World Invasion: Battle for Earth

Commodore

Deity

Obviously this scenario is based on the movie World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles. There are 30 Human Civilizations and 1 Alien. You can play as any one of the human factions or as the aliens.

All human factions are in a locked alliance against the invaders. The nations that are on the frontlines against the aliens will be the hardest to play as early on as they will have to bear the brunt of the invasion without being fully mobilized. During playtesting I found that the USA and China seem to hold their own pretty well, while the Mexicans, South Americans, British, and Pacific Islands get crushed. The Aussies take a pretty good beating too.

From what I observed during testing, the frontline nations should really just try and hold the line (easier said than done) until all the other factions mobilize to bring enough force to drive the aliens back. Basically, you have to defeat the aliens with overwhelming numbers because your units are significantly weaker than the aliens'.

Playing as the aliens, SPEED IS KEY. Make use of your Insertion Pods to out manuever the humans and disrupt their attempts to mobilize. Your units are stronger, but they won't completely dominate the battlefield. If you are not quick enough, or you get bogged down on the frontlines, the humans will overwhelm you with their numbers. Your forces are also scattered across the globe, so you will be fighting on multiple fronts. Do your best to consolidate your positions and, again, use your Insertion Pods to allow your forces in different parts of the world support each other.

One final note for the aliens: Do not let the humans retake or destroy Los Angeles. If you allow this to happen you will lose the Alien Command & Control wonder, which puts an Alien Drone Control in every city. This Drone Control auto-produces the Wedge Ship (the aircraft from the film) every five turns. So if you lose Los Angeles you lose your valuable air support, which will most certainly spell defeat for you.

Due to time constraints caused by my job and the fact that I'm about to have a baby, I needed a good scenario to act as the base-template for this one. This is why I used MeteorPunch's amazing Modern Age 2: First Strike Scenario as the base for my scenario. I would like to give him the thanks he deserves, as he is just as responsible for this scenario existing as I am.

Also for the full list of unit and graphic makers that deserve credit, check out the thread for MeteorPunch's scenario thread.

And now the link for the actual scenario: Updated World Invasion

Have fun and enjoy!

Attachments

• World Invasion.zip
    68.3 KB · Views: 596
I am posting an updated version of the World Invasion Scenario. It should be up within the hour.

I nerfed the Aliens a bit since they seemed to be sweeping through the map a little easier than I want them to. I also found that I forgot to put the Alien Command & Control wonder in Los Angeles so I corrected that.

A minor update, but it should make the scenario a little more fun to play. Feel free to post your feedback though, as that is the only way I will be able to make real improvements to the scenario.

EDIT: The update is now up.

I have one suggestion on how to make the game more challenging - make two .biq files - one where you can only play aliens (and nerf them there), and another for everyone else. Usually scenarios with two balanced sides are too easy in singleplayer.

Can't pick up Injured Soldiers, produced by M1 Abrams... perhaps because VP Scoring, Capture the Unit, and Reverse Capture the Flag aren't checked in scenario properties. ?

*** As USA, best to concentrate on air defense units, otherwise Aliens will destroy your land units extremely quickly with their air power. Patriots are best ground defense IMO. After I brought most of my forces to defend Alburquerque (Bradleys, M1s, Strykers, etc), and all 12 units got killed by air alone; now I'm scrambling to survive.

*** I'm not sure what the Aliens aircraft are called, and can't find them in the pedia since I don't see a pedia picture of the plane. Every single bombing run kills a unit (even units with 5 hitpoints die in 1 bomb run). Soon I'll have no units left on the map, and not because of land battles, but just open cities from losing every unit I build every turn. The only hope I have is that the bomb run hits something like population instead of a unit hitpoints 20 times in a row. :)

Can't pick up Injured Soldiers, produced by M1 Abrams... perhaps because VP Scoring, Capture the Unit, and Reverse Capture the Flag aren't checked in scenario properties. ?

*** As USA, best to concentrate on air defense units, otherwise Aliens will destroy your land units extremely quickly with their air power. Patriots are best ground defense IMO. After I brought most of my forces to defend Alburquerque (Bradleys, M1s, Strykers, etc), and all 12 units got killed by air alone; now I'm scrambling to survive.

*** I'm not sure what the Aliens aircraft are called, and can't find them in the pedia since I don't see a pedia picture of the plane. Every single bombing run kills a unit (even units with 5 hitpoints die in 1 bomb run). Soon I'll have no units left on the map, and not because of land battles, but just open cities from losing every unit I build every turn. The only hope I have is that the bomb run hits something like population instead of a unit hitpoints 20 times in a row. :)

I am working on another update because I noticed the same thing when I was playing last night. I decided to leave their stats as they are but I took away their lethal bombardment (land and sea). This should still keep the alien aircraft as a significant threat, but won't allow the aliens to completely annihilate you. I should have it up sometime today or tomorrow. I also halved the production cost of all human units to counter the aliens' superior units.

As for Pedia entries, I'm working on those and should have them in the scenario by the weekend. Thanks for the feedback. The alien aircraft are called Wedge Ships BTW ;) .

I have the update ready to go, but Megaupload is being difficult right now. The file uploaded fine (or so it seems) but it says the file is "temporarily unavailable." As soon as I resolve this the link in the first post will be updated.

