1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

World Peace Day

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sultan Bhargash, Feb 15, 2003.

1. NY Hoya

NY Hoya Emperor

hundreds of thousands voted for ralph nader, probably millions. They are still fringe in a country of 280 million plus. Your views should be mocked more. It would be a better America if more people in the mainstream exercised their first amendment rights to mock those of you who hate what we have built.

agreed. Thanks for admitting it.

I never said that I could "understand black people". I said I could understand many of those Blacks I saw at the protest. There's a big difference. If you can't see that difference, I suggest professional help. Maybe they were real Black Panthers, I don't know. They weren't dressed like Black Panthers, no berets, not wearing the right clothing, but still chanting the same things. I will reiterate. You are a damn fool if you think what I have said is racist in any way.

I know you do not appreciate your rights because of the views you take. The positions you have taken against war bear this out. If you had a specifically pacifistic view, it would be one thing. You do not. You have an irrational hatred of George Bush, and this has clouded your thinking on the matter.

I'm not defending Whites. I don't care about "whites" as a group. I care about Americans. Those people who love our country, fear what is happening to it, and will defend it to the last drop of their blood. I believe in a completely color blind society. You cannot say the same. Who is the racist? I can assure you it isn't me. Furthermore, do not embarass yourself by bringing up the events of 9-11 as some sort of a defense. I lost people I knew on that day. You almost lost your brother. So what? I was then and still am in more danger than you.

You indirectly have compared George Bush to Hitler. I would guess that none of your relatives or friends lived under Hitler's regime. You have gone too far. If you really think Bush is so bad, leave the country. No one as enlightened as yourself could possibly stand to live under such an oppressive regime. But of course you still can leave, something that many in Iraq, Cuba and other regimes you wish to maintain cannot do. The majority of Americans think Bush is doing a good job. They approve of what he is doing. A larger majority thinks what he is doing is not so bad that it requires protesting. Think about that and see where you really fit in the American spectrum.

Your understanding of diplomacy is either clouded by partisanship or sadly lacking. I tend to think the latter. Our ties to most of Europe are as strong as ever. France and Germany do not support us. So what? Central and Eastern Europe, those people in the western world who have most recently felt the oppression of totalitarianism, support us. Britain, Spain and Italy support us. Russian ties are stronger than ever, regardless of differences on Iraq. Bush and Putin are friends. China hasn't been a friend since before WWII, and I don't see things as that much worse even considering the major incident that happened in the first months of Bush's presidency. China is not any sort of representative democracy, so their voice must always be taken with a grain of salt.

Keep thinking that your fundamental freedoms are under attack. Keep protesting. File some lawsuits. And reap in the reward that is an America changed to suit the needs of the madmen terrorists of the middle east. Then we won't need to worry anymore.

2. Sultan Bhargash

Sultan Bhargash Trickster Reincarnated

3. Steve Winer

Steve Winer Shock the monkey...

I saw that there was an anti-war protest here in K-town, but I declined to go because it has been pouring down rain here all day.:(

4. NY Hoya

NY Hoya Emperor

"peace in our time"

N. Chamberlain

5. Sultan Bhargash

Go for it hot shot ;)

What is it that YOU have built in your life Hoya? I don't hate "what we have built". But go on and mock, display the cleverness...

You called them - dismissed them as- Black Panther wannabes. Why bring in the 60s civil rights movement if not to mock it?

Is anybody getting this? Because I am against War, indeed AS A PACIFIST if you ever encountered any other thread where I've mentioned it, I do not appreciate my rights. You are telling me what I think, how I feel. HOW DARE YOU? :angry:

I don't hate anyone, but my dislike for Bush is certainly not irrational. It isn't based on what he did to an intern, for example, but on what he hasn't done for our country.

"Affrimative action is racist against whites" - that was how you proved that I was somehow a racist. Very Limbaughian.

I love our country, I fear what is happening it, and I will defend it to the last drop of my blood. Do you care about me yet? No because you have a monomaniacal focus common to your side of the fence.

I believe we are not yet colorblind, you think we are. Who is in denial? I can assure you it isn't me.

And the victims of families who were at the protest in New York today saying "not in our name"- any sympathy there? No, they are more fringe groups. My brother has to go into New York to work every day. I want him safe for the rest of his life. You want to make sure a new crop of terrorists is planted and harvested in a second gulf war. I am not embarassed.

No they died and were imprisoned fighting Hitler, not banking for him like the ancestors of our president. I didn't compare him, but the comparison is being made at these protests, that profoundly bothers me, and I don't blame millions of protestors for drawing that conclusion.
    I blame Bush's severe mismanagement of the whole affair.

For the millionth time, I do not wish to maintain them. I don't see Bush beating down the door to liberate Cuba or China. He thought he was picking a ripe plum when he targeted Iraq, the nobody would mind some more towel heads biting the dust. They mind.

Unverifiable propaganda. Yes more people stayed home than went to the protest. And more people stayed home than went to the polls. I fit squarely among the patriots who are being silenced by lunkheads like you.

Eastern Europe, great allies to have. Cheap substitute for our longtime western allies. Can be bought.

Their people don't, but democracy is only needed in Iraq, right.

Never understand what you "Patriots" like about Russia and China, but no, they are no different from Germany and France in their distaste for this war.

That's what I got- an America changed to suit the needs of madmen terrorists from the middle east, an America where I can't go on an airplane with nail clippers, where orange alerts and bogus advice about duct tape are issued, and where "terror" is used to justify every move the government makes to strip the constitution, sink the economy, and make war on the world. It is the vision Bush licked his chops over on September 11, and you sir are no Patriot but a traitor to this nation if you think otherwise.

