Workers

Verowin

Voodoo Chile
War caused innovations and shaped civilizations, but they were build on common workers. To improve the game, is to improve the part that is ignored the most. Make workers more interesting.
Divide them into farmers, builders, and traders. Each unit is upgradable.
Irrigation in the ancient time is done different from now a day.
Building a Roman road is different from building a Railroad.
As you learn new techs, you can upgrade your workers accordingly.
To increase their output you could send them on a vacation, or on a Pilgrimage to Mecca, visit an ancient wonder.
A worker can become a soldier. He needs to go to a barrack and be trained.
A soldier can become a worker. You can change those useless warriors (you still have laying around in the Middle Ages) to workers, if you do not have the money to upgrade them.
A worker can become a ship, or a truck and start trading with different nations.
The possibilities are endless. I don't think you should go to far, I still like to pick a fight once in a while.

Nope- too complicated. Stick with the tried and true one type fits all worker.

Arming the workers in a good idea though. What about a seperate type of unit- Army Corp of Engineer, which would have a defense factor and could construct things in war zones?

I did like how in Civ 2 how the workers upgraded into engineers which worked on their chores more efficiently.

Unfortunately I have no proof for that but I remember in one of my first attempts at vanilla CIV I had eliminated everyone(at chieftain level)and I was playing a "few more turns" somewhere in the 21st century, when I ordered a unit in to my capitol the unit-infantry I think was attacked by a worker in the attempt to enter Berlin.and killed the worker. I havent seen that since...

OK, at great risk of repeating myself ;)!
First up, I think that workers/engineers should be 'tied' to the city that built them, in a 'worker pool'. If applicable, you'd also have a 'slave pool' consisting of any workers/population/military units you have enslaved.
It would be possible to move these workers and slaves, but via 'vectoring'. i.e. you would vector them to a central 'worker pool' (based in your capital), and from there you could vector them to any city that needs them. Of course, in order for this to happen, all of the cities in question would need to be linked up via the trade network.
Second point is that I do agree that there should be a mobile 'worker-type' unit, called a combat engineer, who can build forts, outposts and even roads and rails. This would basically be an infantry unit with selected 'terraforming' abilities.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

As verowin says: "A worker can become a soldier. He needs to go to a barrack and be trained. A soldier can become a worker. You can change those useless warriors (you still have laying around in the Middle Ages) to workers, if you do not have the money to upgrade them."

Divide workers into groups seems to me too complicated, but I agree with conversion worker-soldier. We would have something to do with these warriors instead of disband them. And we can create simple military units if we need to.

Top Bottom