Magil's Wondrous Wonders

[GS] Wondrous Wonders (Updated for Gathering Storm) 3.1.0

Where can I add the bonus resource boost back in?

The easiest way to do this would be to go into WorldWonders.xml, find the BuildingModifiers section and remove my entries for BUILDING_GREAT_ZIMBABWE under that section.

Sorry for the delay on updating the Civfanatics version of this, but here's the changes:

Changelog 1.9.1
  • Fixed Terracotta Army and Venetian Arsenal providing three units rather than two when producing certain units. Hopefully, anyway.
  • Changed the Shrine of the Saint, Mahabodhi Temple, Hagia Sophia, Mont St. Michel, and Potala Palace to affect Holy Site district yields, rather than building yields. They increase the yields of your Holy Sites for each building in those districts.
  • Instead of providing +1 Faith to Monuments, now Stonehenge provides +1 Faith to your City Center districts that contain a Monument.
  • The above was done to hopefully resolve issues where building yields did not update properly when capturing cities founded prior to constructing the appropriate wonder. Districts seem to update properly, while buildings do not.
  • The Indonesian Prasat should be properly recognized as a Temple by the above wonders.
  • Temporarily disabled foreign translations as they are no longer accurate (if those who did them get in touch with me, we can update them!).
Changelog 1.9.0
  • Updated the Shrine of the Saint and Potala Palace to properly affect the Dar-E-Mehr and Stupa.
  • Apadana: Removed previous bonuses. Now provides 1 Envoy upon completion, as well as 1 additional Envoy whenever you complete a Wonder in any of your cities. Also provides +3 Influence points per turn towards earning envoys.
  • Mausoleum at Halicarnassus: +3 Great Admiral points per combat kill using naval units. +1 Great Admiral and +1 Great Engineer points per turn.
  • Venetian Arsenal: Moved Great Admiral points per kill to Mausoleum at Halicarnassus. Instead now gives empire-wide +1 Production to coast tiles.
  • Angkor Wat gives +3 amenities from Entertainment.
  • Terracotta Army effects changed to match World Wonders-only version. Now provides one promotion level for all current units upon completion, and whenever you build a military unit in the city, you receive a second copy of that unit.
  • Oracle's original bonuses restored, except Faith patronage discount still at 50%.
  • Heroic Epic effects changed. No longer provides experience and combat strength bonus. Instead provides a free promotion for units trained in the city. When you produce a unit in the city, you gain 25% of the unit's combat strength as culture.
  • National Academy effects changed. No longer provides a free promotion for all current units. Instead provides +100% Experience and +4 Combat Strength for land units trained in the city.
  • Apostolic Palace can now be built with the Stupa or Dar-E-Mehr as a prerequisite.

Note: This will break past saves. Finish your games before updating if you don't want that to happen.

Last edited:
Yes, I always update the Steam version alongside this one. Sometimes I push out experimental builds on Steam first and then update here.

Magil updated Magil's Wondrous Wonders with a new update entry:

Update 1.9.2

Changelog 1.9.2
  • Jebel Barkal no longer allows you to purchase units with faith. Instead, it has the following benefit: Gain Faith equal to 25% of the unit's cost when producing a non civilian unit in any city in your empire.
  • I liked the previous modifier but it was incompatible with the Theocracy government. This one should encourage the same kind of gameplay, however.
  • Fixed Heroic Epic text: Gain Culture equal to 25% of the unit's cost when producing a non civilian...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Indeed I was wondering. Thanks for the update. Any plans for changes now that Rise & Fall is out?

Indeed I was wondering. Thanks for the update. Any plans for changes now that Rise & Fall is out?

I'm still playing with with local versions before I release an update. But one is coming!

I'm not sure if I'm going to make any immediate adjustments to expansion wonders, I might wait a bit and see how they play first, but I am making other adjustments based on gameplay changes/features.

