Woody III Medic

floydmcw

Prince
I've always wanted to combine Woodsman III (extra healing) with Medic 3. Usually I get a couple warriors promoted to WII but then lose them to barbs.

While shadowing a game on Noble my warrior got XP from huts and I promoted him to Woody III. Then I got a GG and thought, hey, let's make a Woody III Medic.

Except that 30 XP can only get him to C1,W3,M1. Think I'll need 50 XP for Medic III.

Should I have promoted another unit to M3? Does W3 stack with M3 if the promotions are on different units?

Yeah it's not feasible most games. Maybe with charismatic leaders (Boudica would be best) it can be done with 1 GG and a bit of fighting, otherwise at least 2 GG + fighting.

I think super-medics are overrated. Medic I gives enough bonus for most troops to be at full health after one turn of healing. The ones that aren't fully healed will attack with good odds against wounded opposition, assuming you build enough siege.

Medic 3 are great. Specially if you use small army.

Yes, it can help you move out for the next city a turn earlier, and those turns add up.

It really helps with siege units. Badly wounded attackers can garrison the city just taken, which doesn't make much sense for siege. Siege units also suffer from gaining XP so slowly, it's hard for them to get the healing from a promo.

I have done the Woodie 3 plus medic 3 with one of Monty's Jag's. Not that hard.

Well sure, because you get C1 from Agg and W1 from Jag. You just need 26 XP for the other 5 promos.

It really helps with siege units. Badly wounded attackers can garrison the city just taken, which doesn't make much sense for siege.
Wounded siege can still bombard with maximum efficiency and the ones at full health can be used for collateral.

Medic 3 are great. Specially if you use small army.
Agree, with a small army they are more useful. I think a super-medic is also better at slower speeds as you can't replenish the army fast enough so healing becomes more attractive.

Maybe not overrated, but imo medic 3 are slightly overused early in wars.
I often prefer warlord shared XP first for stronger units, it's not first general = medic for me :)

^^i've come to use this more and more, and you can always start your medic as part of this process if you have one in the works already.

Just attach it to a mid tier unit and use it to pick off weak enemies, eventually you'll get m3 and w3. Just make sure to never end turn on forest or jungle

Just attach it to a mid tier unit and use it to pick off weak enemies, eventually you'll get m3 and w3. Just make sure to never end turn on forest or jungle

I actually advise the opposite. With huge bonuses in the forest AND 2 first strikes, the GG is usually completely safe on defense in a forest. The only time this isn't true is if you are so far behind in military techs you're screwed anyway.

I actually advise the opposite. With huge bonuses in the forest AND 2 first strikes, the GG is usually completely safe on defense in a forest. The only time this isn't true is if you are so far behind in military techs you're screwed anyway.

Thought my super-medic was safe in a 99.38% battle too.

:(

Just to clarify if the OP isn't aware, you can add a 2nd GG to a unit by having the existing GG unit (Medic 3 axe or whatever) in the same tile as the new GG and another unit. This will split 10XP to both units.

Either that or take Leadership early on and do a lot of (safe) attacking with it (easier done with Charismatic)!

I know AbsoluteZero has a really good demonstration of this in a Boudica Immortal game on Youtube, with level 13-15 GGs by the end of the game.

Should I have promoted another unit to M3? Does W3 stack with M3 if the promotions are on different units?

This hasn't been answered.

Medic 3 and WM 3 do not stack when on different units.

They only stack when on the same unit.

This hasn't been answered.

They only stack when on the same unit.

While talking about medics, it's also worth pointing out that March on a supermedic isn't the most useful. It only heals THAT unit while moving, not everybody travelling with it.

I think the super-medics are really best for mounted wars where fast strikes and continuous movement are the recipe for success. Sure Med1 is good for slow wars with tons of siege and mixed stacks but Med3 will keep your mounted stack moving and able to capture cities much faster. Chain vassaling with mounted units will always be better with a Med3 vs a Med1 especially when you need to do it before AI gets Rifling!

Pangaea said:
While talking about medics, it's also worth pointing out that March on a supermedic isn't the most useful. It only heals THAT unit while moving, not everybody travelling with it.
That's why a bunch of my mounted units will get the march promotion along with having a super-medic in the stack. You save so many turns and in mounted wars, that is huge.

As for the Woody3 medic3, I really don't see why you would need to go this route. Seems like a waste but I guess it's fun to specialize a unit that much :D

Just to clarify if the OP isn't aware, you can add a 2nd GG to a unit by having the existing GG unit (Medic 3 axe or whatever) in the same tile as the new GG and another unit. This will split 10XP to both units.

Yes, but then it takes 3GG to produce one W3 supermedic. (With I guess 20 XP left over for other units.)

Either that or take Leadership early on and do a lot of (safe) attacking with it (easier done with Charismatic)!

It's a pain to level up a supermedic 1 XP at a time ... especially since it gets him in the field when he should be healing the attackers from the previous combat. I sometimes do it to get a Medic 3 unit to Morale for the extra MP. Often the GG unit has 23 XP, that's just 3 safe combats to level up.

Yup. I created a Medic 3 with another GG and experimented with it and the woody 3 unit, and verified that the healing times were the same whether or not the W3 was in the same square as Medic 3.

Enough experimenting, my next supermedic will be a chariot. :)

Enough experimenting, my next supermedic will be a chariot. :)

I usually use a scout/explorer. Really cheap, 2 movement points, and basically 0% chance of being attacked. If you lose a supermedic scout, you're probably screwed anyway.

Top Bottom