1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

World Builders Anonymous

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by agoodfella, Aug 8, 2007.

1. agoodfella

agoodfella Chieftain

OK, so I'll be the first to admit that I go into World Builder to rectify certain "inequities".

It started very innocently at first, but now I find myself going into it more and more...

Do people NEVER use World Builder? I find it very difficult to resist.

2. frob2900

frob2900 Chieftain

Use the "Lock Modified Assets" switch. It will stop you from being tempted.

3. agoodfella

agoodfella Chieftain

where is this switch?

4. Pikkis

Pikkis Chieftain

It's an option in the custom game menu. Previously it was called "No Cheating".

5. Feet

Feet Chieftain

I've been known to go in and remove barbarians when it looked like they might do some damage that I can't cope with.

6. RedRalph

RedRalph Chieftain

Hmmm... Very, very occasinally, if an otherwise perfect set up is ruined by the lack of a resource, and only if said resource isnt possible to attain by warfare (like if not available on the continent, or so distant its just not possible to attain). But it is basically cheating, kind of defeats the purpose of the game

7. GenocideBringer

GenocideBringer Chieftain

Never, under any circumstances. If I lack a resource, then I find a way to make do without it.

8. Black_Waltz

Black_Waltz Chieftain

Never have. Never will. Part of the fun of the game in my opinion is dealing with unforseen events.

9. glosrob

glosrob Chieftain

I did in the other Civ's but I went 'cold turkey' for Civ 4. Definitely the best way :goodjob:

10. Chiyochan

Chiyochan Chieftain

usualy do it only to correct my building a city in the wrong place

11. jerVL/kg

jerVL/kg Sheep Nuker

Sometimes I'll add forests to empty tundra so they can be usefully worked, especially if the city needs an extra food point. Sometimes I also give in to the temptation to add deer & stuff to that ice city with silver, marble, oil & aluminum...but NO FOOD to work the tiles!!

However, I always wait until all map resources have been revealed naturally, to avoid "spoilers"; by then it's become a game of "pimp my civ" anyway. :cooool: Most of the time I find it fun & challenging to make cities work in hostile locations.

12. mnf

mnf Chieftain

I often go into WB to put back a mis-move. My computer gets sluggish after a few hours of play, and sometimes I miscount my moves and press the arrow keys one extra time. This key gets passed to the next unit in line to move and sometimes can be very annoying.

Like the almost dead CRII maceman with 10XP who's supposed to start healing but gets moved off into the open instead. :sad:

I then use WB to put it back where it was. :p

13. TopDog

TopDog Chieftain

I use it quite alot actually. I find its great for helping to move up a level of difficulty (i recently went from prince to monarch). I can easily win on prince but monarch is another big jump, so, by 'fixing' bad combat rolls or getting rid of dangerous barbs it makes the level transition easier.

Also ill sometimes use it near the end of the game if im bored to give warring sides 100 icbms each or to put fish resources everywhere so that coastal cities are all about 30-40 pop.

14. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

the only time i used it was when i made Superciv (civ-adding mod). I used it to compare the borders colors (ie: check if they don't blend)

But in a true game? no, i haven't

15. Thorn

Thorn Chieftain

Never! I don't even use the 'Regenerate Map' option if the starting position looks bad. Well, almost never...:mischief:

16. Spearthrower

Spearthrower Thrower of spears

I have this ungodly habit of meaning to raze cities and clicking the wrong option - subconsciously I think I just want them all - and in only those cases would I go in and delete the city, replacing it with a ruins as if it had happened properly. I also resist the temptation to look at the mini-map... i even have a perfect shaped piece of card next to my keyboard for just such a moment! ;)

17. Mantees

Mantees Chieftain

I never use the world builder, and I NEVER load a previous savegame even if I do something completely stupid. I prefer restarting to cheating ;)

18. Littlelisa

Littlelisa Chieftain

I used to always go into it and look to see if the map was fun

But my latest game ive managed to not give into temptation :)

Also used world builder allot when using Realism mod, because it had annoying bug where you couldnt raze most barbarian cities, so you had to either keep the really badly placed 1 population cities or world builder delete them.

19. TylerD

TylerD Chieftain

I've never even looked at WorldBuilder.

20. phungus420

phungus420 Chieftain

Depends on what you are doing. Sometimes you're messing around, and watching how the AI interacts with mods. Then WB is all about it. Sometimes you want a challenging game you don't expect to win, then never.