World 500BC - The Persian Age

Genghis_Kai

GEM modder
World 500BC - The Persian Age v1.3

Babylonian rule in Mesopotamia was ended by the Persian in 539BC. Besides Babylonian, The Persian Empire annexed Medes, Lydians, Egyptians and the nomadic tribes in the central Asia. Darius, the ruler of Persian Empire, is now turning his attention to the Greece and Macedon. Can the Greek and Macedonian able to survive from the Persian invasion? or maybe even invade Persia? Roman republic was founded in 509BC. Can the newly founded republic able to stand under the threat of the Etruscan in the north and Greek in the south? In the east, the spring and autumn period has been started since 772BC. As one of the hegemons, your goal is to unify the 'civilized' states. Buddhism is spreading in the Kuru dynasties in India. Will Buddhism or Hinduism win the 'religious' war and becoming the dominating religion in the area or even in the world? Chavin and Olmecs still enjoy their isolation in America. However, more barbarians are becoming their 'neighbours' now. Regardless of which civilization you use, the strategy is to become the dominating power in the region and then the next step is to compete with other dominating powers in the rest of the world!

Game info:
There are 16 civilizations in this scenario.

West Mediterranean/Europe:
Carthaginian Empire - Hamilcar - 6 cities
Etruscan League - Lars Porsena - 1 city
Roman Republic - Lucius Junius Brutus - 1 city

East Mediterranean/Africa:
Athenian Empire - Pericles - 6 cities
Macedonian Empire - Alexander - 2 cities
Persian Empire - Darius - 17 cities
Cush Kingdom - Aspelta - 4 cities

East Asia:
Qi Dukedom - Jiang Xiaobai - 2 cities
Jin Dukedom - Ji Zhonger - 2 cities
Chu Kingdom - Mi Lu - 3 cities
Yuezhi Kingdom (Central Asia) - King of Yuezhi - 1 city

South Asia:
Magadhan Kingdom - Bimbisara - 2 cities
Kosala Kingdom - Prasenjit - 2 cities
Avanti Kingdom - Nandivardhana - 2 cities

America:
Chavin Kingdom - King of Chavin - 1 city
Olmecs Kingdom - King of Olmecs - 1 city

And some barbarian cities (Raging barbarians! You have been WARNED).

Update log:
v1.3 Added more celtic (barberian) cities. Added more units to chinese and indian civs. Some minor bugs fixed (including the banana in philippine sea :p ).
v1.2 Byzantium given to Macedon, Pundra correctly named and some other fixes.
v1.1 For game balance, Macedon's power is increased and Persian's power is dereased. Wonder locations are corrected.
v1.0 Scenario released. No known bugs. However, game balance haven't been tested.

Map:
This scenario is based on a modified version of Rhye's world map (huge).

Historical References:
Andrew Heritage (Editor in chief) 1999. "Atlas of World History", Dorling Kindersley Cartography.
Tan Qixiang (Chief Editor) 1982. "Historical Atlas of China", China Cartographic Publishing House. [Chinese]
Wikipedia

Game Editor used to build this scenario:
In game World Builder
Civ4Editor by kswoll

Other games in this series:
2000BC - The first cities http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=149317
1000BC - The clash of Empires http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=153848

To play (for newbies):
No mods have been used in this scenario. So to play it, simply download the zip file, unzip it and place the file in "Civ4\Public Maps"
folder. Start the game, you should be able to see "World 500BC v1.3" in the scenario game menu.

The game file:

Attachments

• World500BC_v1.3.zip
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,105
New screenshots for v1.3

Enjoy!

Attachments

• 500BC_America.JPG
    500BC_America.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,734
  • 500BC_EastAsia.JPG
    500BC_EastAsia.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,189
  • 500BC_SouthAsia.JPG
    500BC_SouthAsia.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 905
  • 500BC_Mediterranean.JPG
    500BC_Mediterranean.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,365
  • 500BC_Persian.JPG
    500BC_Persian.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 1,148
Head Serf said:
Woo hoo! I can't wait to play! I unfortuanately missed the 1000 bc, but I think I'll play this one! This looks like it would be wayyyy to easy with the Persians.

