[Work Coordination] Todos for Release 4.0 aka "New Hope" [OBSOLETE]

raystuttgart

Civ4Col Modder
Hi guys,

in here I am trying to track the open todos we currently have for Release 4.0 aka "New Hope".

MANDATORY:
---- (for official 4.0 Release - beta could be earlier) ----

Known Bugs:

1) Travel from Europe Bug related to Shallow Water (
GIT Issue #608) [FIXED]
2) Automated Units get stuck on River Ford (GIT Issue #449) [FIXED]
3) Pathfinding for New Movement System (GIT Issue #561) [FIXED]
4) Issues in Automated Trade Route System
5) Once again broken Billboard Icons (
GIT Issue #657) [FIXED]
6) Combat Forecast sometimes not shown (
GIT Issue #557)
7) Negative Storage bug (totally breaking everything) (
GIT Issue #501)
8) Stacks attacking a Plot of Civilians Bug (GIT Issue #582) [FIXED]

Related to Features:

1) Bakery Production Chain
[DONE]
2) Trade Quests for new Yields
[DONE]
3) Professions for Tavern Building [DONE]
4) Improvements "Peat Pit" and "Clay Pit" [DONE]
5) Balancing Gun Powder [DONE]
6) Balancing Bakery Products [DONE]
7) Fouding Father Charcoal / Blackpowder [DONE]
8) Founding Father Bakery Products [DONE]

9) Founding Father Tavern Professions [DONE]

Sreens, Graphics and Texts:

1) Adjusting Maps [DONE]
2) Adjusting MapScripts [IN WORK]
3) Adjusting Domestic Advisor Screen [DONE]
4) Trade Quest Screen [OPEN]
5) Writing English Texts [DONE]
6) Adjusting L-Plot-System for new Resources [In Work]
7) Improving Unit Graphics [DONE]
8) Improving Building Graphics [DONE]

9) Crime and Law Domestic Advisor [OPEN]

10) Ethnicity and CitizenStatus Advisor [OPEN]

OPTIONAL

---- (at least for 4.0 Release) ----
Spoiler :

Others:

1) Adapting "Captured City Art" mod-component [DONE]
2) New Events using the new content (Units, Terrains, TerrainFeatures, ...) [DONE]

3) New Achievements using the new Units [OPEN]
4) New Goody Events using the new Units [DONE]
5) Animating Animals Aligator, Anaconda, Orca and Shark [OPEN]
6) Europe / Africa / Port Royal Market Events [OPEN]

7) Finishing and Merging "Crime and Law" [DONE]

-----------------------

Well, there is still a bit of work ahead of us. :)

But we should manage to get it done in the next months. :thumbsup:
(A lot of that stuff is already in work.)

Thanks again to everybody contributing. :grouphug:

--------------

If I missed something, let me know. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
there might be one more item added to the Known Bugs list, but I need time to test. it concerns the Automated Trade Route System.
edit. although this is not a mandatory item for publishing a release, but without it working correctly, the mid and late game becomes very complicated.

I'm not talking about improving, but about fixing a bug - at the moment they almost do not work. that is, they make almost no sense.

Great. If the weather is bad this weekend and I'm at home, I'll definitely look at this option for building the world.

Great. If the weather is bad this weekend and I'm at home, I'll definitely look at this option for building the world.
It is almost 20 degrees celsius here today, and will be minus 2 degrees tomorrow night; so absolutely miserable weekend weatherwise by contrast. My body can not get used to these heavy fluctuations; but perhaps studying perennial rainforest fauna will cheer me up.

I have (quickly) added the New Hope terrains and features to @FlaviusBelisarius large river mapscript
@Ramstormp
For Placing TerrainFeatures please just call these functions from the MapScripts
They should handle everything already perfectly nicely. :thumbsup:

Explanation:
The Maps that randomize Terrains should also already do that for the "Land Terrain Features".
(They currently do not do it for Water, because it is hard to e.g. create "Streams" or "Coral Reefs" nicely.)

addFeaturesOnLand() addFeaturesOnWater()

About Maintainability:
This is the only way we can stay "save" for the future, once the Terrain Features get balanced differently again.
(The functions above already fully interpret XML configuration and thus always place / match Features to Terrains correctly.)

------

The only problems that MapScript should have to solve:
  1. Placing Base Terrains
  2. Placing Large Rivers (actually also a Terrain)
  3. Placing Rivers (the small normal ones)
Everything else like this is better handled in DLL.
(Since it already does it for Maps anyways - thus Python calls are available.)
  1. Terrain Features
  2. Resources
  3. Goods
  4. Villages
  5. ...
------

Remark on "Streams:
Streams
are currently also "hand placed" in Maps - because only this ensures that they look good and work well.
(A logic to place them by DLL does not exist because it is extremely difficult to code.)

