1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

World Builders Anonymous

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by agoodfella, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Rockstone

Rockstone Chieftain

Never used it before, I don't even know exactly what it is. Reading this though, it seems like cheating to me. Besides, most of the fun is exploring the map and getting that "perfect" spot before somebody else. I just do not see the point in this.

2. Silence101

Silence101 Chieftain

To help with better city locations, one thing I tried doing was choosing the advanced start option and setting the start value at like 200 - which basically gives you enough for one starting city and a unit - still starting at the very beginning. It allows you a bit more freedom in choosing your starting location without revealing the whole map or cheating, though it does reveal more of the map than you would normally have starting a new game. I think it's pretty fair to the AI, too - so this might be a good alternative instead of using the world builder.

I never use world builder to improve the map - I only use it when I'm not going to finish a game and I want to see where everything / everyone was. For me, the fun of this game lies greatly in my ignorance of the map, or trying to figure out how to get access to resources I don't have, or figuring out how to make do without them.

3. Artie

Artie Chieftain

I use ut far to much, mostly once I have discovered most of the map to see if there are any goody huts left.

However I also use it to correct what I see as game setup flaws. For instance on one map I had fish in two spots two squares off shore but in such a position it was impossible to have both in the fat cross. I could build the city in either of two place to get one fish but having done so the other was impossible to have in a fat cross because of the location. Still I prefer to play without touching it, all depends on if I really want a challenge or just goofing.