World Map not looking so great?

Zechnophobe

Strategy Lich
I was just thinking about this in my last game or so. I've uh, played 'other' turn based historical strategy games that generate random globes. For right now I won't spoil which ones.

But on these, you'd have some pretty serious looking terrain. Huge bands of desert and jungles in the equator, icey reaches at the poles. Interesting stuff in the middle. In fact the highly resourceful equatorial region would be very useless early game, but absolutely awesome late game.

I was just thinking that civ 5 doesn't seem to really have that feel. I mean, it has ice at the north and south, but the center of the map doesn't really have much going on. Marsh thrown around seemingly at random. A jungle tile here or there, a forest or two. How often do you see a full on jungle that's really big, or a forest covering half a continent?

Just doesn't feel alive to me.

First off, why are you refusing to tell us what game you're comparing it to? Seems kind of.. Anyway

Try editing map settings and options. Have you done any tweaking at all?

I agree the standard map generator needs a bit of tweaking. The maps aren't quite climatic enough. That landmass and mountains are overall a lot better shapes and more realistic though.

Top Bottom