World of Tanks Beta

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by MobBoss, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Tykinruoka

Tykinruoka Unlimited power

Sometimes the spotting is fairly ridiculous with KV. There's been multiples instances where enemy tanks are invisible to me on the open ground and they can keep shooting me and I can't see them(Crew 100%). Latest was in Karelia, where a tiger drove from behind a rock in front of me and started shooting. The only way I know this is because I saw it earlier while it was driving towards the rock and disappeared when it got behind it. When it drove back into my "view" it drove over a tree. I saw the tree fell and then started taking hits to front and eventually got destroyed but never saw the tank.

2. Rheinmetall

Rheinmetall Interplanetary Assassin

I think the main issue with the 122mm gun on the IS is the accuracy, and it really hurts you if you miss because of the poor rate of fire.

On a side note, I think KV-13 has better credit multiplier than the other mediums of the same tier, because I regularly get 30-40k games (premium), even though the 85mm gun does really poor damage. Getting 40k out of DB is a rarity even if you do well.

3. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Couple of things. You can always toss some binocs on to help out with that. Also, the IS has a fairly low profile for a heavy tank, so sometimes it can hide in a bush pretty good. If you think your getting spotted too much too early, then buy a camo net to help out.

Well, you gotta consider the profile of the KV in comparison to the other tanks against you...

Also, its hard to comment on what you cant see. In your above discription, that tiger could very well have had a td or small med spotting for him to help him see you while you didnt have any such help at all. Which goes back to my point about being out along unsupported as a heavy. You need meds around you to help you spot. If you dont have them, what you just described will happen.

As to the accuracy issue, thats why in a heavy you never, ever fire on the run, unless its a guranteed hit up close. My tactic in a heavy is to stop, aim until reticle is at its utter minimum, then fire, then move up to close if I need to or fall back as the situation dictates. But I hardly ever fire with anything but a fully minimized reticle.

4. Tykinruoka

I usually don't go in alone without support because I know the limitations of the KV, but these few cases are anomalies. I may have described the Karelia incident too vaguely, but the issue was the range. It's hard to estimate range in a game, but the tiger was in the same grid sector as me and maybe 3 KV's lenghts away. It should have clearly been visible.

5. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

KV and KV3 are blind as a bat with there very small spot range. (320?-340?)
    Get up close and personal where possible to overcome this handicap, move forward or backwards as needed.

I need tips with my DB as I really need to get to the Panther tank in time for the patch.
    Is the engine worth the XP ? aka will it help me earn exp for the investment cost to unlock it
    Dose anyone run with the 10.5 ?
    Is anyone else finding that the 88 pens a lot more then its pen stat should otherwise do ?

I feel it is really underpowered against the 100mm of the Russian medium line. The accuracy is nice though especially when compared with the Russian heavies.

6. Rheinmetall

DB plays a lot like T-34 especially after the engine upgrades. Against lower tier and same tier tanks with low end guns you can count on your front armor to take some of the punishment. Use your speed to get into position and take a few shots at the enemy, then relocate before they can return fire. If you're mid or low tier in a match, accompany heavies if possible and try to help them by flanking the enemy. I use the 88 and carry 50/50 loadout of AP/HE. It's a lot more fun to play if you upgrade the engine. DB can fight badly played T7 heavies on it's own, but it's risky. Because of the 88's poor penetration always try to flank the enemy, and never let them shoot your own sides & rear.

7. MobBoss

I would play it like a fast sniper....i.e. move quick to get into a good position and then use your far more accurate gun to get some shots in before you are forced to retreat. Lots of people use the German line to pretty good effect like that.

The big HE gun calls for a different tactical mindset however. Its a knife fighters weapon, and you have to get in close, and try to get to their sides/rear for maximum effect. I would only go this option if you are really trying to get the most speed out of the tank that you can. I wouild also use this if you find out you are getting pulled up into a lot of higher tier fights where the 88mm seems next to useless. If your intent is to not elite the tank and simply move past it, probably not a viable option for you.

8. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

KV "Blind as a bat"?

I just got Top Gun, Steel Wall, and Reaper all in one game with my KV! (and 25 credits); W0000T1!

(I was the top tier tank which says what tiers I was reaping though)

On moving up close with the KV, I find that is pretty risky against the right medium, like a even an M4 can man me if the driver knows how crappy the KV-2 turret is and how to drive and counter a KV's reverse-and-traverse-to- bring-the-gun-to-bear. Three to four hits from the M4 gun and the KV is toast. I prefer to snipe and backpeddle with the KV if I feel a medium is close to flanking me, though if you are a sure shot and are anticipating their movement/stealth approach you might just "track" the flanker first.

I agree with Mobboss about almost never shooting before the reticule is minizimed.

