1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

World Cup 2010 Final!

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Nomnomnom, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Is that what they were they complaining about (I couldn't understand the Lithuanian commentary)? Odd, as replays suggested he was onside by a good metre or two.

2. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Iniesta's goal was clearly on-side.

Iniesta was indeed off-side on the first pass but it's been intercepted by the Dutch defender, and on the second pass Iniesta was probably 1.5m on-side.

Anyway, what the Netherlands have achieved for such a small country is really impressive. I fully respect their bitterness tonight. It's awful to lose a world cup final, I've experienced it by myself 4 years ago, and three finals lost is hard to swallow. But it doesn't really change anything in the fact the Netherlands remain among the most respected national team worldwide, which is something really huge for a country of only 16 million people... which means less than people living in NYC urban area!

3. FredLC

FredLC A Lawyer as You Can See! Retired Moderator

Possibly not exactly what you meant, but would you go as far as holding the Germans as favorites for a tournament that is 4 years away and that Brazil will play with home advantage? Specially considering that renovation of players is one of our strongest features?

I predict Brazil being the team to beat in the WC 2014.

Regards :).

4. kalif

kalif am start

Cheer up! If there is a country that produces world class talents over decades, it is the Netherlands!

5. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

The final pass was certainly on-side; the pass before that seemed to be off-side (thus eliminating the events after that). I have not seen a replay so my thoughts on this are only based on what I've seen. It could be on-side; it could be off-side.

Nevertheless; Spain was the strongest side; but we could have taken it.

6. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

Well, they seem to be pointing at the other end of the pitch, so it was probably what they thought was a foul not given on Elia.

7. Marla_Singer

I predict France to win it against Brazil in final! :goodjob:

That would be reminded as "the second Maracanaço". :lol: :D

I know our players are crap and we don't have any good youngsters around, but wet dreams aren't forbidden yet.

8. Marla_Singer

Considering the ball had been intercepted by the Dutch player, and thus never reached Iniesta, would it still have to be whistled if he was then off-side?

I would think "no" but the off-side rule is such a mess that I actually don't know for sure.

9. FredLC

You and the Italians, with your freaking blue shirts, prevented that one of the best generations of Brazilian Players (1982 and 1986) ever made it to the finals. But we got sweet vengeance against the Italians, perhaps next cup we will get even with you. ;)

The Maracanã deserves to see a Brazilian hold the Cup. You'll go home to your cheese and croissants empty-handed!

GO Freedom Fries!

10. Rik Meleet

Does it really matter? Spain won. So Congratulations to SPAIN :clap:

11. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

The Dutch were complaining that he didnt give a valid corner kick after wesley sneijders free kick. Right after that, Spain scored. If Webb had given that corner kick everthing would've changed.

12. Rik Meleet

If, only if. FIFA's rules are not based on truth (video) nor on reality, but on perception.

Still it doesn't matter - it's Spain in 2010.

13. FredLC

Playful banter.

Of Course the Spaniards are the VIPs tonight.

So get drunk with victory, Fury! :goodjob:

14. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

Either way, the netherlands deserved to finish the game in 9 by the end of the 90th minute.

Spain were the best team this year, but if Robben had scored... :( Poor guy, he'll have that haunt him for the rest of his life. At least he's rich. :p

15. Marla_Singer

Wait a sec! 1982 and 1986 was actually THE best generation of French players in History, and that generation has been broken by the evil guys in white shirts and black shorts.

All my life I've been waiting for a revenge... but unfortunately France never played Germany again during a world cup or a euro since then. Now the Germans are nice guys, Thomas Müller is a handsome boy always smiling. It's not the same. :sad:

16. DefunKt

DefunKt Chieftain

Glad to see the sportmanship showed by all the dutchies in here.

Some of my family is living in the Netherlands and even one of my cousins is dutch born. I´ve been there like 4 or 5 times, so im really sad about you guys. Hope you all see Holland to win a WC soon! Wonderful feeling ;)!

Go Spain! You made us proud!

17. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

Hey, I want my french revenge before that. :trouble: 3 semis! We're due first. :p

18. FredLC

Well, at least I don't worry about how cute the opposition players are.

But I have a horny friend who says he'll cheer for the Netherlands next cup just so he can join the celebration with the Dutch babes. He has a thing for blonds. ;)

I told him that consolation hugs are more prone to get personal ...

19. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Well well well. After the game against Brazil everyone was calling me a sore loser for criticizing the awful, anti-sport way this Ducth team was behaving. Now, reading this thread, it seems that pretty much all neutral parties agree with me to some degree.

I, like virtually all Brazilians, love the traditional Dutch football. We love the team that defeated us in 1974. We love the offensive and fast paced style that made Holland respected and loved throughout the world.

But this team is a disgrace. Van Bommel and de Jong are not players, they're thugs. Robben makes me want to punch his face. I feel bad for Sneijder, perhaps the only true great talent in that team.

I agree with the poster who said that football dodged a bullet tonight. It would be horrible for the sport if the Dutch behaviour was rewarded; I hope they go back to their old selfs before 2014. Nevertheless I do congratulate the sportsmanship showed by the Dutch players after the defeat, lining up to shake hands with the Spaniards and all. A beautiful gesture.

Oh, and congrats to Spain, the new football superpower! You guys really deserved it; what a great group you have!

20. FredLC

No way. We lost a final. We get to finish them off first!