World Cup 2010 Final!

Dirk Kuijt's tournament has been excellent though. He consistently gets described as just a runner, but I feel that doesn't do credit to his performance throughout this World Cup.

Furthermore, I think Van Persie's performance is not has not been as bad as people say it was,while Spain's performance hasn't been great at all. Granted, their win over Germany was impressive, but one can't judge from one game. The Netherlands have been consistently efficient, well-organized and looking to make the game. I think they are able to combine the good aspects of Chile's and Paraguay's games. So while Spain might be the top dog, we stand a pretty decent chance. In fact, it's close to 50-50 if you ask me.

Kuijt is better than Heskey, I guess. But I'm not a fan of strikers who can't score ;)

And van Persie ? Hmm, OK. I thought he had been pretty much anonymous. The standout characters of the Dutch team have been Sneijder (as a plus) and van Bommel (as a Materazzi clone).

My current prediction: Bommel will be sent off and this will decide the result.

bommel never gets sent off and webb will be even more lenient than your usual wc ref.

Least there will be one English guy on the pitch for the world cup final :mischief:

I hope it does, I think the Germans were too gentle on Spain. It's the semi-final and they just were too nice. van Bommel, and de Jong are 2 players who can disrupt the flow of a team with those little mean fouls.

I hope the ref allows it, I can imagine that he's going to watch those players carefully.

Kuyt NEVER ever scores though :lol: He's an alright player, yeah, but if he could actually convert some of the chances he gets, he would move up a notch or two and go from decent to good.

He scored against Denmark and I think he's a very good player, he has been very important for the team.

Paul the Octopus says Spain will win, so i guess that settles it.

Paul predicted the finals of Euro 2008 wrong and a parrot in Singapore predicted the Netherlands to win! :lol:

bommel never gets sent off and webb will be even more lenient than your usual wc ref.

I certainly hope so. He has handed out a lot of yellow cards so far.

van Bommel should have been sent off in both the semis and the quarterfinals, what makes you think he will be this time around?

I really hope the dutch win this thing. I won't stand the Spaniards brag for four years :p

Plus I'm rooting for Sneijder to get the Golden Ball.

While the Spanish would have every right to brag I would much prefer to brag myself! Fuuuuuuu the wait is killing me :(

The wait is killing me! I can't wait to see my Spanish friends' faces when they lose :smug:

Ooooh.. We've been watching the entire World Cup with our Spanish neighbors! Including a lot of non-interesting matches. So cool to meet in the final. Can't wait! :crazyeye:

Kuijt is better than Heskey, I guess. But I'm not a fan of strikers who can't score ;)

And van Persie ? Hmm, OK. I thought he had been pretty much anonymous. The standout characters of the Dutch team have been Sneijder (as a plus) and van Bommel (as a Materazzi clone).

Kuijt's assist in the semis was good. He also makes the most passes in the team, and runs the most kms. That's a good reason to keep him in. And we won't have to fear Segio Ramos, because Kuijt will keep him in check. Not that any team would have to fear Ramos, as he's rubbish, but still...

van Bommel should have been sent off in both the semis and the quarterfinals, what makes you think he will be this time around?

The fact that he wasn't sent off!?

Or the fact that van Bommel is a player who knows what is allowed and what isn't allowed in a match. I'm not saying he doesn't commit fouls, but he understands what will give him a yellow card and what won't. I understand it can be very frustrating to watch him playing against your team, but every person with common knowledge of football will say that van Bommel is a very valuable player.

The fact that he wasn't sent off!?

Or the fact that van Bommel is a player who knows what is allowed and what isn't allowed in a match. I'm not saying he doesn't commit fouls, but he understands what will give him a yellow card and what won't. I understand it can be very frustrating to watch him playing against your team, but every person with common knowledge of football will say that van Bommel is a very valuable player.

He has indeed been a very valuable destroyer, but I'm not so sure that he knows what will get a yellow card and what won't. Some of his tackles in the last two games were yellow cards 80% of the time, and I think he just got lucky rather than had some fine judgement as to what he could get away with.

I suspect it helps he's wearing orange - we're used to fluent passing football from the Dutch. If they had been wearing Italian shirts, we'd be complaining about traditional, stereotypical Italian behaviour - fouling, diving, berating the ref. This is the least pleasant Dutch team to watch that I can remember, and I kinda hope they lose so that this doesn't become seen as to way to gain success in the Netherlands.

It would be sad to see the tradition of Cruyff and van Basten be thrown aside for the hard pragmatism of the van Bommel approach.

It is difficult to go against the prognistication powers of Paul the Octopus, so I think I'm now going to root for the apparent underdog: The Netherlands.

But for all you Spain fans out there:

@ madviking

Those shirts are epic!

Top Bottom