World map on deity

Mr Adeoye

Chieftain
Does anyone here bother to play on the standard world map on demi-god/deity or above?
It seems to me that the starting positions are pretty poor and on such high levels it's difficult to make up for it.

If you mean std size, yes I use them. If you are not happy wiht the start locations, there is a tool to select maps based on some criteria. I forget the name. I think Moonsinger created it and I am sure it can be found in the utilities forum.

I don't use it, but I know many have and like it.

That depends on how the customization is done. There are customized maps that are loaded with good starting positions for everyone, but the assumption is that everyone will be at war shortly. Then there are customized maps where the starting positions are so-so, but all of the goodies are surrounded by hordes of barbarians. Probably the best way to do it is generate a map, and then do a bit of customizing yourself, to fit it to what you are looking for. The best scenario map that I have found so far is the Age of Discovery scenario in Civ3Complete, and one of the best customized maps I have found is the Turkhan series in the Civ3Complete Content selection. Some of the other ones are pretty good but boobytrapped in some way or another. A good short game is the Dinobarbs one, with good starting locations.

Mr Adeoye said:
Does anyone here bother to play on the standard world map on demi-god/deity or above?
It seems to me that the starting positions are pretty poor and on such high levels it's difficult to make up for it.
Pretty poor? If this is the same standard world map I'm thinking of, each start has 2+ food bonuses, lots of bonus grasslands, and most have fresh water.

I know the first couple of cities are in good positions but after that there stretches of desert( if you start on the subcontinent) or woodlandS (northwest america) and this is no good for land grab as you have to go futher and further away from the capital at an early stage. And as you know on demigod and above the AI churns out a new city every few turns.

Mr Adeoye said:
would you say world maps are harder than the customized maps?

I can't address that as I still do not know what is meant by world map. To me I think of Marla and other specail maps map to look like the contients in the real world. I suspect that is not what you are talking about.

If you mean just any map that the game give you, then I think most do it that way. The main ones that do not are HoF attempts, where they will require a map with at least a certain number of tiles or the attempt cannot suceed.

They do not "customize the map, if you mean make your own. I guess the premise of th tool is that you can do it your self and just abandom maps that do not look like what you want. So this tool saves them the time of generating thm, playing until they can see it is not going to work.

I always felt that HoF games are artificial and do not use that method. I do not consider it to be cheating or anything, I just don't care to work that hard to get a score.

Does that anwser the question or am I lost?

I'm a little lost too, but I think he means the Earth maps. I haven't encountered any I liked.

I used to play the earth map all the time in vanilla. I would play a game on the earth map whenever I felt I was ready to move up a level. It is a good way to benchmark your skills against a known quanity. None of the starts are too awful except africa.

Top Bottom