World map mod question

Theov

Deity
Hi,
I am making a world map scenario off of my mod. I already have changed some civs. The celts, hittites and sumerians are now the Sioux, Taiwanese and Austrians.
This makes Europe a bit more crowded, but adds some flavor to America... the Taiwanese have a hard time getting off of their island... but in the other hand, so would the Celts.

Now, Byzantine and the Ottomans have basically the same starting location, but with a different name with the Greeks and Persians next door... making this area really really crowded.
Africa has the Zulus in the south and Carthage and Egypt in the North, leaving a big gap in the middle. South america only has the Incas and perhaps the Aztecs if they go there. Australia is empty.

I am thinking of replacing the Ottomans with an African civ...

Which one would you replace with whom?

Yeah all leaderheads should be 4 era... thanks.
Ansar made a full civ :) which looks good with a Tunesian Musketeer as UU... Balam Agab also made a unit pack where I can take a UU from.
And I need a new function for the Ottoman Sipahi.

Last edited:
I also found an Angolan LH and a Mali LH. Ethiopia is a bit too close to Egypt, so going with one of these or the Kanem Bornu one. I did not find the other ones you mentioned.

Perhaps go further and add Australia for one of the mid eastern civs or European ones, but need to see which one.

Last edited:
You can find the Kanem-Bornu leader Mai Idris Alooma in CivArmy s. 1994´s great 'The Golden Hordes Mod'.

Attachments

• IdrisAlooma.jpg
    IdrisAlooma.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 265
Yes found Kanem-Bornu:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/full-kanem-bornu-civilization.1363/
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/armies-of-africa-kanem-bornu.571957/

and Benin:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/oba-ewuare-of-benin-empire-3d-anim-era.129576/

Angola is a good candidate:
Ekuikui: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/angolan-leader-here-3d-animated-era-specific-icons.92192/
Nzinga: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/nzinga-of-angola.128738/

Or Mali:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/mansa-musa-of-mali-june-2006.174352/

These are all West-African civilizations that would fill a big gap in Africa and gives some space to Austria, Babylon, the Byzantines and Persia.

I did not find the Dahomey and Yoruba.

I will fill the gap somewhere this week and post a World Map scenario of my mod.
If anyone has a good idea let me know.

Kanem-bornu and Nzinga/Matamba are added! I sarcificed the Ottomans and Portuguese for it as they made the region too crowded.

Something tells me this will turn into an african culture group on a special earth mod/scenario.
So if anyone knows more good African Leaderheads, or good other LHs let me know.
I found the LH library and an african city pack and will be adding an African U ique Unit and popheads.

Last edited:
Kanem-bornu and Nzinga/Matamba are added! I sarcificed the Ottomans and Portuguese for it as they made the region too crowded.

Something tells me this will turn into an african culture group on a special earth mod/scenario.
So if anyone knows more good African Leaderheads, or good other LHs let me know.
I found the LH library and an african city pack and will be adding an African U ique Unit and popheads.
Since the unreliability of the current search system means finding everything "the hard way" having a list of what you already have would help focus what support we can give you.

results of a three hour search:

The library links to at least some of the LHs by Rob, Shiro, and CivArmy - the big three in LH creation imho. In Shiro's "Older Heads" are some you may have overlooked.

This is a fairly long list of possible units - keep in mind that by using flavor units you can have Africans with identical stats to the generic but with different graphics. Also, the posted names are more restrictive than the appearances. Just because something is listed by the maker as "Ethiopian" (for example) it could very well be a good looking unit for other African civs. Especially in West Africa there was a succession of kingdoms & regional empires - there was probably more continuity of culture than the names might suggest. The other thing about units is that a lot of the generic names are similar if not identical. But the units themselves have a lot of variety – leopard skin armor on one, lion head helmet on another, civ-colored jewelry, and so on.

CivArmy's and Balam-Agab's units are not in the list since you probably already know about them. You refer to his unit pack (singular), but Balam-Agab has actually made many “Armies of Africa” sets which go up through industrial era. They are each in separate threads. There is also his more tribal “Africa” set which - amongst many fine units – has a Mbuti (sometimes referred to as Pigmy) crossbowman which is very unique - and his Maasai lion hunter in that thread as well.

The list does not include units specifically named as Zulu since (based on your post) I guess you already have those. OTOH there are some units such as an American Civil War infantry that made the list as potential generics since there are virtually no uniformed pre-20th c. African units available.

In no particular order:

Cavalry
Even though the West Africans used them, cavalry units can be hard to find. Similarly to the European knights, West African cavalry were often elite nobility and would be accompanied by the stereotypical non-armored infantry. I've left out the couple of Zebra-mounted units since they are so ahistorical.
Ethiopian Horseman has one style of armor which was also used by Songhai, Bamana & other West African groups.
Songhai Knight is another style.
Based on similarities in armor/clothing/weapons seen in contemporary images... from this pack the following could serve as cavalry from Renaissance through early gunpowder era: Bedouin Horseman, Umayyad Horseman,Fatimid Horseman, Khwarezmian Horseman, Ayyubid Tawashi Horseman.
And from this pack: Almoravid Horse Javelinman, Almohad Horse Javelinman, (the look, not sure how historical javelin throwing is)​

Infantry
Maasai Warrior
Madjai Archer
Axum Spearman
Koori Spearman & Koori Dartman - these are Australian but could certainly serve as African and the dartman would be a truly unique UU.
African Javelineer
Ethiopian Javelineer
Horn of Africa Spear Dudes
East African Sword Dudes
Several possibilities for Settlers Workers in another thread - couldn't track it down..
African Archers
Benin Warriors
Idrisid Settler & Worker
Renaissance African Musketeers (17th c. according to the download page) imho the Ethiopian one could serve very well as an Industrial Era King, Leader or other special/champion type of unit for any African civ.
Call of the Tribes includes a nice three unit African set.
Lion Warrior
Songhai Knight
African Pikeman
African Zouaves
African-American WW1 Infantry
Senegalese Rifleman
American Civil War African-American Infantry

Artillery
not aware of any specifically Sub-Saharan artillery units. I thought someone had finally made a zamburak (gattling gun mounted on a camel) but couldn't find it.

Finally, The Desert and the Mountain - Empires of Africa, Plotinus' mod, contains a lot of graphics of all kinds which you may find useful. Some you probably already have or are in the list, but there are some gems in there that may not be posted separately.

Last edited:
I found the desert and mountain mod but it disappeared from my computer when I moved it to the games folder. Now I dont know if its somewhere hidden on my computer or not... do you run into this problem?
I am particulary interested in the popheads and graphics... R8 made african popheads but am not such a big fan of the male african pophead.
I found LHs.
I found african cities.

My plan is to have 5 african civs as a culture group replacing the mid eastern with playing on Earth in mind. Or not if one wants.
The Zulus are there already. Carthage and Egypt can stay in the mediterranean culture group.
I already replaced the Ottomans and Portuguese already with the KaremBornu and Nzinga.
I need a central african and a eastern african one.

I am not a big fan of many flavor units.
My mod does have culture group unique units and a unique building though as it has a special tech for each culture group.
Many thanks. The african tribes DO need unique units!

Kongo (central) & Maasai (Eastern) are the two chosen for the Dark Continent mod. The brief descriptions of them - as well as Songhai/Bambara - are historically based, not steampunk fantasy.

EDIT: The ones in that map were designed as the major powers - this is a more complete set. I've removed a couple from the map that have no historical basis.

Last edited:
Top Bottom