Yes. The game is definitely not fair ;)

I tried to use Macedon tonight. It is really too difficult. I couldn't get a second city (Besides Byzantium) away from Persian. So I decided to make an update giving two more Phalanx to Macedon and reduces the number of archers in Persia (so that Macedon can enjoy more of its Phalanx advantage vs Perisan's mounted units.)

It is still a mission impossible for Macedon to completely takeover Persia, but that is what making it fun!

How difficult it is for Persia to take over Macedonia? :king:

Why are Byzantium and Sinope Persian? From what I recall (from reading the Anabasis) they were very firmly Hellene, and this is a bit after 500BC.

Another question is what are the Scythians doing in Bangladesh?

Pegasos said:
How difficult it is for Persia to take over Macedonia? :king:

Not so difficult I guess ;)

By the way, has anyone tried using Macedon? The best that I could do was grabbing 3 cities from Persian.

Hans Lemurson said:
Why are Byzantium and Sinope Persian? From what I recall (from reading the Anabasis) they were very firmly Hellene, and this is a bit after 500BC.

Another question is what are the Scythians doing in Bangladesh?

Hi. You are quite correct. I think Byzantium should still under Greece control. I will give it to Macedon when I do another bug fix. Sinope however, is already under Persians control in 500BC I think.

For Scythians, it is a bug. Thanks for spotting that. It should be Pundra but I forgot to rename it after placing the city.

Just tried out the new version as the Athenians. I was able to quickly grab 3 Persian cities with only 5 phalanxes because their only defenses were immortals and horse archers, units with a huge disadvantage to the phalanxes that have a power 11 (Base 5 x 2 because of mounted, x 1.1 because of free Combat 1 promotion). I would advise giving each Persian city another archer to keep them from shrinking quickly early on. The archers would still have a rough time, but they would only be like 3.75 vs 5.5 as opposed to 4 vs 11.

Head Serf said:
Just tried out the new version as the Athenians. I was able to quickly grab 3 Persian cities with only 5 phalanxes because their only defenses were immortals and horse archers, units with a huge disadvantage to the phalanxes that have a power 11 (Base 5 x 2 because of mounted, x 1.1 because of free Combat 1 promotion). I would advise giving each Persian city another archer to keep them from shrinking quickly early on. The archers would still have a rough time, but they would only be like 3.75 vs 5.5 as opposed to 4 vs 11.

Thats actually what I had in 1.0 version. But after I tried playing, what happen is, before I get pass minor asia, Persian already can upgrade his archer to longbowman! My phalanx becomes useless infront of these longbowman. Thats why I made such change.

I mean, we have to give some chances for the history to repeat:rolleyes:

Really liked this. Any chance for the series to continue?

das said:
Really liked this. Any chance for the series to continue?

Thanks, it is really an encouragement from someone having 10000 posts in this forum already! :D

I am considering the next scenario will be 220BC. Background will be the second punic war in Europe, Qin Dynasty in China, Mauryan dynasty in India and Seleucid Empire in Persia. Xiong-Nu, Bactria and probably celts will appear, which will add more divisity in the game.

But I probably won't start building this within the next few weeks. Not much free time for games lately :(

I will give it a try !

I can't wait when you will be arribed in 2000 AD :)

Little feedback ! :goodjob:

I played Carthaginians !

But barbarians are too weak

Lachlan said:
Little feedback ! :goodjob:

I played Carthaginians !

But barbarians are too weak

You are quite right. I think I should probably add more stronger barbarians from africa, since the berbers states and numidian were arising in there which was a big threat to the carthagian.

thanks.

:( But others Barbarians in Eurasia are too weak too !

They do defect rather easily...

das said:
They do defect rather easily...

ok. I have a look and see if I shall add more. I did a bit research on Celtic people and I realise they are there very early in time, something like 1000BC. However, I am not sure when did they start forming a centralised government and how strong their armies were.

I can't remember how many barbarian i put in there really. Will have to check.

Played as the Magadhan. Access to Iron has allowed me to walk over my rivals in South Asia. Ealy Spearmen and Swordmen keep the Prasenjit at bay. A quick sprint to Construction (catapults), and they are toast. :)

I am not given the option to Raze cities I have captured. Is that intentional?

Slight map issue: There is a banana resource on a coastal tile near the island representing the Phillipines.

P.S. excellent work, btw. ^^

Top Bottom