CP. Thanks for your hard work.

Iamblichos

Hi friends,
I've integrated your code into my branch of community patch (along with supplementing the other missing parts for the AI). I'll talk to Gazebo about adding it into the CP. Thanks for your hard work.

Iamblichos

I have just installed the new CP (9-2) that I assume has above-mentioned code in? Wanted to try to load with Wondrous Nature but I got an immediate CTD when trying to create game, even before the civilization screen pops up. When I deselect Wondrous Nature it loads fine, so it seems there's a conflict between the two? (with the 'old' CP the loading of the 2 mods went fine)

Didn't have logs enabled, let me know if it would help if I provide files...

Thanks for all the support!

EDIT: Never mind above. I got 2 CTD at first, but now it does seem to load with Wondrous Nature...

Top Bottom