1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Worker steals

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Treso, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Treso

Treso Warlord

It always worth it in the beginning of the game?
    Mainly if you are planning to wipe a civ from the world?

2. ipris

ipris Warlord

Believe that most the time it's a CS (not a full Civ) that a worker is taken from when it's been mentioned.
    Not sure it matters if you plan to wipe them out or not.

//never actually used the tactic.

3. Beld

Beld Whiskeyclone

I don't see why not. In general, I dont worker steal is if it's just me and 1 (or 2) other person(s) on my continent, mainly because I want someone to trade with before compass (and I want them to keep making those juicy cities that I will soon be plundering when I meet another trade partner). CS's take so long to pop a worker I ususally have all I need by the time they come around, but situationally I'll steal from them.

4. Bobafett0610

Bobafett0610 Warlord

if you can steal from a CS early on sure. But i've only been able to steal from workers that are capture and are on their way back to barbarian camp. Also, CS take forever to pop out a worker anyways and when they do if you have a unit waiting nearby to take the worker they will see that and always move one of their military units on to the worker to defend it making it tough to steal it as you have to kill the warrior/spearmen on it and survive the city fire, and this is usually very early in the g ame wher you still have 1 or 2 warriors so its not worth losing early units. Better off building your own worker/(s) and captureing the rest from a civ when you conquore his cities. Or save up cash through early openborders/lux trading and buy a worker as soon as you found a new city, that helps me greatly as i don't have to take time building it in capital and sending it up there, i can start improving city right away so it doesnt suck in production for a long time before worker gets there.

5. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

depending upon how strong a neighboring civ is, I generally prefer to steal from major civs instead of CS's. my best games usually involve stealing 1 or more workers from a nearby civ at the very beginning of the game (first 10 turns preferably), then just kind of expecting that I'll have to take them over at some point. obviously this doesn't work if that civ is your only trade partner.

6. YYY

YYY Chieftain

Stealing workers from city-states is fine if it's not your first worker. City-states will usually wait until almost turn 40 (standard time scale) to produce their first worker, which far too late for your first one. Especially if the one you are stealing from is any length away from where you want it used. I'll generally try to steal workers for my second and third cities so they can spend their time building monuments and libraries instead.

Stealing from enemy majors is way too hit or miss for my tastes. In the first 10-30 turns, I am usually getting a feel for the map and my neighbors, trying to figure out which victory type makes sense. Stealing a worker from an enemy major can backfire in a big way, especially if you're playing on higher levels.

7. oawiefga

oawiefga Warlord

It is better if you get one from a barbarian camp. Otherwise a city state is fine but just one. If you DoW on more than one they start going to "sheilds up" mode.

I've also gotten workers before by taking their settler. This only happens when they don't settle on their start location for some reason.

8. skallben

skallben Diplomat

CSs doesnt start with a worker as the AI on higher difficulties?

9. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Rush-buying the worker with your first 310:c5gold: is the best gold spent in the entire game. You can always "liberate" additional workers later. You'll need them.

10. swordspider

swordspider Dread Multiplayer

You can be patient enough to wait for the closest CS to build a worker, it is not smart to take one from an actual civ that early. Just park a scout outside the CS borders and grab the worker as soon as you see it. Then make immediate peace with the CS (they always accept if it is the first one you go to war with). The CS will return to neutral over time.

It is also smart to purchase your first worker, 220 in quick, 310 in standard. Worth every penny.

Lastly, a lot of guys like to steal a SECOND or even THIRD worker from local CSs. Just know that they will be at permanent war with you- However, with that said, if you don't friend CSs anyway, and they are not within 5 tiles of your border (the max their military will travel), then yeah it is a safe bet to steal the worker!

11. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

Yeah in some situations it's ok to get some workers and get a perm. war with 1 or 2 CS if they don't build too much units. You can go easily steal a worker with a single swordman or horse(if no spearman around). On higher levels than emperor this might be problematic tho.

12. Aoxomoxoa

Aoxomoxoa Prince

You can steal a worker from a CS, make peace the next turn and in some number of turns, I've never kept count, the CS won't be angry anymore. I steal from a CS or another Civ, it makes no difference to me. The benefit of the extra 1-3 workers far outweigh the fairly small hit you take.

13. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

As i remember i managed two or three times to steal 2 workers from 2 different CS and i was be able to make peace with the second one as well. Does somebody knows a formula about when it occurs?

14. YYY

YYY Chieftain

This generally takes about 60 turns, all else being equal. Some city-states forget slights faster than others, but 60 is a good ballpark. While 60 turns isn't the whole game by any means, it's also kind of a long time. Nothing would suck more than annoying a city-state with critical strategic position (ie, positioned directly between yourself and your closest rival) early on. So while worker stealing from city-states is still generally a good idea, it's something to be sure you consider.

15. biohazard72

biohazard72 Prince

Worker-stealing from a CS is a good use of your one "free" war declaration on a city-state. Best is to do it from a military or cultural city-state which you are less likely to ally early on.

However, sometimes you are blocked out from a free CS Worker steal by an annoying civ who pledges to protect every CS they meet. Usually in that case I buy a Worker as my 2nd.

16. Smote

Smote Emperor

Destroy said civ, after using the worker to boost your economy. :lol:

17. swordspider

swordspider Dread Multiplayer

It absolutely depends on the amount of CSs on the map. For instance, if there are only 6, the second time you attack they will all go to permanent war with you. If there are 20, well then you can hit 2-3. I've got no data to back it up, but personal experience seems to tell me that you can attack somewhere up to about 20% of the max CSs before they all decide they want you dead.

As stated elsewhere though, there is also a 'cooldown' factor, so that comes into play as well.

18. ipris

ipris Warlord

/edit NVM.

19. Ironlyon

Ironlyon Chieftain

I have tried to steal more than 1 twice, once on Deity and once on Immortal. Both times put me in perma war with the second CS I stole from. On the Deity one, the CS allies/friends denounced me, then declared war the next turn. Both maps were standard size. So if stealing from the CS's make sure to steal from a Military one last so you don't lose the Maritime or Cultural one so soon in the game.

20. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

Well you can stay at war with the first CS you attack and take another worker when they build one, but in general it's a better idea to steal one or two from an AI. On Immortal or Deity, the AI starts with one or two workers respectively, which you can often steal with your initial warrior and sign peace later. Even if you stay at war for a while, the AI is rarely able to do you any significant harm, and having the worker without spending 10 turns of production on it is well worth it. In addition to that, you harm an opponent.