World Maps

arc anjil

Chieftain
Hi there.

Very casual player here, but I have a Q. Why do all the maps have so many jungles? I've tried wet, dry, cold, hot, young, old. Every time, I get so many jungles. Everywhere.

I've read some of the threads here that point to custom made maps. I'm not sure I should try getting into something like that myself, but if anyone has any ideas on how to minimize jungles or at least deal with them in a way that doesn't cost so much in worker time of building roads through, clearing them, etc, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

Hi there.

Very casual player here, but I have a Q. Why do all the maps have so many jungles? I've tried wet, dry, cold, hot, young, old. Every time, I get so many jungles. Everywhere.

I've read some of the threads here that point to custom made maps. I'm not sure I should try getting into something like that myself, but if anyone has any ideas on how to minimize jungles or at least deal with them in a way that doesn't cost so much in worker time of building roads through, clearing them, etc, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!
I feel your pain man. Clearing jungle can be a pain. You'd wish you could just nuke the place to level it.
This has something to do with your selection of civs. If you pick an american (iroqois, aztec etc) civ, you will be put between jungles more.
Uncheck cultural linked start - since this seems to add more american civs.
If you start of with Egyptians or Zulu, you will have more deser, seafaring near water, russians in forests, aliens won't be on earth etc.
Maybe I'm off - that the world is made first and you're put on later... or that the civs on it determine the terrain too. I don't know what comes first.
Try another type of civ - one that historically didn't had much jungle - and you'll probably see a different terrain.

AND WELCOME!
:rockon::band::hammer::band::eekdance:

Welcome to the forums! :thumbsup::band::dance:[party]:dance:

I think that quite a few maps have jungles in the tiles that are close to the equator, and more tundra in tiles that are close to the poles. So, if your starting area has frequently been located near the equator, you have to deal with the jungles.

Do you frequently choose one tribe/civ to play? IIRC, the seafaring tribes in C3C always start near an ocean -- that may or may not keep you away from jungles.

I normally play temperate, wet, 5 billion. Jungle is a fact of life in computer made maps. You can choose a more arid climate, or cold, but those aren't the maps I like to play. Eventually, you'll get maps with less Jungle than normal in them. That does make for a better game. Jungle resources can usually show up in forests also, so they'll still be around.

In the Super Tribes PBEM game I put together, I used the editor to search for a decent map. I just kept telling the program to keep creating a map until I saw one with great land formations (like maybe a large sea in the equator region :) )Unable to find what I was looking for, I chose a map that looked pretty decent and saved it to the biq I created. Then I altered the map by replacing a lot of the Jungle with Bonus Grasslands. (I can't stand too much Jungle either.) I also reduced the amount of Tundra. So that's an option for you also. I play with Huge Panagaea maps. So my guidelines for a good map may differ from yours.

I pre-generate maps in the editor, pick the starting location I want, and then load. That allows me to avoid bad starting locations.

Two things to keep in mind, though. Jungles are a pain, but they can also be the source of a lot of important resources.

The second thing to remember is that as much of a pain jungles are for you, they are even worse for AI opponents. AI opponents are bad at developing the land anyway; it seems like they never get around to clearing wetlands. An AI that starts in the midst of a lot of wetlands is totally screwed.

Thanks, all! Pretty quick responses from what I'm used to at RaceRoom or F1 Classic (I do a lot of RACE 07 stuff...).

I don't know how to use an editor, never really looked into it. I'll check the forum threads for that stuff, but I'll probably have a lot of Q's about that, LOL.

I use a Huge map (I like to create BIG civs) and kinda stick to continents where I get a lot of land. I like to try and "box in" any other civ I come across, keep them in their own territory and out of mine. I'll load a map, quickly get some Scouts out and check out as much as I can. If I run into too much jungle too soon, I restart.

I like forests, but it doesn't ever seem like there's very much of them. I also stick with American (too lazy to change, but I should try something else soon).

Again, thanks!

There is a couple of good videos on 'You Tube' about the in game editor and its basic functions. Just type in modding I guess. :think:

It happens, I'm currently playing a Archepelego map where I've started on a large island (2 other civs) that is about 60% jungle, 10% forrest and 10% desert. Ive got an abundence of food (bonus tiles) and so have been able to churn out large numbers of settlers having the advantage that I dont need to pay to keep people entertained, build contentment buildings or worry about riots in all but a couple of towns. Only downside is a few towns are already falling to disease.

Only downside is a few towns are already falling to disease.

I get that, too! And even after I painstakingly (and time-consuming-ly) remove all the jungle from the tiles adjacent to the town itself. Even if there is only one jungle tile anywhere in the vicinity. I don't want to remove all the jungle. Like MysteryX said, they can hold vital resources.

:crazyeye: (never have seen this emoticon B4. It's so me!)

It's even more irritating for me because I simply don't like chopping down every living thing.

I quite like the concept of 'preservation'...

I spend most of my pleasure games trying to get to the AI civs before they get a chance to annihilate 90% of the world's species!

If you chop down the jungle, it still has whatever resources it has. If a resource depletes, it can't respawn on chopped jungle, but you don't lose whatever was originally there.

If you want to use the Map Editor just to preview a map before you play to see if you like it, and pick your starting location if you want to, you don't need to know much about the editor.

To generate the map: Map -> Generate Map -> (Select world size, land form, climate, age, etc.) -> Ok

If you don't like the map, repeat the process.

If you want to choose which of the starting locations you want (blue circles), just right-click on a blue circle, and then: Reassign -> Player 1 -> Ok

Then you save the map and load it from the content menu in the game.

You really don't need to spend a lot of time learning how to use the editor unless you want to start doing things like using custom rules.

If you want to use the Map Editor just to preview a map before you play to see if you like it, and pick your starting location if you want to, you don't need to know much about the editor.

To generate the map: Map -> Generate Map -> (Select world size, land form, climate, age, etc.) -> Ok

If you don't like the map, repeat the process.

If you want to choose which of the starting locations you want (blue circles), just right-click on a blue circle, and then: Reassign -> Player 1 -> Ok

Then you save the map and load it from the content menu in the game.

You really don't need to spend a lot of time learning how to use the editor unless you want to start doing things like using custom rules.

=== you can also reduce the % rate on illness for Cities that is produced by swamps and Jungles. Default is at 50% I think. Also you can reduce the amount of turns it takes to chop down the Jungle, drain the swamps etc.:cool:

=== Good to know that the resources will remain after the jungle is removed.:coffee:

Funny, in my current game, there's not much jungle at all on my continent - either that, or India was really good at clearing it. But, it is an Arid map.

Is it just me, or is disease frequency also fairly heavily influenced by the number of years per turn? I was getting hammered with disease from flood plains from 4000 to 2000 BC, such that it was a legitimate hindrance on expansion and helped me end up with less land than any of my neighbors (and it was at the default 50% strength). But now that it's well into the ADs, disease is hardly a problem at all, despite many more flood plains (and two cities' worth of jungle) being under production.

Thanks, MysteryX. Good to know the Map Editor (ME) can be used by beginners like me.

AS to MPK's statement about resources remaining after you clear: does this hold true for future resources not yet known (like rubber, etc.)? I wouldn't think so, although I've seen saltpeter and horses appear on tiles already mined or irrigated.

I've always had the problem of Mass Transit and Recycling Centers not doing much to clean up pollution. I always got tons of pollution until I realized not every city needs a Factory. Pollution is a part of life but why does CIV3 have so much (LOL)?

Ever notice how the AI civs are so nice to each other? They can transit each other's territory without a RoP for many, many turns with no retaliation. You try it and get an immediate warning! I also notice that the civ's cities area of cultural influence is much more than the players for the same size city (and less cultural items!).
Anything else that the civs can do that you can't?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Uhhhh.... I'm not sure about the Map Editor. I looked in Downloads\Utililties, etc. But there are a number of items that could be it. Which one do I use to edit plain vanilla CIV3 (no expansion packs)?

I have so many more Q's but I don't want to come off like a newbie. I like to get a few answers and then go explore some more.

Thanks, MysteryX. Good to know the Map Editor (ME) can be used by beginners like me.
Yes, with a little effort, anyone can edit the game to their liking, and chage it (or create a new game/map) as much as they want.

AS to MPK's statement about resources remaining after you clear: does this hold true for future resources not yet known (like rubber, etc.)? I wouldn't think so, although I've seen saltpeter and horses appear on tiles already mined or irrigated.
Everything on the map is based on the tiles. Each tile is set to certain options, such as is it a starting location for a player (human or AI), which terrain feature it has, what kind of overlay, and does it contain a resource.

The game gives you the opportunity to modify tiles in different ways (roading it, removing forest/jungle, irrigation, etc). Just because you modify the tile, doesn't mean you remove one of the components of the tile, such as a resource. Unless you delete the resource with the Editor before the game starts, it will remain as part of the tile.

I've always had the problem of Mass Transit and Recycling Centers not doing much to clean up pollution. I always got tons of pollution until I realized not every city needs a Factory. Pollution is a part of life but why does CIV3 have so much (LOL)?
Pollution is also population-based. If your cities reach size twelve, your probably creating enough pollution that building Mass Transits will make your MicroManaging hours less tedious. 4 pollution shields on the city screen can trigger pollution clean up. I always take my cities beyond size twelve and build Factories where I can. If one of my cities is size 12 or more and doesn't have Mass Transit, then MT is a priority.

Ever notice how the AI civs are so nice to each other? They can transit each other's territory without a RoP for many, many turns with no retaliation. You try it and get an immediate warning! I also notice that the civ's cities area of cultural influence is much more than the players for the same size city (and less cultural items!).
Anything else that the civs can do that you can't?
Well, let's see... Other than making you pay for their closed door Swap Meet trading sessions and their free travel across borders (with or w/o ROPs), they know the entire map at the beginning of the game, to include all resources. They are aware of new Barb Camps appearing on the map (will even try to walk across water, if on a different land mass, to get to them). They can sense when one of your cities is ungarrisoned. And more, that don't come to mind right now. You are playing a computer. The computer has to know all of these things to be able to put it on the screen. The fact that the AI can use this knowledge is the gaming industries reasoning for what constitutes Artificial Intelligence. If humans could truly come up with something that resembled AI, then these advantages (I call it cheating) wouldn't be necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Uhhhh.... I'm not sure about the Map Editor. I looked in Downloads\Utililties, etc. But there are a number of items that could be it. Which one do I use to edit plain vanilla CIV3 (no expansion packs)?

I have so many more Q's but I don't want to come off like a newbie. I like to get a few answers and then go explore some more.
The Editor came with Conquests. I can't stand playing Vanilla, I suggest you stick to Conquests. If you have Civiliztion 3 Complete (or some version of Conquests), just click on your start button and go to All Programs>Firaxis Games>C3C Edition>Conquests Editor.

Don't worry about appearing as a newbie. Ask away.

Oh, man. Oh, man, Oh, man!

OK. I found the editor for the plain vanilla C3 (sorry, guys. It's all I have for now). Editing terrain and adding/deleting resources and start locations was a breeze. But now I've got the Custom Rules enabled and there are all kinds of things like levels for rioting and advancement, movements, etc.

Not sure I want to change any of them (for now), but what would be a good thing to change? I wish the movement for ships on the seas was more - they take so long to get around on a huge map. Can I set it so disease is not so prevalent near flood plains (though I irrigate those) and jungles (which I pretty much eliminated except near the middle (equator)?

Thanks for all your help, guys, although my wife is wondering why I'm staying up so late recently....
:crazyeye:

Oh, man. Oh, man, Oh, man!

OK. I found the editor for the plain vanilla C3 (sorry, guys. It's all I have for now). Editing terrain and adding/deleting resources and start locations was a breeze. But now I've got the Custom Rules enabled and there are all kinds of things like levels for rioting and advancement, movements, etc.

Not sure I want to change any of them (for now), but what would be a good thing to change? I wish the movement for ships on the seas was more - they take so long to get around on a huge map. Can I set it so disease is not so prevalent near flood plains (though I irrigate those) and jungles (which I pretty much eliminated except near the middle (equator)?

Thanks for all your help, guys, although my wife is wondering why I'm staying up so late recently....

arc anjil, there exists a very good mod for Civ 3 Vanilla, done by BTB. You can find this mod here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=323661

I see in the Editor's Rules World Sizes tab a "Optimal Number of Cities (corruption)". It is set to 32. Will increasing this number reduce corruption in the cities farther from the capitol (more than 32 cities)?

Also, I'm trying to find a way to reduce pollution (it is such a pain!). I understand that it is part of life, so it's a part of the game, but it just seems excessive (does type of government affect this? I usually play Republic). But I see nothing in any of the Rules tabs.

I see in the Editor's Rules World Sizes tab a "Optimal Number of Cities (corruption)". It is set to 32. Will increasing this number reduce corruption in the cities farther from the capitol (more than 32 cities)?

Also, I'm trying to find a way to reduce pollution (it is such a pain!). I understand that it is part of life, so it's a part of the game, but it just seems excessive (does type of government affect this? I usually play Republic). But I see nothing in any of the Rules tabs.

The more specific questions about using the editor may be more appropriate for the Creation & Customization forum (which may have sticky threads with links to FAQs or tutorials as well).

I do know the answer to the first question though, and yes, the optimal number of cities sets the break point at which corruption starts getting severe. The larger the number, the more cities you can have with minimal corruption.

Top Bottom