World Cup 2019

Waiting for tomorrow, the 1/8 finals....

We have now the VAR... and some discussion on it.
I like it.
Not only for that 1 cm off-side or not, but also for controlling rough playing or faking being victim of that.
Male soccer has a history of being rough, and it took some time before this was "contained" at international level.

For the younger people here...
... long ago there were not yet the yellow and red card. Here a vid why and how those cards were invented by the British referee Ken Aston and his wife after Chili-Italy in 1962: "the battle of Santiago".
They were used for the first time in the World Cup 1970, but in the second vid of Brazil-Holland at the WC 1974, absolute top-teams at that time, you can see that more is needed than just those cards. It was a massacre.

Comment in English and Dutch. Subtitles in English.

Do mind... this is only a snapshot of 1 match. And only 4 yellow cards and only 1 red card. Referees need to do their jobs with clear guidelines (and a VAR in their necks)

Last edited:
I like the idea of replays, but the FIFA VAR people are way, way, way too slow. Seriously, give them a hard cap of like ten seconds for any decision.

In terms of yellow or red cards for diving or dangerous plays, award them after the match if they're both missed and egregious.

Response speed is important !
And after match corrections justified. Everybody should know that there is no escape.

The quality of the people looking at the VAR monitors is crucial.

The traditional referee walking in the field is like a general purpose manager... has to be good enough in everything.
Behind the monitors you need nerds, that do not need at all good qualities in terms of physical condition or a natural human authority or an "adult-senior age".

It will take some time before in this very conservative sport the mindsets have adapted to this tool.
One of those adaptions is that you survey for talents and train these "nerd referees" separately in their role on VAR situations. Just like aircraft pilots on a simulator.
A bit like the SF story "Ender's Game" :)

Last edited:
Debating how to manage the run into the 5am Matildas start tonight, whether to sleep and set an alarm or just power through

Debating how to manage the run into the 5am Matildas start tonight, whether to sleep and set an alarm or just power through

You give your soccer team the name of your national anthem ?

(TIL)

Yeah it was the option that won a public vote. Also the national anthem is Advance Australia Fair (and it sucks), Waltzing Matilda is just a folk song.

What a ridiculous and frustrating match. Soccer is such a rubbish sport sometimes.

On the plus side the cricket today was bonkers good, Afghanistan nearly rolling India and the Windies nearly pulling off the miracle vs NZ

Close game, the aussies fought well, but that red card was very clumsy by the defender.

Who was playing whom?
Norway - Australia. Norway won on penalty shootouts after 1-1 on full time. Australia got a handball penalty revoked after a VAR decision that took forever. Hard to say if correct or not:
Spoiler :

Could have gone both ways. I honestly thought the penalty would stay as you can argue the ball hits the upper upper arm. Would have been harsh though.

Australia got a red card during the first extra half. Up until then it was an open game but Australia IMO had the biggest chances. After it Norway dominated. Went to penalties and the aussies missed their first two and thus eventually lost.

We got lucky with the refs decisions. I don't think they were incorrect but the penalty could have stayed and the red card could have been a yellow without it necessarily would have been wrong as well.

Yeah it was the option that won a public vote. Also the national anthem is Advance Australia Fair (and it sucks), Waltzing Matilda is just a folk song.

Aaaand some of us just can't help thinking it's a Tom Waits song. Sorry.

In the extra time France scored 2-1 with a very nice goal !
10 minutes to go now

EDIT
done
France wins with 2-1 from Brazil.

Not a really convincing victory for the favorite France, but still reflecting the match.
A bit like an off-day.

Last edited:
Not a really convincing victory for the favorite France
Well, the only convincing match France produced was the first one. Since then they've felt quite a bit off-tune. I don't see them passing the next round (well, especially considering who they're going to break their teeth one).

Well, the only convincing match France produced was the first one. Since then they've felt quite a bit off-tune. I don't see them passing the next round (well, especially considering who they're going to break their teeth one).

Assuming the US will win of Spain, it will be one of the key games in the tournament... if the French team gets it act together again.

Phwoar this was a hell of a ball, just a perfect unplayable inswinging yorker, and getting Stokes out basically won us the game lol

Phwoar this was a hell of a ball, just a perfect unplayable inswinging yorker, and getting Stokes out basically won us the game lol

I think you posted in the wrong thread :p

Starc has been very impressive again. I guess we shouldn't be surprised?

I feel like it might actually be better to lose to New Zealand, just to give them some momentum going into the final game against England.

Top Bottom