workers stopping work

TractorBoy

Prince
Workers are having to be prompted to restart working even after the offending barb camp has been destroyed, it happens time and time again and will last for the continuation of what ever is being built, upon moving to the hex next door the same is happening.
It seems to me that the workers are not recognizing that the barb camp/camps has been destroyed and will continue to need prompting for the duration of the game. When playing wide empire games this becomes extremely time consuming.

EDIT
I have just started another game and the problem seems to be with City States and other Nations that we were once at war with, our workers don't seem to recognise that we are now at peace!

I have discovered that if I go back to war and conquer the offending City then the workers go back to work as normal.

When put onto auto-work the workers are ignoring the areas close to where a barb camp once was.

EDIT
This is now incorrect as explained in the OP.

Do you happen to have a save demonstrating this? Thanks!

Do you happen to have a save demonstrating this? Thanks!

Sorry I cannot send an attachment because all the games I play are sent to the HOF site and any interference would deem the games unadmissable. Perhaps someone else who has had similar problems can send an attachment!

My workers are never automated so I am more likeley to see the problem before others do, if automated there will eventually be large areas of land unimproved and these areas will be close to where you were once at war with a Nation or CS.

Save file attached, I was at war with Germany, made peace, but the workers react like I'm still at war with them...

Attachments

• AutoSave_0241 AD-0960.Civ5Save
    963.1 KB · Views: 257
I had a situation where I had a load of barbarians moving in and out of a nearby tile to one of my cities. They weren't approaching but hopping in and out of my workers' 4 tile 'threat' range. They were heavily injured and there was nothing but jungle and swamp between them and my city. Also my units weren't able to 'tidy up' for being needed elsewhere. Ofcourse every single turn my workers stopped working and needed their orders confirmed each and every turn which became rather tiresome. If the barbs had come anywhere near enough to steal the workers theyd have been squashed by my city.

It's handy having them stop so you can move them if they're in danger. But the perceved threat seems to be much greater than reality, which can be a real nuisance most of the time. I'd like to see this changed so they stop working if there's a direct threat of being captured within, say, 2 turns. That way they'd carry on the vast majority of the time when they were safe by the surrounding terrain/city ZoC; but with enough leeway if there is an ambiguous case with terrain preventing moving said worker to safety.

I know this is a minor point but the number of times this has happened to me... ;)

This post by Juanholio is indeed a minor problem and has allways happened, as i have said earlier the major problem is (I think) workers not recognizing that a CS or Nation we were once at war with but are now at peace with, they continue to act as if afraid to work and will continue to do so for the whole game or until we conquer the offending City.
I might be unusual but I often play games with a hundred or so workers and these are generally 20hrs long but with this worker problem and my style of play we are talking about a 40hr game!

Thanks guys, keep up the good work.

Here's another savegame with the issue. In this game I was at war with America, captured Washington, then captured and destroyed New York, removing America from the game. I have two settlers working in the Washington area, one building a trading post, the other one building a farm. I'm not at war with any civs and there are no barbarians near Washington. The settlers should keep working until their tasks are complete. Instead, if you click "Next Turn", the game shifts to the worker building the trading post (who's stopped his work) and asks what I want him to do, then repeats the process with the worker who's building the farm.

Thanks for looking into this!

cheers,
Phil

Attachments

• QuickSave.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 230
Here's another savegame with the issue. In this game I was at war with America, captured Washington, then captured and destroyed New York, removing America from the game. I have two settlers working in the Washington area, one building a trading post, the other one building a farm. I'm not at war with any civs and there are no barbarians near Washington. Phil

From my experiences - If America were allied to any City States and even if you have since made peace with them and they are close by, try taking them out, you might just find your workers start working properly again. Unfortunately this is not the way we are meant to be playing.

From my experiences - If America were allied to any City States and even if you have since made peace with them and they are close by, try taking them out, you might just find your workers start working properly again. Unfortunately this is not the way we are meant to be playing.

Good suggestion, but America wasn't allied with anyone else. (They were too busy spending all their money on settlers, trying to spam out cities every thirty seconds. Before I destroyed them I captured six or seven settlers, I think).

