World Age advanced setting?

jarekb84

Chieftain
I found this pre-release thread asking what the world age setting actually did, but it didn't have a conclusive answer.

So can anyone answer what affect the various ages have on the game?

Bump, because I would also like to know. I've been all over Google and the civ5 official forums looking for an answer to this...

Its basically the same effect as it had in Civ IV...affect the "hilliness" of the game.

Yes, I have read other posts of this nature, coming to this consensus. It is the "plate tectonic" and erosion thing, like less mountains in older world, maybe all larger mountainous areas grouped together, not sure. But the jungle, forest, and plains areas are controlled by the climate, a different control; so they are prob not affected much by "world age." Maybe rocky non-farm-able areas in young worlds??? I will test in future games, I haven't played a game in young world yet.

Ref: Gamespot: What does temperature, rainfall and world age do?

Oh, it looks like this guy nailed it:

Civilization Fanatics' Forums: Advanced Map Options, what do they do? - Post #3

Smips post

A technical reply:

World Age affects plot types: flat land, hills, mountains. Older world = flatter world.

Temperature affects terrain types: grass, plains, desert, tundra, snow. Hotter = more desert less tundra.

Rainfall affects feature types: forest, jungle, marsh, oasis, etc. More rain = more foliage.

Sea Level affects percentage of the world that is land vs sea. Higher sea levels = less dry land.

Resources affects resource quantity: for military resources, this affects the number of units per tile; for economic resources, this affects total number of resource tiles in play (and in some cases, at start locations).

- Sirian

(same thread)

Top Bottom