Workshop growth idea

Bezurn

Prince
I had an idea about workshops and how to improve them in the early game without having to rely on civics or more advanced technology. So I went ahead and dug through the XML files to give workshops growth potential much like cottages.

The order for them goes
Workshop -1f +1h Growth in 15 turns
Smithery -1f +2h Growth in 60 turns
Foundry -1f +3h

Then with guilds and Chemistry I gave them the following bonuses
Guilds
  • Workshop +1h
  • Smithery +1h
  • Foundry +2c
Chemistry
  • Workshop +1h
  • Smithery +1h
  • Foundry +1h
I also gave them the robotics bonus, but I may remove the hammer bonus since you can increase their hammer output the longer you work them. The commerce bonus could stay though I suppose, since cottages > towns have increased benefits at this stage of the tech tree too.

I still need to hunt down the Caste bonus, that's probably not too hard to modify.

I may enable a tech to make them accelerate the growth rate by 25 or 50%. Hammers are a bit more powerful than commerce though so I think I'll wait and play a few dozen test games making more extensive use of workshops to see if they're overpowered now. (I rarely run state property as I like corporations).

One question I had though was where do I put find the civlopedia and mouse over text descriptions for these improvements? I've done a few searches in the Assets\XML\Text folder, but there are a lot of files to go through and I'm not sure which one to look at. There are no Civ4Improvments file sadly, so I'm not sure where to put the info.

Here's the bit I have in the XML file, I copied the same format that was used for Workshops, but maybe I don't need to? When I mouse over a workshop I see the Turns into a TXT_KEY_IMPROVMENT_SMITHERY in X turns" Just want it to say Smithery ><
Code:
Type>IMPROVEMENT_SMITHERY</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_IMPROVEMENT_SMITHERY</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_IMPROVEMENT_SMITHERY_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_WORKSHOP</ArtDefineTag>

<Type>IMPROVEMENT_FOUNDRY</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_IMPROVEMENT_FOUNDRY</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_IMPROVEMENT_FOUNDRY_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_WORKSHOP</ArtDefineTag>

If I can figure this little snag out then I'll probably run a few dozen test games and then try doing a growth model for watermills and windmills.

edit: attached my the xml file I modified if that will assist me in getting some help

Attachments

• CIV4ImprovementInfos.txt
    69.1 KB · Views: 198
Nevermind about the help I asked for, found it this morning. Also meant to post this in the general C&C forums, not here, woops. I was tired sorry!

Top Bottom