World Congress

Are you excited about world congresss?

• Yes

Votes: 268 89.3%
  • No

Votes: 32 10.7%

• Total voters
I'm hoping that the existence of the World Congress will mean a substantial overhaul to the diplomatic system, which I think is currently very poor. However, I am concerned that if they implement the World Congress without any significant changes to diplomacy or improvements to the diplomatic AI, it could be a disaster... if the other AI civilizations change the rules of the game as randomly and haphazardly as they currently do everything else, then it could quickly become a nightmare.

This is why I said I'm not excited. Curious? Yes. Excited? Not exactly. WC without any AI improvements in the areas of trade and diplomacy would, as the quote indicates, be an utter disaster if given even more things to mess up. However, I'm pretty confident some level of improvement will be made to the AI in these areas. How much improvement is the deciding factor. While I don't think they'd add the WC without making changes to the AI, I do see the possibility of them only making small improvements that don't remedy the existing problems while the addition of the WC creates even further issues. Only after the first patch after the release of BNW will it probably be clear what the case is.

Yes I'm excited to have someone declare war on me, beat them back, and have the whole world hate me and now place sanctions on me because I won the war. :rolleyes:

Do we know whether the WC will change how Diplomatic Victory works?
It appears from the most recent interview that the World Congress eventually transforms into the United Nations. So whatever nuances they have put into the World Congress (delegates coming from more than just City-States, potential vote-trading, potential espionage) should apply to the UN vote as well.

It appears that once the WC turns into the UN (globalization still?), there is a "World Leader" vote every 10 turns. So I guess a Diplomatic Victory is a continual threat.

As I said in the other thread, though, it seems like Diplo victory will be a little more intricate than merely saving up a ton of gold and buying the friendship of all the CSs on the turn before the election. CSs will still play a role in who gets how many votes, but it looks like you'll still need to play nice with the other civs.

I want to know if i can still use WC or the UN after a game victory. i like to play for a long time after a victory so i want something do to all the time

I like the terrible example he gave in the video: If someone puts sanctions on you breaking trade routes you can ally city-states for more delegates to counter it.

Right... so by getting a portion of my GPT cut I should counter it by spending gold to ally city-states... but I don't have that gold, because it was cut from the sanctions...

Not saying this as a rant, just amusing example to me.

I'm hoping the world congress does more than just inact bans/regulations on the world, and offers a hand of support as well. If say a Civilization has multiple cities which are starving, a vote could be introduced to help support them in their time of need.

One of the screenshots has text that says new hosts are chosen for the World Congress. So the civ that meets everyone and has Printing Press only hosts the first (few?) Congress(es).

Yep, Polynesia isn't going to be the eternal president of the World Congress then.

I voted yes, but that might be a bit of an overstatement. I'm pleasantly optimistic by it. It'll add some nice things and hopefully won't be too intrusive. Any new diplomacy is good diplomacy.

This.

As a largely peaceful player, I hope it actually works and isn't a paper tiger (although in that respect it would reflect the real-life UN rather well, sadly).

Do you think delegates will stack with every new era? That would awesome because then you should really work trough the game to get the final victory.
I'm saying this because the screens show how (at least for the first two eras) the delegates increase proportionally, which doesn't make sense as they could simply stay the same and nothing would change.

Do you think delegates will stack with every new era? That would awesome because then you should really work trough the game to get the final victory.
I'm saying this because the screens show how (at least for the first two eras) the delegates increase proportionally, which doesn't make sense as they could simply stay the same and nothing would change.
CS votes are counting in with next era, and even when proportions with big civs are the same, they increas to counter CS votes.

Does this mean that the World Congress will open up communications with all civs, regardless of whether we found them ourselves?

So do they vote for who hosts the next congress? That would make sense.

Speculation: And once you reach the atomic age, the host vote becomes a vote for World Leader if you can get a quorum.

I love the way that WC interface looks!!

Top Bottom