Magil's Wondrous Wonders

[GS] Wondrous Wonders (Updated for Gathering Storm) 3.1.0

Mods will effect Load Order, Load Order can make mods act funkey. The more mods(that dont use References) the more it can get messed up. I am not sure how the gam currently decides the Load order, I just know it can get messey with the more mods you have.

Magil updated Magil's Wondrous Wonders with a new update entry:

Continued Adjustments

Changes in 1.2:
  • Minor code cleanup to hopefully continue to reduce mod conflicts.
  • Library of National History's +3 Culture is moved to National College. National College now has 2 slots for Great Works of Writing and can be themed.
  • Museum of National History now allows its city to support an additional Archaeologist (to hopefully cover any potential bugs with the free Archaeologist it grants the city). Museum of National History now generates 2 points for Great Writers,...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Update

This is a relatively minor update, but does fix some issues the mod was having:
  • Circus Maximus now provides 2 amenities rather than 1 in its 6-tile regional range.
  • Fixed policy card and France's wonder production bonus to properly apply to National Wonders (it was supposed to be in the last update, but wasn't working due to a silly mistake on my part).
  • Grand Temple now has only 3 slots, but requires works of art from different artists to be themed.
  • Changed World History Museum, so it no longer interacts with an archaeology museum or grants an archaeologist. It now has 4 slots for Great Works of Art and can be themed. I really wanted it to work differently, but the interaction between archaeology museums and archeologists appears hard-coded, so creating a new building that can support an archaeologist was causing issues with all archaeologists. The workaround involving adding slots to the existing museum worked, but would delete all artifacts in the museum. Neither of these outcomes seems acceptable to me, so it's an art museum now, at least until I can devise some other solution to let it store artifacts.
I do have a version that uses localized text rather than hard-coded text, but for now I'm not uploading it because it appears the bug where loading a game after you've already started a game still seems to fail to load localized text. Once that bug is fixed I'll properly change the mod.

Otherwise, I don't really have plans to change much about the mod at this point, though I'm open to suggestions or feedback, as always. Though if I discover some other major bug, or something else I can do to reduce mod conflicts, I will also update as appropriate to respond to that.

Last edited:
Minor Note: When posting updates please let us know if we need to update the game assets or if we can just update the mod files. Thanks for the work you've done!!!

Minor Note: When posting updates please let us know if we need to update the game assets or if we can just update the mod files. Thanks for the work you've done!!!

Oh, sorry. It's just the mod files this time (I'd make a specific note about changing an icon or piece of art).

And just in case anybody needs this for some reason, this is a version of 1.3 that uses text localization files instead of hard-coded text descriptions/names. You don't need to update the assets if you're updating, just the mod files.

Note that if you load/start a game after already starting one the localization will fail, which is why it's not my official version right now.

Attachments

• Wondrous Wonders Localized (1.3).rar
    18.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

A New Version

Changes include:
  • International Airport no longer gives +25% Tourism to civs you have a foreign trade route with. Instead, it gives the Aerodrome district it is constructed in 25 base Tourism.
This modifier didn't seem to stack properly with the Great Person who did the same thing, so I've changed it. Keep in mind this 25 Tourism will be subject to all of your various modifiers (like Computers doubling it to 50) so it's still fairly significant. Tourism modifiers are a bit...

Looks like a lot of great (and hard) work born of time/testing. I'd like to cast my vote in for the 'unique luxury resource' option and would be interested to see that concept expanded for a few other wonders (pending balance testing). I always get a 'but I want that one' moment when trading resources and I see a unique one. That said, the concern over compatibility is legitimate, so while it's a feature that I think would enhance the mod and could expand to other luxuries/wonders, the trade-off at this time might not be opportune. If you think that the modkit or other resource pack that will ease compatibility issues is close enough on the horizon (and if you have that crystal ball I'd like some lotto numbers please) it's probably a safer idea to put it in the 'planned/wanted but waiting' pile. It's not a huge deal for the end users to create their own modpack/mashup to overcome conflicts, but it does slow change adoption down if they have to modify the construction when any of the 2, 5, ++ mods in that pack get updated. I keep crib notes to help track these, others might not want the hassle.