The update is up. It should be pretty well-balanced and I added Civilopedia entries for the alien units.

I wanted to keep it all as one package, but that makes sense. I'll do that for future updates.

Alien Invasion...Here i come to invade or defend the earth mother and father sky :)

very cool scenario i really like it :)

by the way i saw that movie : World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles :)

Just downloaded now, a few comments on the map:
Some additional overseas possesions-
To Portugal-Madeira and the Azores
To France-Guadeloupe(In the Antilles) and French Polynesia
To Britain-The Falklands, and get rid of Dublin and put Belfast instead on the north part of the island.
To Indonesia(i.e) pacific defence pact-the city of Jayapura on New Guinea.

Also, Why not put Japan and Taiwan in a "Pacific Defence Pact" and have Indonesia and Southeast Asia excluding Vietnam and Laos together as ASEAN-Association of southeast Asian nations.

There seem to be a lot of places where cities have been crowded in where there is now need, like in Africa, India, and even Canada. Perhaps leave more space in between cities, and put Iqaluit, Yellowknife, and Whitehorse(territory capitals in northern Canada) with a high culture to account for Canada's size.

Anyway, I will start playing it now, and will provide some more feedback soon.

EDIT:Whoops, I got an error starting up for something like infantry IND.../paratrooper. Not the exact words but...huh.

Just downloaded now, a few comments on the map:
Some additional overseas possesions-
To Portugal-Madeira and the Azores
To France-Guadeloupe(In the Antilles) and French Polynesia
To Britain-The Falklands, and get rid of Dublin and put Belfast instead on the north part of the island.
To Indonesia(i.e) pacific defence pact-the city of Jayapura on New Guinea.

Also, Why not put Japan and Taiwan in a "Pacific Defence Pact" and have Indonesia and Southeast Asia excluding Vietnam and Laos together as ASEAN-Association of southeast Asian nations.

There seem to be a lot of places where cities have been crowded in where there is now need, like in Africa, India, and even Canada. Perhaps leave more space in between cities, and put Iqaluit, Yellowknife, and Whitehorse(territory capitals in northern Canada) with a high culture to account for Canada's size.

Anyway, I will start playing it now, and will provide some more feedback soon.

EDIT:Whoops, I got an error starting up for something like infantry IND.../paratrooper. Not the exact words but...huh.

Can you post a screenshot of the error? I'm not getting it when I start up my version (which is the same as the one I have released).

Here it is word for word:
FILE NOT FOUND

Art\Units\4 Modern Infantry EURO\..\Paratrooper\ParatrooperAttackGun.wav
The game will now exit.

Note this was slightly different than the original crash.

FILE NOT FOUND

The game will now exit.

Hmm. Some of the files must have been lost in the upload somehow. I'll reupload and we'll see if that will fix the problem.

EDIT: It has been reuploaded. I hope it works for you this time

EDIT 2: Now that I'm thinking about it: Are you using Conquests or Civ 3 Complete? I ask because I believe the file structure for each one is different which causes issues for some mods. I use Conquests 1.22, so if you are using Civ 3 Complete that might be causing the issue.

Redownloading now, and I too am using conquests 1.22.
EDIT: Arghh, Same error, except it was Modern Infantry IND instead of EURO. I can't seem to figure out the problem. The same kind of thing happened when I tried Modern Age:First Strike. It seems this is based off it, so it's probably the same thing. It's a shame, because this looks really good. Does anyone else have this same problem?

By the way, Canada(and presumably other countries') starting government is Despotism. Might want to change that.

Redownloading now, and I too am using conquests 1.22.
EDIT: Arghh, Same error, except it was Modern Infantry IND instead of EURO. I can't seem to figure out the problem. The same kind of thing happened when I tried Modern Age:First Strike. It seems this is based off it, so it's probably the same thing. It's a shame, because this looks really good. Does anyone else have this same problem?

By the way, Canada(and presumably other countries') starting government is Despotism. Might want to change that.

The scenario is based on Modern Age 2: First Strike, so that explains the governments and city placement, etc.

I'll continue to work on the problem on my end, but I honestly don't know what the problem could be. I have been unable to reproduce the error, and no one else has reported any errors either.

I will also ask around the forums for you and see if anyone here can help out.

@Bengal Tiger : When the problem appears when you are entering the game or when you are clicking something i might try that to see if it happens to me

Well i started a game as Aliens and i don't have any problems for now

FILE NOT FOUND

The game will now exit.

Usually a folder-within-a-folder problem causes an error with an improvement, not a unit or unit sound... but might be something to check just in case.

Unzip/Unrar programs can duplicate the main folder, perhaps check to make sure the mod folder doesn't contain a duplicate.

I've checked everything I can think of, the file path seems perfectly in order. I don't want to focus all the conversation on my error, it seems to be only affecting me, so go on about the scenario itself. I'll see if I can figure out what's wrong, or if anyone else has ideas they can tell me.

I've checked everything I can think of, the file path seems perfectly in order. I don't want to focus all the conversation on my error, it seems to be only affecting me, so go on about the scenario itself. I'll see if I can figure out what's wrong, or if anyone else has ideas they can tell me.

I set up a thread in the main Creation & Customization forum if you want to continue there.

Top Bottom