1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Workers shouldn't put roads on every tile

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by joebasstard, May 11, 2004.

1. joebasstard

joebasstard Chieftain

I can't stand the appearance of the l;ate parts of the game where EVERY land tile has a road or railroad, and a mine or irrigation.
    Worker AI souldn't put roads in mountains UNLESS there is a resource in the mountain, the mountain is ADJACENT to a city, or the mountain is DIRECTLY (1 tile width only) between two neighboring cities.
    Also, if the # of road tiles in a city radius is above a certain number, there should be a monetary cost per tile.

2. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

I disagree, strongly. I place roads everywhere. It makes good strategic sense. The more roads I have the more movement options my troops have (and this doesn't even factor in any economic benefits and there are plenty in Civ3).

Having said that, I think the AI should be a bit smarter about its priorities on which tiles to road first.

I bet that there are roads on the tile you live in IRL ;)

3. judgement

judgement Itinerant Polymath

Exactly... even if a tile was only a couple miles square (and I think its's safe to assume they're much bigger, given the number there are on the map of the world) then, if you consider the developed part of real world, every tile anywhere near any city would have roads in it.

4. Pounder

Pounder Phaethon was here

If it is just a visual thing, maybe a matter of not liking that many roads, but you would like the benefit of the extra commerce, then maybe you should consider modifing the 'roads' file. Maybe clear the some of the roads and replace them with an icon or a variety of icons that represents the improvement on the tile. That would reduce the amount of roads visually.

Maybe something that wouldn't be era specific, something like small birds flying over or small clouds or maybe just a coin.

The problem with roads and railroads is that it doesn't care what the terrain type is. The game places the tiles according to connectivity not landscape, if your town is next to a mountain, that mountain will probably end up with a fully meshed road/railroad tile placed upon it. Even if you get rid of half the fully meshed tiles you will have no control of the terrain type they are placed on.

Edit: I forgot which thread I was on, Civ4 Ideas and Suggestions, which makes my post meaningless because it only applies to Civ3. Sorry :sad:

BTW, I prefer to have roads visual on every tile that I have improved.

5. HAND

HAND Armchair Philosopher

How about making railways alot harder to build and have highways as the medium speed option? They could give twice the movement bonus of a normal road and railways have the same instant. It would be quite a step away from the tested norm..