World congress stupidity

Once the options get thin, I'll propose a resolution that key AI are in favor of but won't help me, then vote it down. Get the positive for proposing something they like and no negative side effect for voting it down.

Worlds Fair is usually good for this as most AI like it, but if I'm not ready to devote production to it I'll propose it then vote it down.

Ah yes...I will do that too, if it seems to make sense.....

The key, of course, with the World Congress is to do all you can to be the dominant entity.... I now make a point of opening Patronage quite early and making sure I get to the Forbidden Palace Tech...[forgot what the tech is called...] fairly quickly. I can usually get the Forbidden Palace, if I'm diligent.... One part I find kind of predictable, and funny at the same time, is the era-change host selection process....the AI will ALWAYS vote for themselves....so if I'm not in a position to dominate, I will then support the AI who I most want to get along with..... sometimes "Friendships" and "Research Agreements" will quickly follow.... I would even say, situational of course, it may be in your long term interest to let someone else be "Host"....at least for a while... :)

AARGH the F***ing world congress ruined my game LOL

I had a BEAUTIFUL AUTOCRATIC KOREAN EMPIRE. And the stupid celts declared world ideology order...

I got like 23 unhappiness from wrong ideology... Boudicca dowed me and I was just wondering why the hell my units fight so bad against her units... Reason was that my empire was in massive unhappiness because world ideology.

I only wish, that world congress/ the UN, would be a wonder instead. Raze the wonder (unless in capital) and you erase the organisation and any former decisions enacted.

:lol: unless the lux being banned is your major lux (you have 5 copies at least in your starting location) 4 happiness is NOTHING :lol: and if it is your major lux, just trade a copy to each civ before the vote and watch the proposal fail.

Now, world ideology on the other hand, is just plain game-breaking.

I often vote down my idea's in order to gain favor but not get what they want.

I also will look to see who is the "hated" civ at that moment, and will go right after a full out embargo usually after first taking away a luxury if* its only them I am hurting. if that civ is a militaristic super power, even better, as it can be a beautiful thing to watch the AI get 5 civs and still fail to remove atilla due to pretty cool map conditions(small continents plus)

I hate the congress. I hate it. After awhile there are no good things to pick. And the AI always picks against you in one way or another. My favorite games are where i earn the bully pulpit and I just start passing whatever I want just because I can.

It's as simple as that. The human often find himself in the same situation: putting up a proposal you don't really want and might vote for or against or vote to stop the proposal of the AI.

I've found myself in that situation in the first few WC meetings. None of the proposals particularly appeals to me and I find myself looking for one that (a) wont hurt me and (b) wont P anyone off. Natural heritage sites, yeah that'll do. I won't bother voting. Plus the long delay between proposal and vote means that the reasons behind a proposal may have turned 180 degrees. The game should have a period of proposal trading so you can sell the right to propose if you're not interested in using it.

Rule of thumb: the banning of resources don't pass very easily. Many AI that don't have it feel more strongly about the other proposal (especially one like Arts Funding, that touches on their flavor and favorite victory conditions), and the AI that have the resource, got it from CS or trade, will always vote against. In short, you should have voted for your own proposal and avoided the predictable diplo hit when Bouddica's proposal would get defeated.

That's sound. I've noticed that the AI loves Arts Funding. Surely they can't all be leading in the race to a CV, so there must be some miscalculation going on. As you suggest their voting is probably based on non-rational factors such as flavors and favorites, not the actual game situation.

As has been pointed out you get a diplo hit for voting against an AI proposal and a diplo plus for making a proposal they like, but apparently no hit for voting against someone else's proposal that they like. So you can game the system by proposing something they like then vote against it.

I hate the congress. I hate it. After awhile there are no good things to pick.

You can propose to repeal existing resolutions. That can distract the AI from voting for more dumb stuff.

AARGH the F***ing world congress ruined my game LOL

I had a BEAUTIFUL AUTOCRATIC KOREAN EMPIRE. And the stupid celts declared world ideology order...

I got like 23 unhappiness from wrong ideology... Boudicca dowed me and I was just wondering why the hell my units fight so bad against her units... Reason was that my empire was in massive unhappiness because world ideology.

I only wish, that world congress/ the UN, would be a wonder instead. Raze the wonder (unless in capital) and you erase the organisation and any former decisions enacted.

