World of Tanks Beta

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by MobBoss, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

A bit of a myth about the T54. The patton makes a better scout due to view range, and it has a better gun and can abuse the crest of a hill better.

The E-50 also hase a superior gun to the T54 and is a very fast King Tiger on steroids. Have a look at its gun and compare it to the T54.

The T54 is very agile and it seems to have a role in company batles and clan wars. Inrandom battles the other mediums are better. Someone collected the stats on the WoT forums and the patton has the highest, followed by the E50 and no Russian medium broke the 50% mark. The following month they collected the data from the best 500 or so players which brought all the win ratios up overall with the Russian stuff still the lowest.

The Americans dont really have a bad medium after the Lee and probably have the best tier 7,8,9, mediums. The Germans have the best mediums at tier 5 and 6 with the PzIV,and VK3601 and 3001H while the M4 Sherman and easy 8 don't suck. The Panther, PantherII and E50 have a different role than the USA mediums but they are quite nasty.

T34/85 gets a free ride it seems due to its big gun but it has no armor and stats similar to the hated VK3001P.

2. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

During beta, I actually preferred the upgraded Pershing (which was the highest tier US med at the time) to the T54. Go figure.

3. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Saw Mobboss today right before I picked up the 203mm gun for my S-51. This thing is freaking awesome gameplay-wise, plus it mints credits.

I can oneshot ferdinands, destroy a T32 at 74%, and two-shot an E-75. It has quite a decent bit of splash, which is very nice. I've only fired one AP shell, but it delivered 67% damage to a T34.

Keep in mind this all comes at the price of a ~35 second reload, even at 94% crew.

Shell cost barely increased though - HE is 1400 and AP is 1,000. I made 40k on a defeat; 8 HE shells fired only cost around 11,000 to re-arm. That's a giant profit for a loss.

4. shortguy

shortguy It's a working title

Based on everyone's advice I went for the T-46. Great choice, it's easily my favorite tank so far. Unfortunately, the T-28 is next in line, and it's been simply awful. It's not a good tank--at least, not without a lot of upgrades--and it's completely overmatched in most of the battles I get in. Even my teams seem worse. For some reason my teams do way more stupid camping than in my T-46 battles, and my win ratio is pathetic.

5. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

T-46 leads to T-50-2 which is pretty enjoyable (T-50 is acceptable too). Some Clans and Companies will probably accept you for battles in a T-50-2, once you get it and the crew kitted out to the max. Good choice (assuming you are new to the game). T-46 is also a relatively short grind. Just one tip, you might want to avoid using the autoguns.

T-28 is not horrible, but it takes a long time to get it really serviceable. To me, it's about as bad as the Lee (in before MobBoss says the Lee is an ok tank). T-28 is a necessary grind to get to the Russian heavy tanks.

6. cardgame

T-28 was awesome for me. I only used it for 50 battles before moving on to the KV, but I was very aggressive with it, fired the nice 57mm while moving, hit loads of targets... and had a 60% win ratio by the time I was done, from stock with 50% crew (no sense wasting money training them on a medium tank if we're moving on to heavy).

7. GoodGame

So the news is 7.0 will be out soon, minus a few features to expedite release. They're also be a large number of crew skills, with no clue what they will be. Might be a good idea to not max out all three skills yet.

8. Tykinruoka

Tykinruoka Unlimited power

For me the T-28 was really a great tank. Granted, it's not good stock tank, but what is? The key is not to get shot(that so called armor of yours..), play peek a boo and use your superior mobility. The 57mm is a monster against tier 4 and lower. Tier 5's aren't really a problem either if you just avoid getting into places where you will be focused and overrun. If you don't like the play style needed for the 57mm, then get the 85mm and just hang back and snipe from behind your teams main force. That gun is slow to aim, but it's good against light and medium tanks.

I've got a 70% win ratio with it so far.

9. Rheinmetall

Rheinmetall Interplanetary Assassin

I sure hope first aid will be one of the skills to negate the effects of crew injuries.

10. cardgame

So I got into a big clan :)

About 75 or so members in it so far, with, actually, 2 branches; the first one is almost full up, so I'm in TDC2. Clan battles are great fun with the coordination of voice comms and mature players following a strategy.

11. GoodGame

Yeah they are a big step up from pub matches in which half the team is just grinding without care for cooperation. Clan Wars still gets frustrating when you find good teamwork still doesn't put a tier 9 on par with a tier 10 without premium ammo. That and I don't like to have to fight for 3 hours until about 1 am, every night.

All that and and waiting for the T34 patch has burned me out on the game for a while.

12. MobBoss

Mature players following a strategy?

Where the hell is the fun in that?

13. cardgame

Well, you know, not being ROFLSTOMPED like some pub matches go...

14. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Having gold amo thrown into you face == not fun
    Being an IS4 and getting a steel wall without losing a single HP and 4 kills == fun

Yeah its just the number of E100s and Arty being fielded by clans while using Gold amo, makes for a rather lop sided match up. Its either field the same combination or get stomped in the face.

15. MobBoss

Well, being rated around the top 2800 or so, I absolutely know I got the skills to be in a clan. What prevents me from being in AoD right now (I got a RL friend thats a field commander) is the time and money expecations involved. Participating in that definitely moves me out of the 'casual player' realm to a point that I cant really support.

Now, if I had the free time and cash to support gold ammo to the extent expected, i'd be all over it in a heartbeat. But for right now that simply isnt the case.

And fwiw, frankly, i've seen some clan members in pugs that sucked beyond all comprehension, and even checking their stats afterwords indicated that even clans themselves often take the dregs of the gaming community to fill out their ranks.

Not sure what to make of that.

16. Tykinruoka

Tykinruoka Unlimited power

I love the utter randomness of the normal matches. You never know what is gonna happen. There are bad days, but you can always stop playing and come back later.

The reason why I don't want to go into clanwars is that when gaming gets serious it is going to get less fun eventually(main reasons why I quit WoW & EVE). The game starts to dictate what you do in the evenings and when. People will vent about the silliest little things and mistakes(nobody is perfect) will be looked on like it's the worst sin ever and you can get booted out from clans for "not being active enough in the forums", etc. Sure, there are casual clans, but they're usually just unorganized blobs of people and there isn't really a benefit in joining one besides getting a clan ticker after your name. Platooning with random people just isn't the same as doing it with friends you know.

17. cardgame

Get your bonus code now for 750 gold and 1 day premuim ! :D http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/66830-free-bonus-codes

I bought a T-127 (Russian Hotchkiss, but way better) and a garage spot to hold it in since t-127 is only 425 gold on tanksgiving.

First match I got 5800 (quintupled) something xp and 16,000 credits. 16,000 credits for a tier III tank. :D

18. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

I joined a CW clan last week and it turns out I'm now rated as a top 500 player (450 as of last night). Bored of grinding after 11000 games. I did play with Mobboss the other night but he was drunk

19. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

20. GoodGame

It gets frustrating to lose regularly, or to be abused by one's alliance-mates, but for me it makes it much more interesting because of the strategy and planning involved. Same with the company battles if everyone uses voice-chat. And in turn, I think it makes me a better pubber (random match player). It is true that to be a fanatical clan warrior, you got to dedicate evenings, but I tend to only play it about 3 or 4 nights a week, and even then I can multi-task it with some other activity, like reading.