1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

World builder Question

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Karnewarrior, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Karnewarrior

Karnewarrior Chieftain

When I use world builder I can save properly, but after I get inside the game it freezes when I try to load my world. I don't know why it does this, but I went on a fact-finding mission and came up with these:

1: A tiny map I made seems to work, but only in the vanilla game
    2: My huge maps don't load EVER.
    3: Trying to play with mods results in immediate freezing, regardless of map.

:confused:
    Have you guys had any problems with Mods and Worldbuilder? I tried reinstalling, deleting, turning everything but "Historic speed" off...

2. Locutus

Locutus King of the Collective

If large maps don't load for you, your PC may not have sufficient (video) memory. Civ5 maps take up quite a lot of memory, which is why Civ5 maps on the whole tend to be smaller than Civ4 ones. If you don't have enough RAM to load a particular map, your game will probably freeze or crash when you try anyway.

Whether a map works with a mod depends on what's on it. If you have civs, units, etc that are not in the mod, chances are it won't load. A bare map with just terrain and no units, cities, etc should load in most mods (as long as you didn't mod the terrain itself).

Although the game is usually pretty robust in just leaving out stuff it doesn't recognise, sometimes it's just damn stubborn. I've had it happen more than once that after changing a bunch of XML files, a map that worked before suddenly stops loading. I delete all units, cities, etc and the bare map works fine. Then I start adding stuff back in: first cities, then culture and LoS, then resources, then units, buildings, improvements, etc (testing frequently along the way). After I re-add everything, it all works just fine -- no clue what the old map stumbled over that's not in the new one. I've concluded that it's probably best to do the map last if you're working on a complex scenario with custom XML and map (too bad it's too late for that for all my current projects). Also, it's best to start with a bare terrain map and make sure that works first, before gradually adding other stuff.