TL/DR: Love the mod, appreciate the work, unique luxuries sound good.

Thanks!

A lot of people play with min distance between cities increased to 4, so wonders that provide bonuses to other cities within certain distance should have that distance increased by 1. If you use SQL you can do something like this:
Code:
UPDATE GlobalParameters SET Value = (SELECT Value FROM GlobalParameters WHERE Name = 'CITY_MIN_RANGE') + 7 WHERE Name = 'RELIGION_SPREAD_ADJACENT_CITY_DISTANCE';

A lot of people play with min distance between cities increased to 4, so wonders that provide bonuses to other cities within certain distance should have that distance increased by 1. If you use SQL you can do something like this:
Code:
UPDATE GlobalParameters SET Value = (SELECT Value FROM GlobalParameters WHERE Name = 'CITY_MIN_RANGE') + 7 WHERE Name = 'RELIGION_SPREAD_ADJACENT_CITY_DISTANCE';

That's not really my style, I'm more of an old school player who likes tightly-packed cities. Fond memories of tile-swapping cottages for minmax value in Civ IV. And I want to maintain vanilla compatibility as much as possible. I'll do my best to allow the mod to play nice with other mods, but vanilla functionality comes first, and it'll be balanced assuming only this mod is applied.

But, though I don't use SQL (the game files are XML files, and given that I'm new to Civ modding, it's easier for me to work in the same language as the files for now at least), it'd be as simple as changing every instance of RegionalRange="6" in the Buildings table to a higher value (not sure what'd be appropriate for that kind of mod). Note I know very little SQL, but I think it'd be done like this:

Code:
UPDATE Buildings SET RegionalRange = '7' WHERE RegionalRange = '6';

And I want to maintain vanilla compatibility as much as possible.
If you use this code
Code:
(SELECT Value FROM GlobalParameters WHERE Name = 'CITY_MIN_RANGE') + 3
instead of a literal value then your mod will be compatable with anything.

Last edited:
If you use this code
Code:
(SELECT Value FROM GlobalParameters WHERE Name = 'CITY_MIN_RANGE') + 3
instead of a literal value than your mod will be compatable with anything.

I see what you're saying now. I'll look into it. I'd need to figure out how to do it in XML.

Last edited:
Hanging gardens feels lackluster to me. Beyond that I find most wonders to be plenty powerful and I think what you don't really want is for them to be so overpowered that they're game breaking. But to each his own, such is the way of mods (allowing for more choice and options, that is).

Hanging gardens feels lackluster to me. Beyond that I find most wonders to be plenty powerful and I think what you don't really want is for them to be so overpowered that they're game breaking. But to each his own, such is the way of mods (allowing for more choice and options, that is).

If you think Wonders are balanced as is, that's fine. My mod's not for everyone! Me, I'm not as keen on spending 400 production on the Great Library for its... relatively minor vanilla effect. Wonders cost a lot of production (especially the late game ones, Broadway costs 2100 production, and for what, 1 atomic era tech boost and some GPP/slots?), they take up tiles on the map, and they're a very big gamble because you can easily lose the race. I feel like given those conditions, they should be quite powerful, even game-changing (though nothing should say "this player wins the game", of course). My opinion is that in the vanilla game, not many of the Wonders fit into the category of "game-changing".

With that said, if there are any of the adjustments I've made that seem "over the line", so to speak, I'm always looking to adjust/balance things based on feedback!

