World of Tanks Beta

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by MobBoss, Aug 13, 2010.

1. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Rather than sell the Russian heavies, I'd just buy the extra garage slot when they are 1/2 price (been like that twice this summer already).

Though I admit having 17 slots is way more tanks than I need to play in a day. OTOH, if/when garage battles come out (single tank spawn per garage slot all in one battle) I'll be ahead of you guys! :p

On the US line,
    I kind of wonder if T29 is a better investment than T34 though. What you guys think? T29 is the best US heavy in the line for credit grinding?

Found this in the Twitter channel for the Abrams' quiz: (Warning: Non-hetzing Hetzer)

2. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

I agree that the T29 with the 105 is an excellent credit maker. In my opinion its probably the best tier 7 in the game. In saying that I remember a time on Abbey where I was lead tank going down the east (lower) road on the edge of the map and we ran into about 2x our number. As I saw them around that first bend, I started backing up, and a friendly KV got popped right in front of me creating a really nice hull down position for me. Needless to say I held the road solo, and killed every single one of the 5 tanks coming at me. They just couldnt penetrate that big armored turret to any real degree while I popped one after another of them.

So yeah, excellent credit maker, but as in all things, you gotta use its strengths to get the most out of it.

3. bigdog5994

bigdog5994 Lady Day

you guys have to get the Chaffee is it the most amazing tier 5 ever

4. GoodGame

Here's a T29 video I shot to test out the "Overwolf" package Wargaming.net wanted people to test.

IDK, but it only records in 320p, I think.
    I like this video because it's the new map (Fisherman's bay) and I improvise a hull-down position after getting clocked by a Lowe. It's a nice way to return the favor to the Lowe's commander.
    Also this one has a happy ending.

Link to video.

5. Arexander

Arexander Trucker

i tried the Overwolf too but my computer is so bad that the video lags a lot. I don't think I'm going to use the Overwolf with my current computer, maybe later when I hopefully get a new one.

6. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Better then the KV with the 107mm ?
    I had a quick look at the stats, nothing special. Fill us in !!!

7. GoodGame

I have a 450 GTS and a reasonably fast cable internet connection, and still Overwolf definitely lags on it, but not too bad in the frame rates. I'm pretty sure the main reason is that it is streaming the video capture to a third website (the Overwolf website) which is effectively splitting the internet signal, which creates lag.

The videos look un-lagged, but there's definitely like a 0.5 to 1 second extra delay to playing when using Overwolf, which isn't really critical if you are playing using a relatively slow heavy tank like a T29. It might actually help. Also there's like a 10 minute delay for uploading video to Youtube for the processing. And I can't figure how to get the audio capture other than the user's mic speak (e.g. the mic speak of other people in the platoon, and the game sounds).

Still not bad for making clan training videos.

8. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

More penetration with an equal RPM and damage of the US tier 5 TD, the Wolverine. It's much quicker and more agile, and doesn't sacrifice any armor (they both lack any).

9. GoodGame

Another platoon video with some of my clan. Himmelsdorf with a medium rush (all E8's) with a wrench thrown in because the whole team copies our idea, and hill rushes. I turn around when the enemy starts capping, to earn defender, and my death. Happy Ending!

Link to video.

10. bigdog5994

bigdog5994 Lady Day

umm it would rape the crap out of a kv with a 107

when your in a Chaffee anything with a slow traverse or turret is your play thing

11. FriendlyFire

If I am caught alone then yes.
    I've done this using med and heavies against lone enemy TDs and SPGs as well. Not to mention the KV is blind. I do miss tier 5 and lower battles since selling my KV off though.

12. GoodGame

It took 16 days of premium account, but I finally got a T32 (T1 HT -> T32).

Now another 220K of XP grinding to get it useful plus get a T34, over the next 3 months.

13. Tykinruoka

Tykinruoka Unlimited power

Currently grinding my way through JP4, since I don't have enough silver to get ISU-152 yet. I really like the tank, since it's really hard to spot and mobile, but the short 88 is really frustrating sometimes. It works on mediums, but if there are more high tier heavies in the game it is bounceorama even if you aim for the weak spots and the HE doesn't do much damage. I've found out that the stugs 7,5 performs better in this TD on open maps due to the rate of fire. You can keep tracking incoming enemies nonstop and let your own heavy hitters finish them off.

