World 1000BC - The Clash of Empires

Genghis_Kai

GEM modder
World 1000BC - The Clash of Empires v1.0

The time is 1000 BC.The inexorable rivalries between the cities and states of the Old World and incursions by nomadic tribes created a shifting pattern of allegiance and control in different parts of the world. In west Asia, the Assyrians is contenting with the Babylons to become the world's first large empire; In Africa The Cush is extending its power northwards causing wars with the Egyptians; In Europe, the Greek has started its migration to Asia minor; In east Asia, the Zhou and Shang are about to begin a great battle at Mu Ye. In south asia, the indus valley culture disappeared but the era of Vedas in the Ganges Valley replaced. In Americas, the first major cnetres, the Chavin in Peru and the Olmec in Central America have developed in isolation. The iron revolution has been started in many places in the world which will become the major material of weapons and tools in this age.

Game info:
There are 11 civilizations in this scenario.

Egyptian Kingdom (Egypt) - 3 cities - AT WAR with Cush
Vedas Kingdom (India) - 3 cities
Shang Dynasty (China) - 3 cities - AT WAR with Zhou
Athenian Kindgom (Greece) - 3 cities
Israel Kingdom (Rome) - 2 cities
Assyrian Empire (Persia) - 3 cities - AT WAR with Babylon
Zhou Dynasty (Mongols) - 2 cities - AT WAR with Shang
Babylon Empire (Arabia) - 3 cities - AT WAR with Assyrian
Cush Kingdom (Mali) - 3 cities - AT WAR with Egyptian
Chavin Kingdom (Inca) - 1 city
Olmecs Kingdom (Aztecs) - 1 city

And some barbarian cities (Raging barbarians! You have been WARNED).

Update log:
v1.0 Scenario rebuilt. Fixed the known bugs. Some changes for better game balance.

v0.5 Scenario released. There are some known bugs, but it would not affect game play. Not many tests have been done so the game balance is unknown.

Map:
This scenario is based on a modified version of Rhye's world map (huge).

Historical References:
Andrew Heritage (Editor in chief) 1999. "Atlas of World History", Dorling Kindersley Cartography.
Tan Qixiang (Chief Editor) 1982. "Historical Atlas of China", China Cartographic Publishing House. [Chinese]
Wikipedia

Game Editor used to build this scenario:
In game World Builder
Civ4Editor by kswoll

To play (for newbies):
No mods have been used in this scenario. So to play it, simply download the zip file, unzip it and place the file in "Civ4\Public Maps" folder. Start the game, you should be able to see "World 1000BC - The Clash of Empires v1.0" in the scenario game menu.

Attachments

• World_1000BC_The_clash_of_empires_0_3a.JPG
    World_1000BC_The_clash_of_empires_0_3a.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 3,636
  • World_1000BC_The_clash_of_empires_0_3b.JPG
    World_1000BC_The_clash_of_empires_0_3b.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 2,325
  • World_1000BC_The_clash_of_empires_0_3c.JPG
    World_1000BC_The_clash_of_empires_0_3c.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 2,084
  • World_1000BC_The_clash_of_empires_v1.0.zip
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,487
The names for some leaders and civs are still not correct in v0.5. However, I have problems with loading this scenario in Civ4Editor (by kswoll) and so I can no longer change the leaders name and civs names.

If anyone knows any other way to change them, please let me know.

Other than that, any suggestions on city placement, units, technology (things that can be change in World Builder) are welcome.

can you set unreazable cities ???

he means can you make it so cities can't be raized.

This is a really, really, really good mod. I played as Israel and Greek City States and enjoyed it a lot. Two things though...and this is only based on how I played.

1) I think that Jerusalem needs another Fish closer to it or something, I couldn't manage to get it to grow past 2 without screwing over another city.

2) Greek City States get hit hard by barbarians, even on lower difficulities. Really hard. I spent most of my time just fortifying and trying to hold onto resources from being pillaged.

leathlaobhair said:
This is a really, really, really good mod. I played as Israel and Greek City States and enjoyed it a lot. Two things though...and this is only based on how I played.

1) I think that Jerusalem needs another Fish closer to it or something, I couldn't manage to get it to grow past 2 without screwing over another city.

2) Greek City States get hit hard by barbarians, even on lower difficulities. Really hard. I spent most of my time just fortifying and trying to hold onto resources from being pillaged.

about Jerusalem. Yes, I agree. I may add some more resource for Isreal in the later version.

About the barbarians. This is quite what I wanted it to be ;) As I said in the 2000BC scenario, the trick is to defend your cities regardless of the resources being razed at the start.

Actually, I've been busy in quite a lot of other things in my life lately :sad: What I am planning hoping to do in next coming month is to first fix this bugs I've mentioned in my first post, and then continue building the 500BC scenario. I've started selecting the civs and city placement for that already.

Hi guys. After this long, I finally got a chance to rebuilt this scenario. v1.0 fixed all the known bugs. Hope you will enjoy!

Now I am start planning to build the next scenario 500BC - The Persian Age.

I would just like to say this is one of the best scenarios I have played how about adding the ainu Japanese?:goodjob:

Wei-Yan said:
I would just like to say this is one of the best scenarios I have played how about adding the ainu Japanese?:goodjob:

Hi Wei-Yan, thanks.

You raised an interesting question here: When should Japanese be included as a civ in this historical series?

