Working an issue with v1.29 Spain interface

cracker

Gil Favor's Sidekick
We are currently working on a diplomatic interface issue that somehow relates to diplomatic interface with the Spanish Civ that has been added to the v1.29 version of the Gotm21 game.

We will have a quick solution shortly as soon as we figure out the specific file that may need repaired in the setup files for the v1.29 version.

Be patient and the problem will be resolved quickly.

We are continuing to track this issue but we need to try and separate two possible activitities.

Players who installed the Gotm21_add_on game pack for v1.29 are depending on the hope that they followed previous instructions to set up Gotm20 properly.

In the Gotm20-Spain setup we asked you to manually go to your

C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Art\Flics

folder and locate a file called "spain.flc" this file contains the static leaderhead coat of arms for the Spain that would appear in the diplomacy dialogue screen when you actually talk to or negotiate with the leader.

The manual instructions asked you to manually make 7 copies of the "spain.flc" file and to rename the copies to be: spain1.flc, spain2.flc etc.

When you were done with that copy you should have 8 total files with some permutation of the "spain.flc" name.

"spain.flc" and "spain1.flc" work for the ancient age
"spain2.flc" and "spain3.flc" work for the middle ages
etc.

If you game crashes to black somewhere that you may think is related to diplomacy, first check to see if you followed these instruction a month ago to make sure your setup is complete.

The auto installer for the full gotm21 setup file took care of the manual copy and rename process for you automatically.

Originally posted by cracker
The auto installer for the full gotm21 setup file took care of the manual copy and rename process for you automatically.
.... for Windows only.

I read this that, as long as Mac users have eight files: Spain.flc plus Spain1.flc, Spain2.flc .... Spain7.flc, all identical except for their names, in the folder Civilization III/Art/Flics/, then we should be good to go? Note that Civilization III is the folder that our CivIII application file lives in.

That's the way my Mac game was set up in June and I had no crashes in Diplomacy through to the modern age during GOTM20.

I am still having problems with this diplomacy interface. This is my first GOTM in several months (since Russia) so I downloaded the entire upgrade for GOTM 21 for Civ 3 v.1.29 for PC. Everytime I try to contact the Spainish, the games shuts down. I have all of spain.flc files so I don't think that is problem.

Help :-(
Pro

I haven't had a problem with mine (civ 1.29). I installed last months GOTM properly and I only used the update installer for this month. I don't think there is a problem with it.

I'm having exactly the same problem as FuturePro. I downloaded and installed the entire upgrade; everything goes well untill I try to contact the Spanish (or they try to contact me), then the game crashes.
What should I do ?

Well, i'm stuck at 875AD. I sent cracker a PM 3 days ago with no response yet. If it's ok with the mods, can i post my savegame up to see if it's something wrong with the file?

Having a similar crash problem at 930AD, I found a workaround was to break the peace treaty with the civ that was causing the crash and declare war. Doing that allowed me to keep playing the game (Of course I now was at war when I didn't want to be:mad: Let me know if this works for you as well.

i am having similar problems as well. i have just come into contact with the Spanish and my game crashes everytime i try to go to the diplo screen. this is my first attempt at a GOTM (actually my very first post here at all) so i used the full install option. i have checked my flic folder and it has a "spain.flc" file and 7 folders named "spain1.flc", "spain2.flc" thru "spain7.flc" respectively, with each containing a single file also name "spain.flc". is this what we are supposed to have?

i think they were just supposed to be copies of the "spain.flc" file named "spain1.flc", "spain2.flc"...etc.

correction to above post: it's 875 BC that i'm stuck at, not AD. i hope someone can help me figure this out soon, i followed the instructions exactly and i'm still getting crashes.

Qwertysoft,

As I indicated to you in two seperate PMs the problem with your game in 875bc has nothing to do with this issue of the spain diplomatic interface.

We continue to investigate what could be causing the problem and as I indicated to you in the Private Message you game hase severe player induced problems that may be well beyond fatal even if we can get the source of the crash figured out.

Again I provided this information to you privately and asked you not to muddy up the other technical issues here with the specifics of your game that has some very, very unfortunate things going on inside.

I too am having problems. Civ3 1.29f first GoTM download. I have tried reinstalling the download a couple of times to no avail. I get booted every time spain attempts to contact me and I also seem to be having a lockup problem that may be due to spanish units appearing on my screen for the first time. I circumvented the former for a while by simply refusing to trade for contact with the spaniards but now I am hung completely.

I also tried downloading and installing GOTM20 to see if that helped, but I cannot open the zip file for that one. I may try to get PTW to see if that helps.

I found that the setup.exe install pack for this GOTM did not handle the spain.flc files properly, and was causing the crash that some have referred to.

The setup.exe had created a series of subdirectories in the civ \art\flics directory, with the directories called spain.flc, spain1.flc etc. In each of these directories was a spain.flc file.

Not sure how this happened, but I moved those files to the main art\flics directory, and ensured that I had a set of eight .flc files, outlined by Cracker in his note near the top of this thread. Solved the problems for me. :)

Well, I did what Ainwood said (was having probs before because the existence of the directories would not let me rename the files to those names.) and that fixed the the spain diplomacy issue. Thanks for the tip! :).

I still am getting the eternal hourglass lockup at 380 A.D. though, which apparently is independent of the spain problems. Any ideas?

Juventus,

The best approach on these technical issues is to contact me by email at gotm@civfanatics.net include a save file and description of the version of the game and software.

It is almost impossible to resolve these question issues in the public discussion threads without creating unwarranted spoiler issues.

We are tracking some sort of game freeze problem that I have identified as real but cannot yet replicate it in normal play. So far the freeze only effects games in Civ3v1.29 that are played down at a very low success level that may be causing the AI hatred and attitude registers to go into overload. In several cases these games that are freezing up are played with perhaps 3 or 4 towns and may be 8 to 10 techs behind the AI civs when typical players in the GOTM games are no where near this status in the games.

Again the best approach is to contact someone by email as you were requested to do in the game setup instructions on every game announcement page.

cracker

Top Bottom