Maybe the panthers long 7,5 would be great in this. The damage wouldn't be OP for the tier 6, but atleast it would have enough penetration for higher tiers.

14. GoodGame

Anyone here have the T30 tank? Is it worth getting?

If I understand the heavy patch right (ETA 1st qtr, 2012), the T30 will become a tank destroyer (I believe there will be two separate TD lines for the USA), the T34 will become a tier 8 premium (possibly stat-adjusted), so is it worth grinding thru the T34 to the T30 now?

I'm thinking it's worth it to just unlock the T30, but we'll have to go back to the T29 and grind thru to the next Tier 10 heavy post-patch.

15. MobBoss

I found the JP4 really painful to get through for the simple reason its undergunned for its tier and then ends up in a lot of higher tier fights. Even with the 88/L70 that doesnt change significantly, but it does get better....after grinding for whats seems like forever to unlock the gun. The JagdPanther is just a much better tank all around, and even more so once you get the 105mm on it. At least it can hang in the heavy tier fights.

The main gun on the T30 is just a beast, and hull down, its probably the toughest tank in the game. One tactic I've seen recently is to place the T30 directly behind the T95 to create a wall of near impenetrable armor with a lot of firepower facing out. About the only way to counter it is via arty.

I got a fully upgraded T34, and I will tell you its another painful tank to grind thru. Case in point, you end up in a tier 9 tank but with a 105mm gun with less than 200mm penetration (in comparison the 88/L70 on German tier 7s has 204 penetration). And if I recall correctly, it takes like 60k exp just to unlock the 120mm upgrade. Very, very painful journey to get thru all that, but if you do make it, once the T34 has the 120mm on it, it becomes a match for any tier 9 in the game.

16. FriendlyFire

You need both the tracks and turret before you can unlock the gun.

17. GoodGame

Hey Mobboss, I think I wounded your Tiger tank today.

18. MobBoss

Possibly. I try to log in a few battles a night around 5 to 7 pm pacific. Heh, in a fight on Mines the other day I managed to crush Zardenaar right off the bat with my arty. Always fun to say 'Hi Zard...bye Zard' or something like that to someone you know in WoT. :goodjob:

My garage has grown fairly large however. Here it is:

T-34-85
    IS3
    IS4
    Object 704
    Object 212
    Tiger
    TigerP
    Lowe
    JagPanther
    GWPanther
    Locust (I have a 70%+ win rating in this thing)
    Pershing
    T34
    Tier 7 American TD (cant remember the name)
    M12

Thats 15 tanks. My usual method is to play once through them all for the doubles and thats about all the time I have. I might play my Lowe a couple times more to help out on cashflow a bit.

One odd thing I've noticed is my Tiger has just under a 50% win percentage while my TigerP has closer to a 60% win percentage, although I try to play both of them with largely the same style. The GWPanther is far and away the best piece of arty i've driven yet...it turns on a dime, accelerates quick, and has awesome range and punch. Its a beast. I hated the JadgPanther up until I got the 10.5 cm gun on it. Now its more than holding its own. But the real surprise is the American Locust, and I got it via a WoT promo code my daughter brought me back from PAX. Always fun to play something thats like a go cart with a gun on it. Its outclassed by the newer tier 5 scouts, but its a hoot to play it. And its so fast that it can even circle strafe tanks with fairly good turret traverse.

19. FriendlyFire

10 Kills between me and friend in a Platoon
    We dominated. Pity neither got a top gun out of it

20. Tykinruoka

Tykinruoka Unlimited power

I really like the Lakeville map, but recently I've started to dislike it because of the teams. Why is it that everyone has to lemming rush the swamp and leave the town undefended? Few minutes later the swamp is full of smoking wrecks and the enemy steamrolls through the town.

JP4 grind isn't going very peachy, since the exp income with it is seriously low. I've sold some of my tanks that I don't use all that often(saved the crew ofc.) to make room for something new. I already have about 19 tank slots, so not really interested in wasting gold for more. Now I just need to earn enough silver to get to all the tanks I've unlocked, which is a looong grind(S-51, GW Panther, ISU-152, KV3)

Current stuff:
    T-34
    KV
    SU-26
    SU-85B
    SU-85
    SU-152
    PzIII
    Panther
    JP4
    Easy8
    M6