1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

World Builders Anonymous

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by agoodfella, Aug 8, 2007.

1. sabo

sabo My Ancestors were Vikings

I opened it once, gave myself a bunch of gold during a game I didn't care about anymore, but haven't touched it since

2. Kark

Kark Mad berserker

It was kind of fun placing a modern armor unit and a stealth fighter in my starting city, but it soon got boring. I sometimes use the saved games when I have made a silly mistake (like a scout moving two steps in one leap and missing a goody hut, but I prefer playing slow and not cheating). I also sometimes use the saved games as a learning process, trying out different ways to play a situation. But never more the WorldBuilder.

3. Eshnunna

Eshnunna Chieftain

I usually run a few "games" and open it with WorldBuilder when I'm exploring new mapscripts settings, to see what it's like, or when i'm dropping a game.

Tis also fun to monitor a bit AI early developpement, or barb activity, but again not on a game I intend to play.

The only time I cheated was when I had a desert river tile (but not a flood plain... bug?) in an already food-poor crowded start, sinc it screwed up my dotmap.

4. MisterBarca

MisterBarca Chieftain

I had the same problem with the OP. So I use the "Lock Modified Assets" option every time now.

It gets frustrating at times when you make a stupid mistake and want to correct it, but it makes a better game overall.

5. MisterBarca

MisterBarca Chieftain

You are not "moving up," if you are cheating. Period.

6. gregh87

gregh87 Chieftain

I played a game where I gave myself every resource, and then put Iron, gold, pigs, and fish for every square, and then covered all my AI's with jungle. It was pointless but fun; I had a city on an island with nothing but fish resources in every square and built the Globe Theater in it. It got obscenely large and I ran over 20 artists in it; I was going to win a culture victory in about 1400, but I got bored because it was pointless.

7. eewallace

eewallace Chieftain

I've used it to customize random maps, but unless you want a boring game in which you are guaranteed a win, you need to customize so that the various civs have roughly equal resources, and then you have to randomize which starting position you will play. Even then, you play the map with an advantage because you know, roughly, where your opponents are.

(The main reason I like to do this is because I just HATE big ugly deserts! I don't even want to start a game if I see one anywhere near my beginning location. I don't mind jungles, I can live with mountains, I can even live with tundra, but desert...no way!)

8. axident

axident Chieftain

I use WB for one particular instance: I need to erase "my" roads and by "my" roads I mean the roads around a captured city in the tundra that I want to make my Natl Park city. I try to pillage all the crap ASAP after capturing the city, but sometimes I just can't do it fast enough with the surviving units, and I'm left with some stupid roads or even mines that I need to clear in order to let forest grow back. You should be able to pillage even road "improvements" on your territory, imho.

9. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Superciv? Link.

And I use it to make life harsh for myself (adding barbs for me and bots)... Or to make myself a vassal when I should be able to.

When I play world maps, I find the starting positions placed wrong. Usually, I overcrowd a non-European area and removes some resources in Europe to make a 'what-if'.

And it never hurts to return a defeated civ (like in an alternate Rhye's and Fall).

I usually play on noble and win easy, so I use the worldbuilder to thighten things a little.

10. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I don't use WorldBuilder to change the game much, but now and then, after say a random event announces that a horde of barbarian horse archers has risen up near my borders, I'll go into WB and delete the barbarians. :) If I have the troops to take care of them, then I'd prefer to do that... but I've had this random event happen to me before I had connected copper, so I was pretty much doomed. Somehow deleting barbarian troops doesn't feel like cheating to me, but touching the AI troops are forbidden to me. Not sure why. :)

11. Landstander

Landstander Chieftain

There's a purpose? I just like to build an empire and slaughter my enemies. Victory conditions are for losers! :)

But seriously - I used to use World Builder a lot before BtS - mainly because I hated playing for 4 hours only to discover the map is painfully boring! New map options have made this less of a problem. I would open up WB, take a glance, and close WB, just to make sure I was on a decent map.

Sometimes I like to do some serious modifying of my start spot - in order to make an uber-city - but play on a higher difficulty than I normally enjoy (Monarch for me). Drawback is that it kills the mystery of exploring the world and discovering resources, which kind of ruins the 'feel' of the game for me.

12. Dutch Canuck

Dutch Canuck Khan of Flatlanders

I admit to opening WB for one of four reasons:

1) To verify new map scripts and options I'm trying - I want a fun map to play on;
    2) To check to see if the game is running properly if I suspect a bug - this a rather rare for me;
    3) If I perceive I'm losing badly then I'll open it up to see what is going on and study where I went wrong - at which point I'll probably scrap the game anyways;
    4) And the real cheat I do: I peek to see who's building what wonders just so I know what not waste my time on. There was a time in the Civilization series, I forget which version of the game, that you'd be warned that someone has started building a wonder, or later that someone is almost finished building a wonder - I really liked those warnings and I miss them! :sad: (E.g. "Traders report that the X are building The Y." OR "Travellers say they've seen someone is building a great wonder: The Blankety-blank!")

