1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Worker from CS: stealing or pressing?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by DST1348, Aug 22, 2014.

1. DST1348

DST1348 Warlord

Hello,

I wonder if it is ever worthwhile to obtain a Worker from a CS by Demanding Tribute. In the early game, stealing a worker by declaring war for one turn only requires a single Warrior and results in -60 :c5influence: Influence. However, to press the Worker as a Tribute requires several units close by and results in -50 :c5influence: Influence.

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Only real benefit I see is that asking tribute (worker or gold) doesn't count as a DOW on the CS.

3. consentient

consentient Domination!

It's only really worth stealing workers on higher difficulty levels, and gives you a real boost there. The best way to do it is to steal 2 workers, not the one turn cheese. If the worker you stole had built an improvement, pillage it and then come back after 10 turns and steal another. THEN make peace.

4. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

Not having to DOW is a big one.

5. JeSuisNapoleon

JeSuisNapoleon Prince

The way I look at this is that if your army is big enough to get a worker as tribute from one CS, its probably enough to march over to the next one and get another worker for free as well. No DOWs needed.

Of course, then you miss out on quests and XP for your army if you want to get promos early.

Can you get penalties for bullying more than once?

6. Resipsa

Resipsa King

What difficulty level can you reasonably bully most CS (even hostile personality) in the early game?

EDIT: This isn't a retorical question, If I want to do a low level all melee dom game at what level can I run 6-8 Melee units by a CS and get them to be afraid

7. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

^ This is the issue. At lower levels, bullying is relatively easy. At higher levels, bullying usually fails, while a worker-steal DOW just requires a well-located scout.

8. Vitruvius

Vitruvius King

I have bullies CSes on deity as Celts. I beelined bronze working with honor free general to get the production bonus for Pictish warrior. And spammed Picts like no tomorrow. This works only if you have a lot of flat land CSes around so you can roam your army to demand tribute from each of them (you can only demand tribute once every 10 turns).

Can you do this for fun? Yes.
    Is this a viable strategy for the long term? No.

9. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Another alternative is letting barbs do your dirty work for you as the city states are even worse at defending their workers from barbs than the major AIs are.

10. MrDumpstertrash

MrDumpstertrash Chieftain

Is that really reliable? I steal and make peace if it's under protection, or steal and keep stealing if not. I have never demanded tribute, I'm not sure why either :confused:

11. joncnunn

If a barb camp pops up early near that city state that's not too close to an AIs civ, yup, you can rely upon the barbs to steal the city state's worker.

12. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

but is not returning worker together will kill camp quest too good for getting early ally?

13. joncnunn

Yup, returning a CS worker the same turn as clearing a camp quest normally is better than keeping the worker. But there might not be a clear camp quest yet.

14. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

the only time I bullied for a worker was when i was on my way to take a city and needed one for pillage improving and bait. otherwise it's always gold.

15. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

On marathon, you might be better off keeping tbe CS workers from barbs, though. The influence bonus fades in no time, but the worker sticks around, and they cost 3x as much to build yourself. Likewise, if you are actually able to bully a worker from a CS on marathon, it's similarly worth it--the 50 influence hit will be erased before you know it.

Usually the bigger cost is the time it takes to divert all that military just to demand tribute--AND the influence cost. The opportunity to bully has to be convenient--as in a couple turns' max diversion for my army, CS quest for it, influence is near resting point anyway, no doable quests to lose. On immortal and deity, the stars don't all line up very often--and I'm a total domination player. I would say maybe twice a game, on average.