World Cup 2019

MaryKB

Goddess Queen
Supporter
Is anyone else following? I normally don't like sports, especially soccer lol, but the USA team is really special and fun to root for. Do you think anyone has a chance to stop them from defending their title?

I'm watching their game against Chile right now, so far up 3-0!

No it's definitely the World Cup, and the USA won last time in 2015, and they look really unstoppable right now.

Is anyone else following? I normally don't like sports, especially soccer lol, but the USA team is really special and fun to root for. Do you think anyone has a chance to stop them from defending their title?

I'm watching their game against Chile right now, so far up 3-0!

I've been watching here and there, I know people made a big deal about the stomping we put on Thailand which was a bit extreme both in the scoring and the commentary about said scoring.

Haven't seen any games yet but I'll try to catch our games in the playoff. Go Norway.

Got it. It was the women's WC :)
That is pretty interesting. Maybe some of those female players should help coach the men's team of the US, give it is nowhere near that level ;)

Our Dutch women's soccer team seems to enjoy playing much more than the men's team.
(the men's team so serious, talking about systems too much, calculating their increased transfer amounts and salaries depending on national matches).

And this joy of the women's team transfers to us spectators :)

IDK if you can coach that enthusiasm and joy to male teams :grouphug:

For a moment i thought i accidentally crossed a wormhole door and was in a parallel universe (again).

Dont know anything about women soccer. Is USA the n°1 as in men basketball?

I was following Sweden vs. Thailand on the radio today. Will try to catch USA vs. Sweden on TV on Thursday. USA are tournament favourites and apparently could not help themselves but to cheer wildly against the Thai in their game earlier - even at 13-0 up, which is certainly not against the rules, just pathetic.

The Australian games have been making the news, but probably less so than the other World Cup happening at the moment. Australia aren't looking at their best, but at least India appear irresistible, so hopefully England won't win.

Women's World Cup:
France (hosts) and USA (holders) are favorites, and could face each other as early as the quarterfinals.
Japan won in 2007 and were 2nd in 2011.
Germany are 2-time winners.
England are looking good and may be the dark horse pick.

Group Stage match to see: England v Japan, on Wednesday.

Our Dutch women's soccer team seems to enjoy playing much more than the men's team.
(the men's team so serious, talking about systems too much, calculating their increased transfer amounts and salaries depending on national matches).

And this joy of the women's team transfers to us spectators :)

IDK if you can coach that enthusiasm and joy to male teams :grouphug:

Ditto. Our team has been a refreshing show of zest for the game ("Tactics? Lulling the game to sleep once you're winning? Nah, chaaaarge!!" is their SOP) and they're enjoying an unprecedented popularity right now.

I still expect Brazil to be a wake up call.

The Australian games have been making the news, but probably less so than the other World Cup happening at the moment. Australia aren't looking at their best, but at least India appear irresistible, so hopefully England won't win.

We've got your number... :p

Maybe France or Germany, England has a good side as well. But definitely USA is favorite, IMHO.

For a moment i thought i accidentally crossed a wormhole door and was in a parallel universe (again).

Dont know anything about women soccer. Is USA the n°1 as in men basketball?
Not quite as dominant as basketball but yes, our women's soccer team tends to dominate the world cup. Thanks Title IX!

I'm awaiting the other, other 2019 World Cup in September: Rugby (union). USA is grouped with England, France, Argentina and Tonga. Hooray, Grupo del Muerte! It'd be cool if we could beat Tonga. We won't, but it'd be cool.

The version of the Tongan Kailao the ruggers perform is called the Sipi Tau. "Let the foreigner and sojourner beware; Today, destroyer of souls, I am everywhere."

USA rugby needs a war dance.

Well, since our national team isn't qualified, the media isn't reporting on it. It's the old rule and still true. The difference to four years ago is truly astonishing.

Today's Group C matches look interesting. Italy v Brazil, Australia v Jamaica, with potentially big stakes for the first round of elimination games: The 2nd-place team plays Norway on Saturday, 3rd-place team likely plays Germany. The winner of the group will probably play either Spain or China next Tuesday.

There's actually at least four major World Cups on 2019 - Cricket, FIBA and Rugby being the other three.

In this one, Sam Kerr is incredible, it's just a pity our defence is so chaotic as well. We're a genuine shot to win a WC or Olympic gold one of these years, but it won't be this edition.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Kiwis get up in the cricket, this is probably one of their better shots to win the thing. If they can win the Cricket World Cup and then lose the Rugby World Cup in Japan in November that'll be about perfect.

The Norwegian team needs to get their crap together. The S Korea game was pretty lacking and they were plain lucky to win. I expect a lot more guts from them in the game against the aussies.

Top Bottom