World Congress discussion thread?

Stringer1313

Emperor
Now that we've seen screenshots of this from the Canada video can we have a separate thread devoted to WC and rampant speculation?

I was a little underwhelmed with the UI. There is a lot of text and none of it seems intuitive (what are the numbers next to the thumbs up signs? Can you vote thumbs up without using diplo points - it's not clear from the screen? Also, they are calling World Games "Emergencies"? That seems like a lazy way to make it moddable...

I am sure the WC mechanics will be interesting but am disappointed from an aesthetics / immersion perspective. Just kinda wish the graphics on the WC screen were more interesting / inviting. Right now it is not unlike the policy card screen (a bunch of cards filled with text, not really immersive)

There's a lot to digest from the screenshots posted by Giskler (here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...iscussion-thread.638647/page-53#post-15299592)

Initial Observations:
  • Diplomatic Favours appear to be used up in World Congress votes, not just endlessly traded back and forth like fruitcake.
  • In addition to a new Diplomatic Favour counter, we also have a new Diplomatic Victory counter. No idea how many of these are required to win.
  • Proposing yourself for a Diplomatic Victory is a double edged sword: +2 Diplomatic Victory point if you win the vote, -1 if you lose. Does that mean you can sabotage other leaders by nominating them for failure?
  • It looks like a really interesting approach to the World Games. It's not just production based. It helps to have Stadiums and Aquatic Centres: a boost to their related districts. In fact, you may need to have these in order to even run the related project. Also, very interesting bonus: a Tourism boost to Campuses! That's a really nice design decision, I think, interlinking these various game elements this way.

My hope is that WC gets started not when someone has met all civs, but before then, when someone first meets the MAJORITY of civs

Also I really wish they would change "Diplomatic Victory Point" to something a little more immersive... (I am repeating an opinion someone already made in the Canada thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I really wish they would change "Diplomatic Victory Point" to something a little more immersive... (I am repeating an opinion someone already made in the Canada thread)

At least it's purpose is clear. Well … I assume I understand what it's purpose is from the name. :think:

The UI is in line with the rest of the Civ6 UI, which is to say, unappealing. Especially after the gorgeous Civ5 UI.

Also, they are calling World Games "Emergencies"? That seems like a lazy way to make it moddable...
For me it shows that finally the game becomes complete, don't know if 100% but certainly puzzles are falling into place.
I don't like emergencies in R&F because they are disconnected from the game. But it seems they are just a framework for let's say "event handling". I imagine that many (if not all) resolutions will be implemented via emergencies plus they will be tight to disasters also. One screen shows some kind of help after a disaster. And since we have modifiers, and apparently resolutions can measure your "inventory", affect resources, projects, etc. I see a flexible mechanism that can be modded. Imagine new resolutions, etc. And just for comparison - in Civ5 WC is not moddable because all resolutions are hardcoded in the DLL.

For me it shows that finally the game becomes complete, don't know if 100% but certainly puzzles are falling into place.
I don't like emergencies in R&F because they are disconnected from the game. But it seems they are just a framework for let's say "event handling". I imagine that many (if not all) resolutions will be implemented via emergencies plus they will be tight to disasters also. One screen shows some kind of help after a disaster. And since we have modifiers, and apparently resolutions can measure your "inventory", affect resources, projects, etc. I see a flexible mechanism that can be modded. Imagine new resolutions, etc. And just for comparison - in Civ5 WC is not moddable because all resolutions are hardcoded in the DLL.

Also people need to keep in mind that what we see is literally placeholder for many things (Watch Hungary's and notice how many of the icons were placeholders), these are recorded well before the are released (I asked Sarah about it) and strings are easily change, so we may see a change from Emergencies to "Actions or Events".

The mechanics look cool but I agree that it would need a bit more eyecandy,
like for World Games some graphics of a stadium etc.

Kind of like historic moments have pictures World congress should too.

I noticed in the first look video that the cost of each subsequent vote increases. Your first vote for the diplo victory is free and each subsequent vote costs 10 diplo favors more each vote. So your second vote costs 10, your third vote costs 20, your fourth vote costs 30, etc...

Other than adding the influence mechanic (and no doubt global warming alarmist stuff) the WC appears at the moment to be just a retread of all the old proposals like "No more trading of this or that" and different eras of international games.
What a shame. I'm still hoping they are holding out on us with some better out of the box thinking.

My hope is that WC gets started not when someone has met all civs, but before then, when someone first meets the MAJORITY of civs

I also hope the congress starts pretty early. Similar to the Apostolic Palace in Civ4, you get number of nations who will be members at first and then others get added as they meet the current members. I also always thought it would be cool if there were different mechanics around the membership and not just blank auto-membership.

Other than adding the influence mechanic (and no doubt global warming alarmist stuff) the WC appears at the moment to be just a retread of all the old proposals like "No more trading of this or that" and different eras of international games.
What a shame. I'm still hoping they are holding out on us with some better out of the box thinking.

Ed Beach oversaw the last WC and this one, so I would anticipate incremental changes, not radical ones.

I also hope the congress starts pretty early. Similar to the Apostolic Palace in Civ4, you get number of nations who will be members at first and then others get added as they meet the current members. I also always thought it would be cool if there were different mechanics around the membership and not just blank auto-membership.

Diplomatic service civic + meeting half the Civs seems like the appropriate start time to me. That would also roughly coincide with when something similar started IRL, the Peace of Westphalia in 1648.

I hope they have some different things then the resolutions we have had in past games

Top Bottom