1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

WOOT !! i got rid of religion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by katanaD, Aug 6, 2017.

1. katanaD

katanaD Chieftain

one thing about civ 6 i really dont like is all the religious unit spam and how it can block movement

so now i play games with all the opponents as mvemba of kongo since he cannot make his own religion

no longer do i have to worry about contact and the following flood of religious units

2. The Economy

The Economy Chieftain

Sounds awfully boring, and I don't mean the lack of religion.

Slayan likes this.
  3. Janskey

Janskey Prince

Yeah, I couldn't stand hearing nothing but Kongo's music all the time, but I think it's actually a pretty good idea. A better way to implement it would be modding Kongo's "no religion" ability to affect all players. Maybe the AI would fare better if it built something else than holy sites all over the place.

4. kamex

kamex Emperor

Can't you just switch off Religious Victory and ignore the units?

Slayan likes this.
  5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

It still gets annoying. I always have religious victory off, but they still build lots of units and try to convert your cities. Though my current game they haven't been aggressive in converting me yet.

I thought this thread would be a way to change the game files to get rid of religion. Wishful thinking.

ZubieMaster likes this.
  6. Janskey

Janskey Prince

I'm guessing a quick and dirty way of doing it would be to change the value of UnitType="UNIT_GREAT_PROPHET" DistrictType="DISTRICT_HOLY_SITE" MaxPlayerInstances="1" in GreatPeople.xml to 0. The AI will still probably build holy sites, but can't get a prophet. So all they can use their faith for is to purchase great people (+ other stuff with the right government or suzerainty).

Savoir10 likes this.
  7. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

They really need to get rid of the civilians being able to block you mechanic, especially within your own borders.

Civilian units should only be able to block other civilian units, and military units should only be able to block other military.

The fact that I can protect a CS or other allied city by sending a protest squad to block access to the city is idiotic.

Or maybe it should only be available with democracy. Hah!

Pythakoreas and WillowBrook like this.
  8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I thought about that right after posting. Or change it to some obscenely huge number of GPP to get a prophet. Could be interesting as the AI would get some value out of the holy sites, but they may still waste too much production building them. I still think religions are interesting, but I'm just not interested in the conversion game.

9. stinkubus

stinkubus Emperor

Since Kongo is generally the toughest AI this could also make for a more challenging game. I wish religious units where like archaeologist, only one on the map per district at a time. They would be much more manageable then. The combat system would have to be totally redone though, lol.

Phoenix1595 likes this.
  10. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Never again are you going to worry about earning a great artist either. :lol:

Siptah likes this.
  11. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Love the conversation since the religious side of Civ VI is the least fun part of it for me. I'll have to look into some of the suggestions. I'd not want to cripple the AI's ability to buy GP with faith, only their ability to found religions & creat religious units.

12. RFormica

RFormica Imperator Silvae

I agree; I am fed up with all of the religious units. Especially when spies come with them. (Looking at you, CATHERINE.)
    And I think that they show up without open borders, too. :badcomp:

13. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

There is a global param where you can set the max number of religions I think.
    There was also another thread where someone had an elegant way of doing it, I just cannot remember what it was... unless it's the above.

14. PYITE

PYITE Prince

It only takes 2 simple lines of code to basically remove religion. There will still be a Stonehenge religion that will only have 2 beliefs so turning off religious victory is advisable because it turns out passive religious spread is pretty powerful when there is only one religion. I use it in my own personal mod that I can add or remove elements from. I would post it as a downloadable mod but I don't know how. Here is the code I use:

UPDATE Districts SET PrereqTech= 'TECH_ROBOTICS', PrereqCivic= NULL WHERE DistrictType= 'DISTRICT_HOLY_SITE' ;

UPDATE Districts SET PrereqTech= 'TECH_ROBOTICS', PrereqCivic= NULL WHERE DistrictType= 'DISTRICT_LAVRA' ;

You lose a lot of flavor but it certainly cranks up the challenge.

By the way, you can move the ability to build a holy site to any tech/civic but there is an era limit on great prophets, so the total number of religions founded will be variable.

15. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

This sounds like removal of a feature like amenities or housing. Religion is there to play with and the best counter is to have your own religion. You really have no interest in a free follower or worship belief?

16. Victoria

The best counter is to just ignore it, have you ever seen a civ win an RV?

cinattra likes this.
  17. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

No. I thought the point here was that missionary spam was annoying, not that the AI dominates religion game.

18. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Yes, but before any of the patches only.

19. Victoria

Of the thousand things that annoy me about this game, that's gotta be 999. I must be lucky or something. I have seen the odd screenshot that has a carpet but I have never faced one. I have had the odd religious unit in the way but that's it.

Karmah likes this.
  20. Slip de Garcon

Slip de Garcon Warlord

The only time religion has annoyed me was a recent game where I was Saladin, and by the time my religion was founded, a neighbour had so thoroughly spammed me that even my capital was impervious to the charms of my own religion. Hence I couldn't even generate one missionary to 'prime' the religion.