worker replacement?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Spitefire, May 5, 2008.

1. Spitefire

Spitefire Prince

What tools would be needed to place a extra button on the screen that when pressed opens into a menu of worker improvements that can be placed inside borders as per normal but do not activly need workers running around the map to do the task

An example might be
    The player presses the button selects the improvment thay want we will say a farm in this case and when going to place the farm the square is green only on plains/grass lands next to river unless needed tech is already gotten in spots where it cant be applyed like on hills or outside of borders it shows up the grayish color like when trying to use a nuke on your own land, after you select the place where you want the farm a the cost in gold/hammers/whatever is removed and the GFX for the farm being built is the normal worker doing the tilling shows up on the square when finished it disapperes again and you have a new farm or many new farms if you placed the order for multiple new farms.

For some that have played Civilization Call to power and remeber the Public works system im thinking of something similar to that.

I hope i have managed to not trip on my own tongue and is clear enough understand.

2. Refar

Refar Deity

Sounds like a big progamming project.

3. PeteT

PeteT Warlord

You can get the Call to Power source code over at Poly. See question 4 in this link:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139275

This will show you how they implemented the Public Works system and you could adapt it to do it your way. You also need to know Python to handle the interface.

But this looks like an awful lot of work to me.

4. Spitefire

Spitefire Prince

No major plans at the moment i just need to know what tools would be needed for such an objective so that i can study them, this idea like many othes i would have loved to see in use in game but more then likely might need to do them myself so i just want to know if i should aquire some sdk stuff now or stay with studying the python stuff and coninueing on my own tweaking XML stuff, so i guess its just a question of if SDK now or later.

Thanks PeteT.

Seems that the faulty SP2 install has finally bit me in the bum if someone can point out to me something similar to Visual Studio 2003 that can be used with civ4 it might be helpful as it stands i cant even install it.

I am still not sure the idea i have in mind would need it but more tools are normally more useful, i dont intend to apply this idea the way it seems that i made it sound from what iv seen all the parts are already in play in many diffrant ways, anyway thanks for any help.