World of Tanks Beta

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by MobBoss, Aug 13, 2010.

1. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Swamp? On Lakeville?

I think you mean the vally. Lakeville has 3 main approaches - the city, the center road and the vally to the West. Vally is a deathtrap if the opposition guards it. When playing this map I usually tell people 'guard vally, push city', but in PUGs hardly anyone listens.

2. Tykinruoka

Tykinruoka Unlimited power

I just call the valley a swamp, since the ground there is soft and hard to traverse. Really not ideal for attacking without solid tactic.

3. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Valley is winnable with some pushing, but it really does require solid tactics to win, and probably arty support too. I find a big problem is if you dominate in valley with heavy tanks, that you had better have solid defense at base, because through valley there's no way a heavy is going to rush the cap quickly, nor return to base if defenses are taken out.

Lakeville requires either default strategy (TDs to valley, tanks to town, someone black middle road), or careful scouting before you commit your forces.

4. MobBoss

The ground in vally isnt swamp; what slows you down is the uphill angle. Some maps, like Malinovka, do indeed have swamp terrian that slows you down. Lakevilles isnt one of those however.

And I agree with GG on this. The vally is extremely easy to defend, and the only way the push wins in pug games is if it is left grossly unprotected.

5. Tykinruoka

Tykinruoka Unlimited power

Yes, it isn't swamp(I just said I call it a swamp), but the ground is softer than normal. You'll notice it when you drive a lighter tank such as PzIII to the valley bottom from the south base. It's like driving in glue even when you're going downhill.

6. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Death Valley !

I use to cover that area whenever I was in any slow tank. But later on I found it was too much of a campfest very rarely do teams try a death valley push. Back then tank corpses would easily block the pass.

Lately been playing a few doubles for just the T34 and Panther2. Bit ho hum given how ridiculous it now is for the long very long grind to the next tank. At the start it was fun being the only IS,IS3,IS4 running around. But now its just urhhh a pain.

7. MobBoss

Played that map thousands of times and never really noticed that. If anything, I just assumed it was due to elevation issues, and not the actual ground at all.

8. GoodGame

The ground there is really softer than normal for "green grass". It feels a bit like molasses. The traverse is really bad there with a heavy tank.

9. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

GoodGame and Tykinruoka speak truly.

10. MobBoss

Heh, we both know i've played that map a ton GG. I always just attributed it to the terrain slope there.

11. Rheinmetall

Rheinmetall Interplanetary Assassin

I just bought a T-50 and after about 10 games in it I have to say it's a dream come true. I've always wanted a go-kart with a gun. You can pull some insane stunts with it. It's not super fast so crossing wide open areas is risky (A-20 is still better in that), but once you settle into close quarters or can use hills or buildings for cover it rules. The armor is paper thin though.

12. Arexander

Arexander Trucker

Quoted for truth. Just wait 'till you get T-50-2. It's even better!

I recently scored a Top Gun on Fisherman's Bay with T-50. I was the second highest tank on the list so it was mostly just troling around the smaller tanks and evading the occasional howitzer M2 Medium. It was so much fun! :D

13. MobBoss

I have like a 75% win/loss percentage in my American Locust. The really odd thing that throws me off with it is how it can stop on a dime - its like it has uber-power disk brakes or something.

But yeah, even though its a premium tank (I got as a gift) I will play it 'cause its so much fun.

14. FriendlyFire

Whats going on with the Server population ?
    I had to start waiting several minutes for match.

Been stressed out with work and not sleeping at all lately. Started to take medication for sleeping now managed to grab about 5 hours last night feel like crap now

15. GoodGame

IDK, what day was it? Friday night is really slow.

Tonight did seem a little slow, at least in that my Churchill was unusually in the top 1-3 tank slots of several matches in a row.

16. Rheinmetall

Rheinmetall Interplanetary Assassin

Fun is exactly why I've kept a lot of lower tier tanks, like BT-7 and T-28. I'm not playing the game to climb to the upper tiers as fast as I can. If I'm still having fun in my lowly BT-7 running circles around Tigers and Shermans I will. Isn't that what we play these games for. One of my friends recently confessed he doesn't enjoy playing his tiger, but he still insists on suffering in it to get to the next tier.

I am seriously considering buying the locust as the stats suggest it would be a fun tank to play.

[edit]

Don't forget to take advantage of the moscow special this weekend.

I bought a half price KV-3. I don't really need it, but I figured this would be a good opportunity to try it out. And I think it'll pay itself back with the double credits during the weekend.

17. MobBoss

Sorry to hear that FF. If you are stressed not sure WoT is the way to go - seems to me I end up screaming at my computer half the time with some of the idiots I see in pugs. I cant count how many games could have been won if only 1 guy had clue one how to play.

And wth is it with guys in tier 9 and 10s that seem to have no idea of whats going on around them? I dont get it. For example, had a game the other day on Campinovka. As usual, it comes down to the very end but it looks good for us as we have a 75% E100 on the way to the flag. 2 min left and the guy in the E100 literally stops 10 meters from the cap ring in order to take some long distance shots at an enemy arty hauling ass up the zero column to get away. All he had to do was move 10 meters more and we would have won, but the time the idiot took to take a couple of shots at the arty meant he didnt have enough time to cap the flag. How could he not know that the bonus from winning the game would have far outweighed anything he got for killing that arty?

Thats what I am talking about.

Dont get me wrong. I love WoT. But due to the team work nature of the game, the lack of common sense really gets to me at times.

Btw, server pop could have dropped off a bit due to the fact that this weekend is a X5 weekend event (Battle for Moscow) and peeps could be taking a short break prior to pushing it this weekend.

18. GoodGame

Hold onto it for the Q1 2012 patch too. It'll be worth a free tank and free tank slot then. Plus researching through to the IS-4 will pay off as well.

@MobBoss, are you in a clan yet? Join a mature clan (people older than 18) that uses a third party VOIP like Team Speak 3, and the game is actually more fun than pub slaying. People actually use strategy, tactics, and a bit of discipline. I can send an invite to my current clan if you want. Alliances are starting to form, and with clans able to help each other in Clan Battles, the clan war system will become more fun.

19. FriendlyFire

GUILTY as charged !!!!

I 've done that in my IS4 after carrying the entire team being a top tier tank and being targetted by every single enemy artillary for the entire match. I forgo capping (and winning it for the team) over taking the choice to chase down a few enemy SPGs and getting my revenge on them. I got yelled at by the few and a few chuckles by the others.

It was pure self gratification and revenge (and yes I did kill two SPGs before the match ended in a defeat for our team or I could have capped and won it)

I am also doing dailies for my friend while hes on holidays so playing a ton of (the same) tanks. So after a few hours of T34 on my account and hes account trying to get a win any win. One tends to play in a reckless fashion just to get it over and done with.

I've broken the cardinal rule for playing the T34 which is treat it like a support tank or Tank Destroyer only to be punished for it. Patience runs out with team mates with better tanks not pushing and in the end I end up at the front leading the attack. Which is not where you want to be.

20. Arexander

Arexander Trucker

And I'm in Berlin with no WoT in sight. :cry: