World Cup 2019

I wanted to make some esoteric comment about some other obscure World Cup that's currently in progress, but Mr Google doesn't seem very helpful here and I got bored of clicking through all the various sports with World Cups on wikipedia, trying to find one that's currently happening. So just imagine I did that and that it was amusing.

I wanted to make some esoteric comment about some other obscure World Cup that's currently in progress, but Mr Google doesn't seem very helpful here and I got bored of clicking through all the various sports with World Cups on wikipedia, trying to find one that's currently happening. So just imagine I did that and that it was amusing.
Link to 2nd most followed world cup among current occuring world cups. https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/
You are welcome.

That's... not obscure. And it's also the original World Cup that this thread was about. But I suppose I have to say "thanks" for your "you are welcome" to make any sense. So thanks I guess.

Well that was a bitterly disappointing end to what had been a surprisingly good campaign for Australia. And at least it's a semi-final loss, not a final loss; I think the gloating through the Ashes would've been far too high if this match had been the final. At least now the second best option - NZ winning - is still on the table, without that downside risk. And in years to come we can just hand wave it as being a flash in the pan down to injuries and Edgbaston rather than one side being the dominant ODI team for the last four years.

I would have been going for New Zealand either way in the final, it would have been unAustralian to go for Australia over the NZ cricket team. They are just so decent and fun and so deserving of a win.

After the CWC is done this can be a FIBA (August) and Rugby (September) World Cup thread too

Actually, women are proportionally paid TWICE MORE than men in FIFA events (13-20 % of the revenues instead of 7-9 % for the men).

Sounds like they should structure the player contracts so that players get a % of revenue straight up.

"Different revenue" is not a valid reason to mandate a different pay structure based on gender.

oh and the Netball World Cup runs from like tomorrow for a bit over a week. Netball is basically a women's only sport, the male game is virtually non-existent and not organised. It's one of the biggest participation sports in Australia and NZ along with soccer and I believe with a $30k minimum wage and $60k average wage under the salary cap, it's probably the best paying women's sport at elite level here on average, even above cricket and soccer.

It features Australia who have won 11 times, New Zealand who won 4, England who won the most recent Commonwealth Games title in a sign of their improvement, Jamaica who are probably the only other title contender, and South Africa and Malawi who are emerging threats.

The other participants include Northern Ireland, Scotland, Zimbabwe, Fiji, Singapore, Uganda, Trinidad and Tobago, Sri Lanka, Barbados and Samoa, who I hope all have fun.

The state of this sport is the English and Jamaicans are up and comers, and Australia and NZ have always had a stranglehold over things until very recently. Betting markets actually have England and Jamaica ahead of New Zealand for the title, which would have to be a first.

Last edited:
I completely forgot the Commonwealth Games were here lol, albeit in our Worst City the Gold Coast.

Yeah that was a great win. Netball desperately needed the duopoly broken, and the emergence of a bunch of other challengers is great for the sport.

Man English cricket grounds are small. This is the final and it looks like there's about 20,000 people fit in there.

A tied super over being decided by "match boundaries hit" is pretty silly wow. Why not wickets held? Or even just being higher on the ladder?

Last edited:
That was a remarkable final. I don't think it will ever be topped. It is genuinely unfathomable just how ridiculous the ending was. A shame it had to be decided on such a bizarre basis; it would've made more sense to award victory to England for finishing higher in the group stage.

Rugby World Cup warmups: "The Rugby Championship" is a Summer tournament featuring the giants of the Southern Hemisphere. Plus Argentina. I'll be checking out South Africa vs Australia, from 62,000-seat Ellis Park in Johannesburg, tomorrow morning.

Wallaby. There are many varieties; some prefer rugged terrain, others are found in cities. Can frequently be found congregating around the local watering hole.

Springbok. Feeds on succulents. Known for their unusual pronking. Adults of both sexes can be horny. Er, horned.

I'm not sure Australia are significantly better than Argentina these days. We did lose to them at home last year. Union is the 6th or 7th most popular sport here, largely restricted to private school kids in Sydney and Brisbane, and Pacific islanders.

(AFL, rugby league and cricket are the big 3, then I think soccer, netball and basketball are probably all more popular too)

So the talent pool is a bit shallow and there's not a huge amount of money in the game (average Super Rugby crowds are only about 10000). It's just that some very powerful and rich demographics are Union fans so the sport acts like they are bigger than they are.

That said, the Springboks are explicitly fielding a weak team in Joburg they can correctly prioritise playing the All Blacks, so maybe we're a chance.

Last edited:
I thought it was a more competitive game than the final score would suggest. The Aussies narrowly missed two tries, iirc, and the last South Africa try could be called "junk time" unless the extra point in the standings ends up making a difference. I didn't stick around to hear the official post-match analysis, but Herschel "Mighty Mouse" Jantjies was certainly my Man of the Match.

New Zealand pipped Australia in the netball world cup! The 16 year stranglehold is broken!

Top Bottom