1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Workshops! Uh, good gawd yall!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Woebearer, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Woebearer

Woebearer Warlord

What are they good for? Absolutly nothing.

Does anyone use them? Considering how carefully the other improvements were designed, I can't imagine why they deemed it necessary to attach the -1 food rider. If you have excess food you are probably better off with whipping, and if you had put cottages on there instead you'd have enough cash now to rush your productions.

The only real reason I see to use them is to convert a city into a SS factory in the late game (since these cannot be rushed).

Was the covering of terrian with mines considered exploitive in the previous Civs?

2. HankSSSI

HankSSSI Chieftain

I rarely use them, but sometimes I feel they can be good temporary hammer additions in areas that are woefully lacking in them. Especially cities that can't use all of their tiles. I'm a huge fan of State Property, so later on I can get the +1 food back on all my workshops. Universal Suffrage gives all your towns a +1 hammer though, so it seems in the long-term better to invest in a cottage than a workshop.

3. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

What is actually a bit unbalanced is the cost of rushing stuff. Especially with the Kremlin wonder, rushing things becomes much too cheap.

With state property, workshops are a reasonable tile improvement. Especially if you need to use the Police State civic in stead of the Universal Suffrage civic in order to combat massive war weariness.

4. Yzen Danek

Yzen Danek Warlord

I think workshops aren't meant to be used in huge numbers; they're just a really useful improvement to use sparingly. If you have a great spot for a coastal or jungle city with no use of hills, but tons of food resources, workshops are the only way you're going to make viable cities out of them.

Universal Suffrage doesn't come into play until late in the game if you miss out on the Pyramids, and even if you get the Pyramids, Representation is really a much, much more useful early civic in most cases. Better to build a couple of workshops, save yourself the expenditures and keep running those extra beakers from Representation.

5. punchandpie

punchandpie Warlord

I use workshops on tiles that have no food on them and seem to have some success with them. but maybe I am wrong in my use of them on non food tiles?

6. walkerjks

walkerjks King

I will echo the thoughts that they are pretty good with the state property civic.

There's no reason, in my mind, to build any pre-Communism. But post-Communism? If a city isn't generating a significant amount of science or gold, I have no problem plowing cottages under and replacing them with workshops. It's food neutral, and you can turn a medicore generalist city into a high production city pretty quickly.

7. Rane Khan

Rane Khan Chieftain

In a no production city that is there to bring in money they can be useful to build some improvements (banks...) before you get the rush buy option. I don't use them much for anything else.

8. Qitai

Qitai .

Not my favorite. But at least it is there when I need it.

9. gunkulator

gunkulator Emperor

Given that food is a very limiting factor in the early to mid game, building an improvement that takes away food for all of +1 hammers is kinda pointless.

10. Freddybear

Freddybear Chieftain

Once you get Guilds and Chemistry, a workshop is equal to a mined hill.

11. Artanis

Artanis King

If one of my Production cities has enough food to work all the Mines and Watermills I can stuff into its surrounding Terrain and still have a food surplus, I start dumping Workshops around it :D

And like Rane Khan said, they're also useful for getting some sort of production into a city that would otherwise take literally half the game to build a Bank.

12. mossmonster

mossmonster Consider, if you will...

Rarely, but sometimes, you do end up with the odd city that has tons of food output tiles, but very little in the way of hammers. The workshop is useful in this situation as giving up one of your abundant foods for some hammers can get your slow moving building list finally making progress at a resonable rate.

13. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

But then, the mined hill has +1 with railroads...

14. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Slavery seems better.

15. mossmonster

mossmonster Consider, if you will...

It's not a 'better' situation as the two items are different. Slavery can help. But it is really a civic best suited to early-game and can only be used so much until the cities unhappiness stops everything. Workshops also have their place and last all game long. The two used together as production boosters would yield the best results.

16. bonscott

bonscott Prince

Sure, but if you have no hills...

17. lawren65

lawren65 Chieftain

I've used the ocasional workshop for fine tuning. If there arn't enough hills near a city, why make it a production city. But in the late game once I get biology I've converted a few farms to workshops in my production cities

18. Artanis

Artanis King

Edit: Gah, completely misread the post I was replying to :(

19. Kilroy

Kilroy Bitter.

You'd run slavery far longer than appropriate and stunt the growth of your empire, all to aid development in a single city?

20. Willburn

Willburn Warlord

I would think where hapiness is a limiting factor and a high food city you would actually be glad to workshop high food tiles. Maybe great plaines could either make a great production square also, instead of the normal cottage spread. Ofocurse you could just go slavery and use the food for hammers...