The logic for MapScripts could be writen in Python but it would also be very difficult.
(But it is ok for now if RandomMaps do not have Streams - unless.)

Last edited:
Hi guys, let us please try to get some progress again this weekend for the work for Release 4.0. :)

-------

I plan to finish this here latest tomorrow:
5) Balancing Gun Powder [In Work]

--------

@Schmiddie:
Is it possible to get the graphic done this weekend?
4) Improvement "Digging Pit" [In Work]

--------

@Raubwuerger
What is the status on this here?
2) Trade Quests for new Yields [In Work]

-------

@Nightinggale
Would you have some time to take a look at this here?
3) Adjusting Domestic Advisor Screen [In Work]

I had already prepared some stuff:
# WTP, ray, just putting the 2 new button references in here so nobdy has to search.

This still needs to be done:

1) Split "Domestic Demand Overview" from "General" and give it its own page / button in Domestic Advisor
2) Make the sub-pages for "Domestic Demand Overview" dynamic (so it adjusts to the amount of Yields)
3) Split "Happiness Overview" from "General" and give it its own page / button in Domestic Advisor

-------

@Mr. ZorG
What is the status on the Maps? Could we get another one done this weekend?
1) Adjusting Maps [In Work]

--------

It would be great to have a bit of progress again towards Release 4.0. :grouphug:
(Only at the weekends I have a bit of time to work a bit more concentrated on the mod.)

Last edited:
Hi guys, let us please try to get some progress again this weekend for the work for Release 4.0.

I am a little puzzled. It's not like nothing was done this week. I've been working on graphics all week.... :dunno:

Is it possible to get the graphic done this weekend?
I don't know. The crane does not work as intended and is a lot more work than expected. I need to rebuilt the complete improvement and animation. Furthermore there is a problem with the "working" graphic that shows up when a settler is working on the plot. I need to disable this when the improvement is built. Otherwise it looks weird.

Hence, it will take some further time to figure that out. Maybe :)

I've been working on graphics all week.... :dunno:
I did not want to say that nobody worked. :thumbsup:
(It is more about which work needs to be prioritized.)

The "blocking things" simply need to be worked on first.
(Bugs, Screens, Maps, MapScripts, Trade Quests ...)

We could release a beta with the graphics we have right now and still continue improving them.
But the other stuff would cause an incomplete or buggy game experience and will thus delay a release if not getting finished.

So working on improving the existing graphics is awesome and should continue.:hug:
But the other stuff is more urgent because it is on the "critical path" and may delay a release.

----

Summary:
So let us try get some stuff from the "critical path" done again this weekend. :grouphug:
(Because these may be things where also work coordination is necessary.)

In other words:
It would be great to eliminate few of these blockers again.
(If it is only one or two this weekend that is good enough.)

Last edited:
This is now done. :)
5) Balancing Gun Powder [DONE]

A few comments on new Balancing:

1) It is now a bit harder to build Ships (because Gun Powder is needed, which either needs to be bought or produced)
2) This is also reflected in Ship Buy-Prices (especially of War Ships got a bit more expensive to buy, since they need more Gun Powder)
3) It is now a bit harder to equip Military Professions (because e.g. Gun Powder is needed)
4) This is also reflected in Veteran Buy Prices (beause they already come equipped which also needs to be payed)

How this will effect gamelay:
(All of this is intended.)

1) Wars need to prepared more wisely and strategically, they come at higher costs
2) Losing Units in Battle has a higher impact due to the costs to replace them
3) It is not as easy anymore to build up an army to e.g. conquer Native Empires

Further balancing arguments:

The mod has gotten many new features that allow you to generate more money. (e.g. Trade Quests, Goody Events, ...)
Also there are many many more Yields and Production chains to make profit. (Many new Cash Yields.)
So money in genral will not become a problem. But you will have to think a bit more if you spend it on troops or other stuff.

Considering immersion:

The colonies were not "rich superpowers" with lots of standing military. Military and Combat Ships were actually rare and expensive to maintain.
So I feel it greatly helps immersion to have a slower and more challenging military build up in the colonies.

@Nightinggale has implemented the "Domestic Market Advisor" (as its own button). :clap:
(So it was split out of "General" page in "Domestic Advisor".)
Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

Top Bottom