9. GoodGame

*BUMP*

US gamers can now join the Euro playtest server for the coming patches that'll move the panther and add the E-150. And you get free "play" gold to test drive on that server.

It requires a download: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/50976-public-test-v66-is-available/
    I'm downloading.....

It sounds like they carbon copy your regular server stats so no need to play up from tier 1 from scratch.

10. Rheinmetall

I usually aim with minimized reticle, but the 122mm gun is so inaccurate it sometimes misses even then. I only shoot without proper aim if the enemy is about to get into cover and I'm not going to get a second chance or if I'm making evasive maneuvers up close.

11. GoodGame

Howitzers have that problem even if you finagle as much of an aiming bonus as possible. You pretty much have fire them at much closer range than a gun (107mm). If you want to have fun with a howitzer, I recommend the T82 (USA). It's even more fun than a howitzer on the M2 medium (USA).

12. FriendlyFire

You do know that even with 100% commander the spotting range is less then the description ? In you KV the turret shows a view range of 360 meters, in reality though even with 100% commander your view range is only about 320 or so.

Look up my KV stats "WMD"

I am really burnt out rushing to the Panther tank in time for the patch. Though I think it is at least 1 week away. I have a feeling that the easy grind on the DB is due to playing a tier 7 tank and the match making being kind. Very easy time in the DB once I had the turret and 88.

Next task is getting to the T34 from my T32

13. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

friendly fire is WMD?

I see you ingame occasionally, why don't you say hi? :c

14. MobBoss

Only about 30k out from my T34. Should be there in a couple of days.

15. GoodGame

6.6 is coming very soon according to the news. Probably the beta server will be shut down too. Related, there'll be two new German premium tanks. One is a light scout like the P-35(t) and the other is some kind of medium that sounds like the opposite of a Churchill (fast, moderate armor, ok gun). I think it'll be Tier 5 also. The T-15 and the T-25.

I'm saving up for a KV-3. Just another 800K.

16. FriendlyFire

I hate Arty so much

I was playing my DB on Ensk and the game was in late stages with both side having taken a few loses. I had managed to catch a lone american T28 TD by himself.

I put a round in hes rear and quickly before he turned around parked myself Parallel against him preventing him from turning. He tried to get out by moving forward slowly grinding our tanks I followed, He tried to move back, I followed preventing him from escaping. So completely stuck he gave up trying to get out as I put shell after shell into hes side armor chipping away hes health.

Next thing BAM my tank explodes. I think one of the enemy must have went to the aid of there strickened and trapped TD. But then I noticed a nice big -1 next to our arty.

D:

17. GoodGame

Haha. Arty Nooobs. My best FF was when I was new to the game on one of the outdoor maps. All zoomed in on the overhead. Hiding in the bushes. Fired at a target. Didn't realize I torched an ally who parked about 10 feet from me. I was liek LOLZ ooops Sorry Mah Bad.

18. Rheinmetall

A similar thing happened to my friend not that long ago in komarin. He was behind the road with a sturmpanzer and fired at a target, then wondering where his shell went. Since I had already perished and followed him from the third person I told him it hit the turret side of a friendly KV who just drove across his line of fire when he pulled the trigger.

19. Tykinruoka

I play arty a lot and always avoid shooting too close to friendly tanks even if I could possibly save someone from certain destruction. Especially with hummel the shots often stray so much that I might end up hitting allies. What bothers me the most is that some arty players don't know how to use direct fire properly.

20. MobBoss

Yeah, the bigger arty that has some decent splash needs to watch out for those kind of situations. When I play arty I wouldnt fire at that situation, but I might watch it to see if the TD escaped you or got aid himself.

And yeah, when I'm playing my heavies or TDs I really hate arty. But when I'm playing arty I really sympathize with it. :lol:

Arty has been nerfed all to hell actually. My hit percentage in it is barely a third to a quarter of my other tanks, even tho I try to take higher percentage shots and never, ever fire without a fully reduced reticle.

I cant tell you how frustrating it is to see a tank you could crush with a direct hit fill up 80% of your target box only to miss it time after time after time. And with such a long reload on the bigger guns, it makes it even worse.

Arty is very often feast or famine. If the random number generator results are with you, you can easily get a confederate or top gun and crush a lot of tanks. Far more often is you miss a lot and tear up a lot of dirt.

The other thing I hate about arty is teams that go totally to one flank or the other, leaving your arty in the rear totally open for a rush. Or the idiot who thinks parking right next to you is somehow 'protecting' you, when in all actuality, he is just making it easy for a scout to spot you.

Out of the 4 classes of tank, arty has to be the most frustrating to play, because you can still do every single thing right, and still do poorly because of the inaccuracy of your gun.