The annoying thing is that the workers started behaving themselves about forty turns later, for no discernible reason that I could see. Wish I knew what precisely was causing them to misbehave.

cheers,
Phil

The annoying thing is that the workers started behaving themselves about forty turns later, for no discernible reason that I could see. Wish I knew what precisely was causing them to misbehave.

cheers,
Phil

Thanks Phil, If they go back to work after 40 turns (marathon) I could probably put up with that.
I'm glad you have posted an attachment, I was beginning to think I am the only one who has experienced this annoyance. I think we have become dinosaurs in the Civ World, vanilla has become old hat!

I have the same issue in two of my games. I just bought this game last week and it seemed strange. Here is an upload of my Suleiman and my Caesar game. These are the only two I have played so far.

Do the workers stop building mines and farms after each turn for you when you use these saves?

edit:
It is also when moving any military, boats, or worker units. You can right click to queue a move 3 or more hexes but after each turn, I have to go back and tell them again as if I hadn't previously moved them.

Attachments

• Suleiman_0087 BC-0700.Civ5Save
    636.6 KB · Views: 297
  • Augustus Caesar_0212 AD-1510.Civ5Save
    840.4 KB · Views: 226
I am playing a duel King Marathon Great plains game.
I am 650 turns in, and own every single tile on the map except a few belonging to Arabia and a few belonging to two Maritime CSs.
I have not been at war with Arabia for 270 turns.
I have never been at war with a City state.
I have seven workers positioned in various locations around the map and every one of them has to be told to work at the end of every single turn!

EDIT
Turn 850 I have deleted all bar one worker and I automate him, he starts building railroads but not in a regular fashion, he seemed to be going out of his way to avoid alot of areas of the map, it did seem to me from what I could recall that these areas were close to where barbarian camps had once been spawning.

Since last patch, workers will prompt after pressing 'next turn' approximatively 5 tiles away where there have been enemy units but now there's not any. This can last very long and is very, very annoying. (rage quitted a couple of games because of that)

Please Firaxis fix that.

will continue to do so for the whole game or until we conquer the offending City.

Actually it didn't stop until conquering the cities, once I ripped out totally my enemies and the workers were still behaving like that.

Moderator Action: Threads merged.

Guess there could be the need for some more savegames.

OK I will restart a game and send a save file. Not sure if the effect will be the same on your computers though.

Hi all, am new to this forum but have played civ since II. I have never had this problem before and all posts i found on many sites just end up with same answers from people. The issue is that workers no longer work...I have to tell them to continue to work each turn. A few things that you may want to know:

1. I am talking about my own small continent, in the middle of my Empire
2. I can see all hexes within a minimum of 10 or so in all directions
3. There are no barbarians, no enemies
4. I have not declared war on any CS
5. None of the workers are automated

Basically, they have just bugged out!! Is there a patch or fix that anyone knows of...because for the first time since civ started I am frustrated at the game..it totally ruins the game when you have 20 odd workers that you continuously have to retell to do a basic thign such as build a road.

Please!! Someone, is there an answer as to why this is happening this month and is there a fix!!?

Thanks for any help

Sincerely

Truly Frustrated :(

PS - Please do not tell me the only option is to put a military unit on each worker, that is crazy and only goes to show this is a bug that needs urgent attention ;)

Moderator Action: Threads merged.

I have the same issue in two of my games. I just bought this game last week and it seemed strange. Here is an upload of my Suleiman and my Caesar game. These are the only two I have played so far.

Do the workers stop building mines and farms after each turn for you when you use these saves?

edit:
It is also when moving any military, boats, or worker units. You can right click to queue a move 3 or more hexes but after each turn, I have to go back and tell them again as if I hadn't previously moved them.

I loaded both your save games (in both vanilla and G&K) and everything seems normal to me: Workers continue to build improvements without stopping. Units with orders move to the specified location without having to be told again. You're playing vanilla Civ5 (not G&K) because religion isn't present. I'm not sure what's going on, but the devs are looking at the problem. Hope they find a fix!

Top Bottom