Here's some little previews of what I'm working on:

Spoiler :

Note: the Great Library change only happens if you have Rise and Fall enabled. If you don't have the Rise and Fall ruleset enabled, the Great Library still has the +2 Science from Great Works of Writing and a free Great Writer. The reason I changed this for Rise and Fall is the Babylon city-state gives +2 Science for Great Works of Writing for its suzerain, and I found that if you gained and lost Babylon's suzerain status while having the Great Library you would lose the bonus.

Last edited:
it might be a good idea to change the Hanging Gardens as well since there's already a CS that gives fresh water to all cities for suzerain status

it might be a good idea to change the Hanging Gardens as well since there's already a CS that gives fresh water to all cities for suzerain status

Oh I know about Mohenjo-Daro's ability, but I don't think that one ceases functioning if you lose suzerain status while having the wonder. I'll double-check later to be sure, but I think I would've noticed that one by now.

yeah it can still be useful of course because there's no gurantee you're gonna have that CS in the game or be able to suzerain it, I just don't like having duplicate abilities in general. I think it's too powerful an effect especially that early, and it makes city placement less interesting for the rest of the game.

I like how Quo's Combined Tweaks handles it, giving it +1 food to jungle tiles is pretty useful early on and situational enough to make the decision of building the wonder an interesting one. I know you prefer to have global effects for world wonders and I agree with that, but considering how early the wonder is I think it's fine since your capital is going to be a huge part of your empire ;)

I actually personally really like the current ability I have for the Hanging Gardens, precisely because it's powerful and the wonder comes really early. It creates a lot of tension and desire to build a wonder in a stage of the game where competition for land is fierce, barbarians can run rampant, and you have the opportunity to get ahead in other ways that are less risky. +1 Food on rain forest just sounds like a weaker Chichen Itza to me. I also don't like to have too many duplicate effects but I think it's acceptable here because Mohenjo-Daro won't be in every game and even when it is, only one person can be its suzerain so the odds of redundancy are low. Another thing I considered for a while was +1 Housing in all cities but then Angkor Wat came and took that bonus.

well, +1 food for jungle tiles is indeed weaker but I think it's fine since one of the patches also added 2 housing to it which is pretty powerful early on. I like how you can combine it with Chichen Itza :D

I am trying to adopt a somewhat more flexible philosophy when it comes to Wonders--it's okay if they have a strictly local effect, as long as they also have a global effect. There will be exceptions here and there, like, the Colosseum is strong enough without adding a global effect to it, and there are modifiers in Rise and Fall that intrigue me because they would potentially allow a wider variety of regional effects (within X tiles) to be applied easily. Before, using the xml/sql files you could really only apply base yields and amenities with a regional radius but Rise and Fall opens up the possibility of attaching modifiers to cities within X tiles of a Wonder, which could be an interesting avenue to explore in the future.

I can't open 1.9.1 and 1.9.2, it appears the archive is corrupted :(

Um... I don't know what to say, they download fine for me. I'll be having a new version out fairly soon either way, but the archive downloaded fine onto my machine.

Edit: Almost done. Here's one more little preview.

Spoiler :

Last edited:
Here is the first update for Rise and Fall. Steam release will be following shortly.