6. andrewgprv

andrewgprv Second Class Citizen

Sultan I think that you just let things get to ya too much, at some point ya gotta learn to blow things off otherwise you'll have a corinary.

I know what being an American is. It is not blindly accepting what my goverenment tells me. Or blindly following the crowd. Or saluting the Flag no matter what it stands for. Being American is about questioning your government it is about questioning the majority. It is about voicing your beliefs and ideas no matter how fringe they are considered.

7. vonork

vonork Emperor

Numbers of protesters as reported through EuroNews

3 million in Rom, Italy

2 million in Madrid, Spain
    1.5 million In Barcelona, Spain

1 million in London, England

A couple of 100.000 in Paris (Franc) & Berlin (Germany)

Guess the French and the Germans don’t see the need to protest as mush as their government’s allredy is pulling in the direction of more time and UN resolution before war, while England, Spain and Italy has backed the US on a strike even without UN support.

8. Sultan Bhargash

@andrewgprv- thanks. I just can't stand to be called anti-American by people who don't know the constitution from toilet paper. I will chill out now, being forced away from the computer by domestic unit 2.

9. vonork

vonork Emperor

Though I should cheack out other news sites for numbers, it is a bit amusing but, NYtimes & wasingthonpost have articles about the peace march already up with numbers a bit lower(750.000 for London) while NYpost and wasingthintimes have no articles about it at all up, at least not at this time.

Like the reports about the italic media, that is mostly Belrusconi frendly has not taken up the news about the march in Rom that mush, witch have ledd to protesters by the newsstaff.

10. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Television here reported of about half a million people in Berlin and many more in many more cities.
    The Demonstration in Berlin was (no matter the exact number) the largest anti-war demonstration in the history of the country!

Pretty significant if you think about the connection between war and the country. ;)

11. cromagnon

cromagnon Emperor

Sorry, I skipped most of the flamewar between Sultan and Hoya, so my apologies if I say anything redundant.

I didn't attend the protests, because I feel it won't do any good. Bush is going to invade, even if Saddam opens the country entirely to inspections, and 'fesses up about hidden weapons, which I'm sure he has. The steamroller's been set in motion.

My girlfriend was one of those in the NY crowd, and she reported it to be a peaceful, non-hate-mongering experience. Just the usual chanting of "no war." She reported no pro-Saddam speech, but there were some anti-Bush signs. Of course, there will always be some fringe elements within the 'fringe element.'

The only negative experience she reported was that one black man demanded that she leave the area because it was a "people of color area." Of course, she couldn't, because she was carrying the drum cases for her Korean friends; and she didn't let one freak in the crowd ruin her day either.

Sorry I can't contribute anything more substantial, but I've pretty much given up on seeing a way out of war.

12. D' Artagnan

D' Artagnan Mousquetaire du Roi

That sort of comments pisses me off :mad:
    Who are you to say that ? Would you like it if someone comes and to you and says 'we're gonna invade Israel 'cos we don't like Sharon' ? Personnaly I wouldn't. It's not because a country isn't a democracy that it is 'evil'.

13. Lefty Scaevola

Lefty Scaevola Moderatus Illuminatus Super Moderator

Well, from the messages I though there was more cyber carnage being done, but this does not seem all that bloody. To save TF some administrative time, and leave you guys operable in the game forums I am going to do a experiment here. Self ban/cooloing off period from the OT & History forums. Sultan do not post in these two forums until intil Wednesday Feb 19, NY Hoya do not do so until Monday Feb 17..

14. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

Funny, I watched Gandhi today. Fitting. :yeah:

15. Immortal

Immortal Deity

hey, it got unlocked.

16. Chairman Yang

Chairman Yang Member

My older sister joined the demonstration in our nations capital today since she so conveniently lives there, althoguh myself I consider "demonstrations" and "protests" to be fruitless attempts of change, at least in such "democracies" we live in today, and would rather see these men and women with the same enthusiasm take up arms against the oppression, rather than giving them a good laugh, as they did today.

Of course I would very much want for events such as these to have an actual effect or mean anyhting for the outcome of the actual cause or point trying to be made, rather then just letting them get away with saying "disagreement noticed, now we´ll attack Iraq".

But if one of todays demonstrations is to be noticed, it is the one in Moscow, where the communist-party burned american flags amongst other things. :D

17. Immortal

Immortal Deity

Chairman Yang:

Oh yes, I suppose all the civil rights and political rights you SHOULD enjoy must be taxing on you. I have the distinct feeling you would crimple like moist kleenex if your lost your ability to A)Access the internet B) Spew you hateful garbage on said internet C) Make everyone sick from reading your posts.

18. knowltok2

knowltok2 Deity

Actually, they said, "We're gonna invade Israel 'cos we don't want it to exist." Multiple times from multiple directions if memory serves. I doubt he or any other Israelis liked it very much at all.

19. G-Man

G-Man A One Man's War

I didn't say we should replace dictatorships because their evil (although most of them are) but because their people don't have the basic rights they should have - the right to decide their own future, freedom, the right to express their ideas. Israelis have them. Sharon was elected by Israelis, and in Israel Israelis are the ones to decide who should rule. In Egypt, Iraq, Syria, Iran, N Korea, etc, the people didn't decide on the leader, and the leader - not the people - is the one who decides what the country does.

20. Greadius

Greadius :yeah:

I just watched a quick report on CNN. It was weird to see all those throngs of people with nothing better to do. Its baffling to me why so many people across the world think its their responsibility to ensure Saddam's regime stays in power... err, I mean make sure Iraqi children only die because of Saddam, no, I mean die because of the sanctions... which are their 'alternative' to war :confused: