1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

World Congress

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by EricTheGreat12, Apr 10, 2013.

?

Are you excited about world congresss?

1. Yes

268 vote(s)
    89.3%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Do we know whether the WC will change how Diplomatic Victory works?

2. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

That's the point. We don't know very much about the congress at all.
    To early for me to get excited. Nevertheless, the congress has a very high "excitement-potential". But until we know more, I'll abstain from voting.

3. ahawk

ahawk King

This is why I said I'm not excited. Curious? Yes. Excited? Not exactly. WC without any AI improvements in the areas of trade and diplomacy would, as the quote indicates, be an utter disaster if given even more things to mess up. However, I'm pretty confident some level of improvement will be made to the AI in these areas. How much improvement is the deciding factor. While I don't think they'd add the WC without making changes to the AI, I do see the possibility of them only making small improvements that don't remedy the existing problems while the addition of the WC creates even further issues. Only after the first patch after the release of BNW will it probably be clear what the case is.

4. Halps

Halps Chieftain

Yes I'm excited to have someone declare war on me, beat them back, and have the whole world hate me and now place sanctions on me because I won the war. :rolleyes:

5. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

It appears from the most recent interview that the World Congress eventually transforms into the United Nations. So whatever nuances they have put into the World Congress (delegates coming from more than just City-States, potential vote-trading, potential espionage) should apply to the UN vote as well.

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It appears that once the WC turns into the UN (globalization still?), there is a "World Leader" vote every 10 turns. So I guess a Diplomatic Victory is a continual threat.

7. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

As I said in the other thread, though, it seems like Diplo victory will be a little more intricate than merely saving up a ton of gold and buying the friendship of all the CSs on the turn before the election. CSs will still play a role in who gets how many votes, but it looks like you'll still need to play nice with the other civs.

8. _ViKinG_

_ViKinG_ BERSERKER

I want to know if i can still use WC or the UN after a game victory. i like to play for a long time after a victory so i want something do to all the time

9. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

I like the terrible example he gave in the video: If someone puts sanctions on you breaking trade routes you can ally city-states for more delegates to counter it.

Right... so by getting a portion of my GPT cut I should counter it by spending gold to ally city-states... but I don't have that gold, because it was cut from the sanctions...

Not saying this as a rant, just amusing example to me.

10. g3istbot

g3istbot Space Squid from SPACE

I'm hoping the world congress does more than just inact bans/regulations on the world, and offers a hand of support as well. If say a Civilization has multiple cities which are starving, a vote could be introduced to help support them in their time of need.

11. Leugi

Leugi Supreme Libertador

12. Eagle Pursuit

One of the screenshots has text that says new hosts are chosen for the World Congress. So the civ that meets everyone and has Printing Press only hosts the first (few?) Congress(es).

13. Leugi

Leugi Supreme Libertador

Yep, Polynesia isn't going to be the eternal president of the World Congress then.

14. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

This.

As a largely peaceful player, I hope it actually works and isn't a paper tiger (although in that respect it would reflect the real-life UN rather well, sadly).

15. Bonci

Bonci King

Do you think delegates will stack with every new era? That would awesome because then you should really work trough the game to get the final victory.
    I'm saying this because the screens show how (at least for the first two eras) the delegates increase proportionally, which doesn't make sense as they could simply stay the same and nothing would change.

16. BrotherInJah

BrotherInJah 60% of the time works every time

CS votes are counting in with next era, and even when proportions with big civs are the same, they increas to counter CS votes.

17. CivCube

CivCube Feelin' defiant.

Does this mean that the World Congress will open up communications with all civs, regardless of whether we found them ourselves?

18. BrotherInJah

BrotherInJah 60% of the time works every time

You mean CS? Cause WC can be started when one civ found rest. Nothing was mentioned about finding CS.

19. Eagle Pursuit

So do they vote for who hosts the next congress? That would make sense.

Speculation: And once you reach the atomic age, the host vote becomes a vote for World Leader if you can get a quorum.

20. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    I love the way that WC interface looks!!