My initial biased guess is - No earlier than 500BC.
Rice cultivation speaded to Japan in around 500BC, bronze usage also started around this time.

I used another condition to pick the civs in this series - whether the civ has emerged as an organized government. If there weren't, I would put it as a barbarian city.

So I decided not to include Japanese in this 1000BC scenario. I will think about whether it should be included in the 500BC scenario. But I am always here for corrections if you can show me some evidence:)

I am posting here for your contribution to the scenario that I am building: World 500BC - The Persian Age. Advises, comments and critics are all welcome!

There are 14 civs selected at the moment. These civs are selected from 5 regions of the world.

West Mediterranean/Europe:
Carthagian Empire - Hamilcar
Etruscan League - Lars Porsena
Roman Republic - Lucius Junius Brutus

East Mediterranean/Africa:
Athenian Empire - Pericles
Persian Empire - Darius
Cush Kingdom - Aspelta

East Asia:
Qi Dukedom - Jiang Xiaobai
Jin Dukedom - Ji Zhonger
Chu Kingdom - Mi Lu

South Asia:
Magadhan Kingdom - Bimbisara
Kosala Kingdom - Prasenjit
Avanti Kingdom - Nandivardhana

America:
Chavin Kingdom - King of Chavin
Olmecs Kingdom - King of Olmecs

Civs that are under considerations:
Macedonian Empire (East Mediterranean) - Alexander
Yuezhi Kingdom (Central Asia) - King of Yuezhi
Median Empire (Central Asia) - Astyages
Adena Kingdom (America) - King of Adena
Yamato state (East Asia) - King of Yamato

Macedonian Empire is not included mainly due to the difficulty of limited space. As Persian would be a huge empire in this scenario, having Greece and Macedonia as seperate civs would make it near impossible to repeat the history: Macedonia/Greece Conquered Persia!

I will probably open this for about a week until I finalise it.

Genghis_Kai said:
Hi Wei-Yan, thanks.

You raised an interesting question here: When should Japanese be included as a civ in this historical series?

My initial biased guess is - No earlier than 500BC.
Rice cultivation speaded to Japan in around 500BC, bronze usage also started around this time.

I used another condition to pick the civs in this series - whether the civ has emerged as an organized government. If there weren't, I would put it as a barbarian city.

So I decided not to include Japanese in this 1000BC scenario. I will think about whether it should be included in the 500BC scenario. But I am always here for corrections if you can show me some evidence:)

no youre right i got some dates mixed up:crazyeye: true Japanese culture didnt start until 300BC

I don't know if you could do this Genghis Kai, but is it possible to make it so cities can't be built on desert. These cities just cluter the game. It also isn't realistic. Cities were built by souces of water. This would made history play out more accuratly. Also, Civs in the mid-east wouldn't expand like crazy.

I noticed that the Zhou Chinese have an axeman that is incredibly stong. With the new patch it is even stronger. I had at least 8 promotions for the unit by only my 8th turn. The Zhou seem a little too strong. I overtook the Shang Chinese in a matter of a couple of turns.

Justinian519 said:
I noticed that the Zhou Chinese have an axeman that is incredibly stong. With the new patch it is even stronger. I had at least 8 promotions for the unit by only my 8th turn. The Zhou seem a little too strong. I overtook the Shang Chinese in a matter of a couple of turns.

Hi Justinian,

Yeah I gave that super axeman to zhou because I want zhou to have a smaller but stronger army than shang, which matches the historical setting. I used this trick for my other scenarios too.

But you might be right, that hero is a bit too strong. What would you suggest to be the better balance?

About your previous post, i don't know how to disable building cities on desert. In civ3 it is easy but i don't know how in civ4.

Maybe a strong chariot with 3 promotions in the beginning and one less spearman. Also, maybe give the Shang a spearman or two. I don't want the Shang and Zhou to be too even for the Zhou ended up taking over the Shang in history. With the spearman the Shang would have a chance against the chariot. Tell me what you think. You could do something else if you wanted too.

Nebuchadnezzar is spelled wrong. Also in the Pacific by the Philippines there is a banana in the ocean on the coast. I am playing an amazing game at noble level with the Shang Chinese. I was down to one city and then the Zhou signed a peace treaty. I then settled Japan with one city. My capital revolted to the Zhou. I started settling in the areas of Japan. Because of this I when to the bottom of the score. I am finally in catching up in the techs in the mid 1900's. I am rich because of my trading of resources though. Great scenario, though!!! The balance is pretty good. For a challenge there is the Shang and American Civs.
P.S. Zhou become the top Civ easily in the scenario. They don't have any threat to them after the Shang.

Justinian519 said:
Nebuchadnezzar is spelled wrong. Also in the Pacific by the Philippines there is a banana in the ocean on the coast. I am playing an amazing game at noble level with the Shang Chinese. I was down to one city and then the Zhou signed a peace treaty. I then settled Japan with one city. My capital revolted to the Zhou. I started settling in the areas of Japan. Because of this I when to the bottom of the score. I am finally in catching up in the techs in the mid 1900's. I am rich because of my trading of resources though. Great scenario, though!!! The balance is pretty good. For a challenge there is the Shang and American Civs.
P.S. Zhou become the top Civ easily in the scenario. They don't have any threat to them after the Shang.

Ok will fix those issues. thanks.

I never tried using Shang, didn't realise it is that difficult. But sounds like it is an interesting game you had.

Top Bottom