Aside from tinkering with WB on scrapped games and old saves of games I've won, I've never adopted a habit of openning the WB to change anything.

13. Yaype

Yaype Me

Well said!

I myself have never used WB, but not because I look at it as something "wrong." Too many people here look at CIV too seriously, but when it comes down to it, it is just a game (although I am always trying to win one way or another). You play it to have fun, and if using WB enhances your experience, more power to you.

14. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

Random maps are sometimes super siliously obtuse to game play (say that 5 times fast!)

I go into WB and if the shape of the continents and relative position of land masses is all hosed, I reboot.

The one thing I have to keep my wandering eye away from is the impulse to go find out how a civ is able to pump out units at 2-3 times my rate with the same number of cities. This usually means that one of their early cities was founded on some glorious piece of land that I've never had when I start. One game, my neighbor had his capital on a plains river hill, surrounded by wine, stone, ivory and copper....On emperor, that's like fighting a heavy weight boute as a welter weight, lol :lol:

15. Elros

Elros Paranoid Android

If I'm going to war with an enemy and they don't look capable of putting up a fight I may help them out a bit. Otherwise NEVER!

16. Cruor

Cruor Chieftain

I use it every game, and I think it really enhances the game, heres what I do:

I like making the map lush and fair for all the civs. Lets face it, if you happen to start on a plot with a river, dye, gold, and a cow on the river (which I have had before) or your a financial civ starting next to 3 clams and a silver mine, its just an insane advantage. I mod it so that every civ has a fair start. Different trade resources to encourage trade/resource wars, but fair resource distribution.

I make sure everyone have at least copper or iron... why? because frankly I find no fun in plowing over a civ that doesnt have them.

I get rid of a lot of desert and tundra. Why? last time I checked, Las Vegas, Toronto, and many middle eastern cities decided to found in "crappy" spots but they are doing pretty damn well.. when you can have your farmlands ship food to your tundra/desert cites so they can grow large, ill stop doing that. (btw food corps are nice but why cant we just ship food to our desert/trunda cities like we shipped food to our toxic planets in MOO 2?)

I like to found barbarian cities around the map, and fortify them with well trained barbs. I like war, and it gives myself and the AI more targets.

After I have made these changes to the world I close world builder and dont cheat with giving myself units or techs but IMO having better terrain makes the game more fun.

On this, the jungle map is the first map I havnt felt the need to mod... it all grasslands once chopped, and has fair distribution of oil iron etc. However, it has no oceans... any way we can get a continents version of the jungle map (tropical doesn't work, Ive tried)

Anyway, if you think giving the AI better land on emperor level is cheating, fine. But thats the way I enjoy the game.

17. Will9

Will9 Chieftain

I use it for the following purposes:

1. To see if the map is fun
    2. To see if I have already fallen hoplessly behind. (usually just on maps that you won't it takes awhile to meet everyone)
    3. To add culture to a captured city (to me it makes no sence that a conquering civ can't take control of atleast a portion of the conquered civs culture and I generally force myself to stop at 150)

18. BARBEERIAN

BARBEERIAN Chieftain

Depends on the 'type' of game I wanna play. If I'm playing seriously I just lock it out, but if I'm just messing around to experiment with a strat I'll worldbuilder it up with no remorse. I also tend have a habit of giving the barbarians a lone Gunship in 4000 BC so they can go around pretty much killing anything at will but can't take cities. It generally leads to much hilarity to watch each turn! Well unless he ends up in my lands =/

19. Landstander

Landstander Chieftain

That is awesome! Reminds me of another WB edit I did once...
    Terra Map - but upon my discovery of the New World I noticed that the Barbs were far too weak. So I gave them something like half a dozen Settlers, a bunch of defensive units and ample workers. In retrospect, should have set them up with some culture-producing buildings. Much funner to have to FIGHT your way into the New World!

20. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

That's some $%^&ed up @#$%! Would be cool in FFH2 to have something like that, but called a Dragon that didn't take cities, just ran around reaking havoc.

I had a fun game on the Terra Map in BtS, where I built up barbarian cities in all of the "unknown" lands. These barbarian cities grew to be quite powerful in their own right. I actually felt like I was forced to fight decent wars with the Natives for the resources in the New World. Unfortunately, the AI never colonized the new world for fear of the Barbarians.