1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Worker militia

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by WS78, May 24, 2004.

1. WS78

WS78 Chill moan!

Is there any way to (temporarily) turn workers/slave workers into lowpower military units to defend territory?
    Maybe partisans or other peasant militia?

Could this actually be achieved using upgrade, not joining and conscripting.

2. Joey_Ramone

Joey_Ramone Warlord

I don't think so

3. bluebox

bluebox King

a way i could think of: you need a worker unit unit with combat stats. as the worker unit is era specifiic i would rather use the guerilla, copy it + call it partisans, combine it with the worker anims in the .ini file and add it to your scenario, combining guerilla + worker features and plug it in the upgrade path. Followed?

maybe a post for the mod forum. :mischief:

4. WS78

WS78 Chill moan!

Fighting workers is not what i'm looking for.

5. ocedius

ocedius C++ induced baldness

I use a "partisan" unit. Costs 0 shields, 1 population, no upkeep, join city flag, 0 attack, Low defense, immobile, and defensive bombardment. Takes one turn to crank out.

Should slow down but not stop an enemy. If you have a defender in the city, it'll work kinda like the archer and weaken the attacker. Once you're done with it, just select it and click join city, and it'll be added back to the population! :)

6. Penguin Glory

Penguin Glory Aquatic Pigeon

That could be abused however, ocedius. This could be used to move population around in your cities for free. Many players build workers for this purpose (read the worker dogpile part of the cheats section to see what I mean), so with a unit like yours it could be almost an exploit.

7. Kiech

Kiech King

Actually...there is a sort of worker milita. Having a size 7 or 13 city provides incredible defencive bonuses.

8. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Except that they are immobile.

9. ocedius

True but thats why I make em 'immobile'. Also it seems to have worked rather well. I use em all the time and since all civs can make em, they allow for secondary mobilization so to say. I should have added that I don't have any other flags selected. Since my naval units are always set to 'transport foot units', these units can't be loaded either.

Just my 2 cents on the matter :)

Interesting I have (unsuccessfully) tried a different approach by making 'resistor' type units. (full thread @ http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=89055).

10. Penguin Glory

Penguin Glory Aquatic Pigeon

Oh sorry, I missed that. :blush:

11. WS78

WS78 Chill moan!

No building either! The unit either works or fights (with joining a city in between).

12. ocedius

Are you talking about a defensive trait, or an offensive one as well?

13. Binnor

Binnor High Prince

14. Kiech

Kiech King

You could give them a bombard range of 0. Heh, I kinda like that idea. Make an animation of them throwing ripened fruit or something.