1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

World Cup 2010 Final!

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Nomnomnom, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

I hadn't noticed that... but you're actually right... we've beaten you thrice in semi-finals. :blush:

France is actually quite good against Portuguese-speaking countries. :D

2. FredLC

FredLC A Lawyer as You Can See! Retired Moderator

I agreed with your assessments more than it was obvious during those debates. I think you overreacted a bit, but I was fine with the general assessment that Brazil's collapse was more internal than imposed by Dutch improvement, and that this Dutch team, while efficient, does not live up to the Country's tradition (the same could be said about Brazil as well).

Still, your timing and tone were both terrible there, buddie.

Regards :).

3. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Yeah that was really a nice move from the Dutchies.

It makes me ashamed as I recall Domenech refusing to shake Parreira's hand after our defeat against South Africa. What a pathetic exit. :cry:

And as you said, moral is safe. It's nice to see a generous offensive team playing a creative passing game winning it all. Congratulations Spain! :)

4. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

That has to have been one of the most dull matches I've seen...

5. Jos Ballenbak

Jos Ballenbak Zombiehunter, duh.....

Oh yeah please do award the Dutch behaviour a prize, as I recall the Brazilian players Robinho and Felipe Melo were such good losers. Felipe Melo even claiming that if he would really have wanted to hurt Robben he had the power and the will to break both of his legs.

I am really fed up with the way you bluntly offend the Dutch Football team. In the Final game the Referee could have given the same number of cards to the Spanish team, Iniesta even performed the best dive of the WC giving van der Wiel a yellow card. Now I'm not trying to bash the Spanish team or the Brazilian team, but I really am angry that you so "kindly" and so often refer to the Dutch players as thugs, divers and a disgrace to Dutch football. This team are considered heroes in the Netherlands and next time you post about the Dutch team in whole, fans or single out players you should be a bit more aware, and considerate with what you say, as football is a game where teams and fans should show mutual respect to each other no matter the outcome (or somebody has to get killed:mischief:).

But oh my did you Spanish people rob me from one hell of night. I was watching in my hometown on the town square which was transformed for the Rieu concerts. The most famous "Mestreechteneer" would even perform a few songs if we won. Of course it was a close call, but the Spanish beated us fair and square. I have a lot off, if only moments right now, but I suppose that's obvious when the loss is so fresh.
    I think that the whole team, coach, the whole nation and myself were already preparing for the penalty shootout, and now that is something that will always cost ya! It may not have been an exciting match for the neutral followers (understatement uhum...;)), but I had one of the most anxieting and exciting matches ever, thus was the devestation of our loss even greater.

Congratulations Spain!

6. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Eh, the difference is that you won't see a single Brazilian defending Felipe Melo. If you read the thread on the Brazil vs Netherlands match, you'll see I called him a criminal and said his red card was well deserved. Felipe Melo is probably the most hated person in Brazil right now - hell, even Ronaldo told him to not come back soon.

But apparently the Dutch - or at least the Dutch on this board - keep praising exactly the same behaviour by van Bommel and de Jong. Tell me, what's the difference between them and Felipe Melo? They're all thugs trying to hurt their opponents as much as they can. They have no place in football teams and they should be universally condemned.

This team disgraces Dutch Football, which as I said, I greatly admire. I see nothing wrong or offensive in stating that. It's not even the whole team which is the problem, they did have excellent players like Sneijder, but their behaviour was messed up.

The Spanish did dive quite a bit in the last moments of the game, but that was basically a defense mechanism against Ducth aggression. Clearly tonight the Spaniards wanted to play football while the Dutch - or at least some Dutch players - wanted to disrupt the flow of the game with ugly fouls. They really should have gotten quite a few extra red cards.

Well I think this sort of behaviour ought to be harshly condemned. I really did not want this team to win, and I agree with those who said football dodged a bullet (and hell, it was close!). I don't see the point in pretending it's all fine when it isn't.

And I did congratulate what I thought was deserving of congratulation. The Dutch showed true sportsmanship after their defeat, and I think that counts for something.

7. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Just make sure your side shows up for that game. ;)

8. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Wow. Suárez is an evil, unsportsmanly practiser of anti-football.
    What about de Jong, van Bommel, Heitinga, Puyol? Iniesta and van Bommel both fouling each other... that's a red for each. Oh well...
    In all fairness the game was a shame, one of the worst-officiated and less sporting title-deciding matches ever. By half-time I was expecting the the Dutch to put on their karate outfits and start shouting 'Hadoken!!' whenever anyone got near them. Iniesta was offside in the first pass and so the goal should have been disallowed. Nigel de Jong should have been prosecuted for assault/attempted murder.
    For those who don't know, FIFA vice-president and AFA long-time president (ever since 1979) Julio Grondona ('Don Julio') has made himself a ring with the inscription 'todo pasa'. It means, basically, that everything is allowed.
    Cheers, Blatter!

Now let's wait for Tabárez to achieve a second 'Maracanazo'.

9. FredLC

Hehehehehe... Indeed. But with these many "blackouts" of Brazilian teams lately (like the 2nd half against the Dutch), I'll start believing in conspiracy theories that Brazil sold the WC to France in exchange for hosting the 2014 cup (a nonsense commonly believed around here).

10. FredLC

If we are lucky, we will face a team which's goalie was born in Brazil and we will win 6-0, managing to go through the first round by "goal differential"*, winning the Cup at home eventually...:p

I guess Brazilians and Argentinians should not discuss the WCs they organized in the past... :rolleyes:

* - Too bad there is no second group stage anymore so I can make a good analogy...

11. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Oy, Fred, do brazilians still go on about the whole 'O mais grande do mundo' thing?

X-post, to be edited further.

Argentina didn't cheat, your very own conational Havelange had a personal interview with the ruling Junta and assured them that Argentina would win the WC. 1978 had double the budget of Spain '82 simply because half of it was spent on bribes... :shake:
    That's why i don't support Argentina -also, because Scotland never plays :p

12. FredLC

Ah, I personally have no real trauma of the Maracanazzo - it happened 27 years before I was born, for freaking out loud. Actually, come to think, 1950 was the year my FATHER was born.

But I have an uncle who was in the stadium that said it was like a bomb fell in the country. Nevertheless, today only the old mummies of sporting chronicle that were actually beginning their careers at the time still mention it ocassionally.

From what I hear, it's much more commonly evoked in the Uruguayan current press, every time they need to face Brazil or any other stronger squad, asking for "the spirit of 1950". Quite understandable I guess.

1978, however, still pop up in the press every time Brazil has a big match against Argentina. They leave the Havelange bit out, though. :p

13. Arwon

Arwon

Iker Casillas was magnificent, and should probably have been man of the match.

14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The Dutch keeper wasn't so bad either..

15. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

damn i had 10 dollars on the dutch!
    anyway anyone know what the only team was that wasn't defeated in the world cup?

16. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

It's New Zealand. We get it, every Kiwi has said it already. You guys also did not win a single game, so it's kind of moot.

But aren't records technically counted after 90 minutes, meaning the United States and the Netherlands also would be undefeated. :p

17. Arwon

Arwon

Incidentally, I won 100 bucks from my pre-tournament bet on Spain to win the whole thing. An added reason to celebrate!

18. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

My dream 1994 Revenge..

Brasil-Italia @ the Maracana. Italy wins in penalty kicks 5-4. Pato misses the key penalty.

:mischief:

19. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

Now I need a new avatar...

20. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

You should use this:

:mischief: