'Workable' vs 'Optimum' States

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
I discovered something interesting for some computer troubleshooting -- first, you have to get into a workable state, and then from there, get to the optimum state, or the one you want..

For a concrete example, take my constant display adaptor problems. The workable state there would be the default VGA adaptor. And the optimum state would be the ATI adaptor.

This isn't all the time, though -- for example, if you're troubleshooting an installer, the optimum state would to be get it going, and there's really nothing inbetween (unless it freezes while installing).

What do you all think of this? Any other ideas?

It's not a black and white issue. Okay, maybe 'Optimum' is, but workable really means any level of function that you're willing to deal with.

Well, a program working vs a program not working is black and white. LOL.

Another example:
A workable state is lowering graphic settings on a game so it'll actually open. Although it'll not look so good.
An optimum state is having a decent enough graphic card not to have to do that.

LOL.

You could futz with crap all day (or far longer), and it would never be optimal. At some point, you hit diminishing returns and go on to the next misadventure.

Well, "optimal" is the point you're trying to get to with the troubleshooting.

None of my computers have ever been in "optimum states". Ever. Even when it's "fresh out of the box" (metaphorically speaking), it's still got problems. Such is life.

You could futz with crap all day (or far longer), and it would never be optimal. At some point, you hit diminishing returns and go on to the next misadventure.

QFT. Perfection shoots...he scores.

Top Bottom