Last edited:
hello,ur mod is great
may I get ur SQL file now?Its very HELPFUL to me.
I'm making my mods, but it always crash.I can not find the problem.
when I add a Modifiers to the building,I even can not start the game.
such as this:
Code:
INSERT INTO BuildingModifiers (BuildingType,ModifierID) VALUES('BUILDING_GREAT_LIGHTHOUSE','GREATLIGHTHOUSE_ADJUST_SEA_SIGHT')
INSERT INTO Modifiers (ModifierId,ModifierType) VALUES('GREATLIGHTHOUSE_ADJUST_SEA_SIGHT','MODIFIER_PLAYER_UNITS_GRANT_ABILITY')
INSERT INTO ModifierArguments (ModifierId,Name,Value) VALUES('GREATLIGHTHOUSE_ADJUST_SEA_SIGHT','AbilityType','ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT')
INSERT INTO Types (Type,Kind) VALUES("ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT","KIND_ABILITY")
INSERT INTO TypeTags (Type,Tag) VALUES("ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT","CLASS_NAVAL_MELEE")
INSERT INTO TypeTags (Type,Tag) VALUES("ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT","CLASS_NAVAL_RANGED")
INSERT INTO UnitAbilities (UnitAbilityType,Name,Description,Inactive) VALUES("ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT""SEASIGHT""TESTABILITY""ture")
INSERT INTO UnitAbilityModifiers (UnitAbilityType,ModifierId) VALUES("ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT""ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT_BONUS")
INSERT INTO Modifiers (ModifierId,ModifierType) VALUES("ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT_BONUS""MODIFIER_PLAYER_UNIT_ADJUST_SIGHT")
INSERT INTO ModifierArguments (ModifierId,Name,Value) VALUES("ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT_BONUS""Amount""1")

hello,ur mod is great
may I get ur SQL file now?Its very HELPFUL to me.
I'm making my mods, but it always crash.I can not find the problem.
when I add a Modifiers to the building,I even can not start the game.
such as this:
Code:
INSERT INTO BuildingModifiers (BuildingType,ModifierID) VALUES('BUILDING_GREAT_LIGHTHOUSE','GREATLIGHTHOUSE_ADJUST_SEA_SIGHT')
INSERT INTO Modifiers (ModifierId,ModifierType) VALUES('GREATLIGHTHOUSE_ADJUST_SEA_SIGHT','MODIFIER_PLAYER_UNITS_GRANT_ABILITY')
INSERT INTO ModifierArguments (ModifierId,Name,Value) VALUES('GREATLIGHTHOUSE_ADJUST_SEA_SIGHT','AbilityType','ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT')
INSERT INTO Types (Type,Kind) VALUES("ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT","KIND_ABILITY")
INSERT INTO TypeTags (Type,Tag) VALUES("ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT","CLASS_NAVAL_MELEE")
INSERT INTO TypeTags (Type,Tag) VALUES("ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT","CLASS_NAVAL_RANGED")
INSERT INTO UnitAbilities (UnitAbilityType,Name,Description,Inactive) VALUES("ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT""SEASIGHT""TESTABILITY""ture")
INSERT INTO UnitAbilityModifiers (UnitAbilityType,ModifierId) VALUES("ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT""ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT_BONUS")
INSERT INTO Modifiers (ModifierId,ModifierType) VALUES("ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT_BONUS""MODIFIER_PLAYER_UNIT_ADJUST_SIGHT")
INSERT INTO ModifierArguments (ModifierId,Name,Value) VALUES("ABILITY_SEA_SIGHT_BONUS""Amount""1")

The SQL file contains a single line of code:
Code:
UPDATE Buildings SET RegionalRange = (SELECT Value FROM GlobalParameters WHERE Name = 'CITY_MIN_RANGE') + 3 WHERE RegionalRange = '6';
And I've manipulated the modinfo file so it will load last out of all my files (at least, that's my understanding of it, my testing shows that it does). Like I said, my knowledge of SQL is pretty basic so I've mostly been using XML to this point. Probably won't be of much help if you're trying to use my mod to understand how to code a mod using SQL. I'm not intending to transition all of my mod to SQL files, at least not anytime soon (it's certainly something I may consider in the future).

Edit: Your code in particular has a spelling mistake, "ture" where you mean "true", which is probably at least one major issue. It may have other issues I'm not immediately spotting due to unfamiliarity with SQL.

Last edited:
Thanks.
I tried the same modifiers by xml last week.It could not work by using mod,But it worked by overwriting the origin gamedata.I dont kown why.May I ask which tool do u use to edit the code?

Continuing Adjustments

This is a new version with a few minor bugfixes and other assorted adjustments. No asset update is necessary for this update if you're using 1.4.

• Minor fixes and cleanup.
  • Oracle no longer boosts local districts. Instead gives +1 Great Person point of every type of Great Person. Increased base culture and faith yields to 4.
  • Removed National Epic effect that grants points towards all current and future Great People. Boosted its other effect to give +2 GPP to local districts...

Top Bottom