Heh... my last game I was Mongolia and universally hated. I'd completely conquered every major Civ (and half the minor ones) on my continent and two "runaways" on the other continent (Egypt and Inca - they'd conquered everyone else and half their CS too) were running the WC. I chose Autocracy (for happiness and unit maintenance) and they chose Order. They hammered through World Ideology Order.

Funny thing, even though Egypt was influential enough to exert pressure on me and Inca and I lacked influence on anyone... I had highest happiness.
Inca and Egypt were struggling between positive and negative single digits while I had 40ish happiness (after including -27 from Public Opinion so the +10 from Fountain of Youth wasn't the big factor). Between that and the embargo on me (was running all internal TRs) I just laughed at the WC. Any luxuries they banned hurt one of them as well and they had no chance of diplo victory. I was planning on removing all the remaining CS and actually used a hidden antiquity site to open Patronage to build Forbidden Palace (oddly enough no Patronage civs survived long enough to build it since I crushed Austria on my continent).

Haha, I think this AI behavior is humour. You are the only one with a luxuary that they are trying to ban and after you block it in the WC they all come to me to whine. "WHYYY?". Hmm. Don't act surprised, shocked or whatever, you should have known. :)

I think it'd be nice if there were some repeatable proposals to submit to the WC so you had something to do in the lull periods where there's nothing good for your to vote for on the table.

Perhaps something that generates a flat bonus science/culture/gold bonus for each of the member nations, either as a one-off or until the next vote.
(Flat bonus as in, say +5 per turn without taking any city modifiers into account. So it'll be popular with weaker civs and help them catch up.)

I think it'd be nice if there were some repeatable proposals to submit to the WC so you had something to do in the lull periods where there's nothing good for your to vote for on the table.

Perhaps something that generates a flat bonus science/culture/gold bonus for each of the member nations, either as a one-off or until the next vote.
(Flat bonus as in, say +5 per turn without taking any city modifiers into account. So it'll be popular with weaker civs and help them catch up.)

I added more proposals with my mod (which I'm about to upload an early alpha) mainly due to the slow pace of the game. Extra World's Fairs for the eras and International Games. Probably add in a few more later, saw some unused ones in the .xml.

In my current game (still in progress), I was friends with Denmark, who was the first host of the WC. His first proposal? Embargo me!!! That jerkface. I had trade routes with many other civs, and his proposal didn't pass (he used all his votes to try to get it to pass, though). I obviously voted against it as well. Of course, next screen, you voted against me, we won't support you in the future. You jerk, you're the one who backstabbed me! As soon as the DoF expired, I denounced him and he's been hostile ever since - even after adopting the same ideology as me!

I just love it when one of the AI players gets all petty. It makes me laugh to no end.

Well, when you have to select something as a proposal and you don't want to select anything, the only thing to do is ban something or repeal prior ban. That's wnat I do. Probably same for AIs.

Well, when you have to select something as a proposal and you don't want to select anything, the only thing to do is ban something or repeal prior ban. That's wnat I do. Probably same for AIs.

Well...you have the option of not voting for anything....just click the button with no votes allocated.

I do this sometimes when I may not be in control of the WC and am not really interested in either of the proposals...and, of course, as long as I'm not the target of anything negative.

In a recent game...with Alex as a neighbour, he quickly dominated the World Congress ...in no time he had 15 votes......[I don't know how they can do that without some kind of "programming buff"...;)].

Anyway, I decided that as soon as I could I would take him out. The logistics of this was actually quite easy. He was right next to me and he only had three cities, one of which was a puppet. So I totally eliminated him and was now "in-charge" of the WC....

Sometimes it makes sense to take on the extra penalty ....a kind of "least worst" option I guess.

I was now free to go after the next AI...also fairly close ...Ethiopia, who had previously been quite useful as an "ally".... RAs... and, something I hadn't seen before,....while he was friendly he renewed a trade agreement for salt several times where he paid me $207G plus GPT....unusually generous.

After the fall of Alex, Ethiopia quickly denounced me. I was now free to grab Addis Ababa which had several nice wonders in it....also a fairly easy conquest....

A fun game...

AIs sometimes get mad when you vote against their proposals. For example, Maria was next to me and she wanted to ban luxury marble. I voted against it and it failed. Afterwards, Maria flipped, denounces and dropped from friendly to hostile.

Top Bottom