Changelog 2.0.0
  • Removed dependency on Aztec DLC.
  • Hanging Gardens no longer provides +15% Growth.
  • Reduced Huey Teocalli's lake food bonus to +1 (down from +3). Culture bonus reduced to +1 as well.
  • Removed district lake adjacencies from Huey Teocalli. Replaced with the following effect: your Holy Site, Campus, Theater Squares, and Industrial Zones get a minor adjacency bonus from coast and lake tiles, and your Commercial Hubs get a standard adjacency bonus from coast and lake tiles.
  • Reduced Estadio do Maracana bonus to district projects to 20%, and removed happiness requirement.
  • Oracle Faith purchase discount to 25% (down from 50%, back to base game value).
  • Ruhr Valley bonus to Industrial Zones adjacent to rivers reduced to 2.
  • Again had to temporarily disable Chinese translation until it is updated.
  • Potala Palace Holy Site faith bonus changed to simply +2 Faith for each building in the district, to be more consistent with the other wonders that do similar things. Overall faith output is the same.
  • Shrine of the Saint tooltip updated to proper effect.
  • Angkor Wat no longer provides +3 Amenities from Entertainment. Instead, it causes your luxury resources provide an Amenity to one additional city.
  • Updated mutually exclusive building tooltip to more accurately represent how National Wonders work.
  • Grand Temple no longer requires you to have founded a religion.
  • Apostolic Palace no longer requires a worship building as a prerequisite. It requires the Grand Temple as a prerequisite and you must have founded a religion to build it.
  • Eiffel Tower no longer provides +50 points towards all current and future Great People. Instead, it adds +5 Tourism to all of your World Wonders.
  • (Rise and Fall) Great Library changed so that it no longer provides +1 Great Writer point, a free Great Writer, or +2 Science from Great Works of Writing. Instead, provides its old bonus of +1 Great Writer point per turn in each city with a Library, and also provides a random Eureka when you earn a Great Writer, in addition to when another player earns a Great Scientist.
  • (Rise and Fall) Statue of Liberty bonuses changed. No longer provides stable loyalty to nearby cities or free settlers. Instead, provides +3 Loyalty per turn and +15% Growth for all cities on your home continent, as well as +10% Production and +25% Gold for all cities on your home continent that have 2 or more specialty districts. Changed Harbor adjacency requirement to City Center.
  • (Rise and Fall) Forbidden City's culture reverted to 5 and no longer has a regional range. Instead, it now causes each of your cities within 6 tiles to always have the maximum amount of loyalty.
  • (Rise and Fall) St. Basil's Cathedral now must be built on Tundra or Tundra Hills tiles adjacent to the City Center. Its Religious Tourism bonus applies to all of your cities, not just the city in which it is built.
  • (Rise and Fall) Taj Mahal grants the city that builds it +20% Production and Growth during a Golden Age, as well as +15% Gold, Science, Culture, and Faith during a Golden Age.
  • (Rise and Fall) Kotoku-in no longer grants +20% Faith. Instead, it grants you a Warrior Monk whenever you construct a Holy Site district, and your Warrior Monks get +6 Combat Strength and +50% Combat Experience. You still must have founded a religion or have a majority religion in the city that builds the Holy Site to receive Warrior Monks.
  • (Rise and Fall) Instead of providing +2 Production for Industrial Zones adjacent to rivers, Ruhr Valley grants 20% Production to all cities within 6 tiles.
  • (Rise and Fall) Instead of providing 1 Science per specialty district in your cities, Oxford University grants 20% Science to all cities within 6 tiles.
  • (Rise and Fall) Instead of providing +10% Faith in all cities, Hagia Sophia provides +20% Faith to all cities within 6 tiles.
  • (Rise and Fall) Instead of providing +10% Culture in all cities, Hermitage provides +20% Culture to all cities within 6 tiles.
This mod does not require Rise and Fall to run, however, some changes are dependent upon code within the Rise and Fall files to work. Such changes are noted above. If you do not have Rise and Fall's ruleset enabled, the mod falls back on the original game changes. For example, Hagia Sophia provides +10% Faith in all your cities in the base game, or 20% Faith to cities within 6 tiles in Rise and Fall.

Last edited:
I made a Spanish localization of this mod, in case anyone wants it.
Traduje el texto del mod a español, en caso de que alguien lo quiera.

Spoiler Changes / Cambios :
New files / Archivos nuevos:

NationalWonders\NationalWondersInGameTextChange_es_ES.sql
NationalWonders\NationalWondersText_es_ES.xml
WorldWonders\DLCWorldWondersText_es_ES.sql
WorldWonders\RnFWorldWondersText_es_ES.sql
WorldWonders\WorldWondersText_es_ES.xml
CombinedWondrousWondersText_es_ES.sql​

Modified / Modificado:

WondrousWonders.modinfo​

Attachments

• Wondrows Wonders - Esp.zip